Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: winter vehicle loadout how do you do yours?

Default winter vehicle loadout how do you do yours?

as for me i live on the western prarie where it can get -50 or worse.
    so i carry a lot of gear.tow chains,snoshoes,xtra thermals, propane,and stove freezedri food
    snacks, water,wool and fleece blankets,hand warmers, bees wax candles,animal furs.2 EDC bags
    w- 1st aid kit as well as a trauma kit, cellphone and charger.gas can jumpercables,tools,flares,bowsaw
    and axe, duct tape survivaltabs,maps flashlights ,sno shovel ,wet wipes and so on. that,s how i pack the vehicle.

how do you?

In my area, the winters aren't as severe as a rule of thumb. We do get ice storms that knock down trees and power poles, so I'm not driving in that.
    Other than having some food, water, a couple blankets, that's all I do.
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

I'm in the middle between Mr. Fix It and the OP. I always have a 1st aid kit, water, food, a couple of wool blankets, cell phone charger, change of clothes, basic tools, tow straps, and jumper cables in my car no matter what time of the year it is. In the winter I add a 2gal bucket with a 50/50 mix of salt and dry-spill, a small pointed shovel, an extra coat, and inspect everything to make sure it is in good working order, winter appropriate, and does not need replaced.

Also, before winter, I inspect tires, brakes, all lights, wipers, and change out fluids to winter mix (including windshield wiper fluid).
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

yep like you nater i too keep the vehicle prepped year round and in winter add the winter gear.
    ust got a newset of tires and fronend alighinment and all fluids changed and topped off.
    i find it inerresting how many people carry nothing in thier cars dems da sheeple i guess.

natertot,

Would you please explain what you mean by "Dry-Spill"? Thanks.
    Last edited by sjj; 06-10-2015 at 03:43 AM.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I live about 50 miles from Nate and have the same weather patterns.

Snow emergencies happen near home 99.9999% of the time. Chances of needing preps for winter in the woods are about zero, so preps for surviving while stranded right in the middle of the road inside the urban corridors is the biggie for us.

I have always considered the most dangerous thing that happens to us being stuck on the freeway in a traffic backup during severe weather. This happens often, day or night, and it lasts for hours. A few years ago my SIL was trapped on a bridge over the Ohio River for 7 hours in temps well below freezing, because traffic on the interstate was blocked for 25 miles due to ice. TPTB simply shut down the road with the obvious intent of not opening it until spring came and thawed the ice! Those caught in their cars with no food, water, no emergency clothing or supplies and rapidly emptying gas tanks were SOL.

My winterizing is geared more toward surviving inside the car until the traffic starts moving again thought patterns. I do still keep the standard emergency gear, food for a week, water, tarps and "survival gear", but in winter I add and extra full sized parka, bibs, wool socks and snow pack boots along with candles, space blanket, huge "pee jug", and proper gear to turn the car into an igloo.

The most important prep is keeping the gas tank topped up. If you leave for work with 1/4 tank because that is plenty to get you there and back you may freeze to death because you were not equipped to sit and idle with the heater going for 5-7 hours.

Plan on using about a gallon per hour in that situation.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 10-31-2014 at 09:09 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I'm in about the same boat as Nator and Kyrat. About the only thing that would happen is being stranded in an urban or suburban environment However, we do have a couple of Interstates (I65 and I70) that can be closed because of blowing snow. If you get caught in that situation then you can plan on a day or two. My winter gear stays in the car all year long with everything else. I've been known to retrieve my coat because of a cold rain/wind at a softball game a time or two. You never know when it will come in handy. I keep a small Esbit stove along with an aerial marker in the car just for the interstate situation. My biggest fear is getting run over if you get stuck on the interstate.

Just remember to run you car engine 10 minutes in every hour and do so with both the drivers window and passenger window cracked about 1 inch for cross ventilation. And don't forget to check the tailpipe so it doesn't get covered by snow. You don't want to block the exhaust. I have also replaced all the bulbs in my vehicle to LED to save the battery.

LED Lights
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...hlight=vehicle

I also have a What To Do List in the vehicle in case my wife gets stuck and I'm not there:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...hlight=vehicle

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Living in the middle of Alaska, we also get severe, deep cold. In the winter, with the exception of one way, way out of town trip I make annually, I mostly stick to driving to town and back. Of course, going off the road at -50 can be big trouble. I normally carry a shovel and boots and bibs if I am not already wearing them. In the winter, I'll already have my big parka and gloves on. I keep hand warmers in the car. Can't keep water in the car as of course, it would freeze. Like KRS said, a full gas tank is really important and I do pay more attention to that in the winter.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

My stuff ride around with me all year....spring and fall I check batteries on flashlights (day light saving time)....take out water for the winter....change out/restock snacks.

Lately I have just carry water in a igloo cooler....if they break they are contained.

Used to change out....getting lazy....so just buy bigger vehicles these days.

Lots of stuff has been used, like winter clothes and blankets by others when caught in a cold snap.....outfitted MB and family at a reunion with coats and jackets.
    Have used the FAK many times, flashlights and emergency equipment helping others...even road flares (LOL) at a wreck on a dark and stormy night......

Gas/Fuel tanks on or almost full most always.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I change my truck over on daylight savings time.
    After one night of not making it home, if there is a snowstorm, I no longer take the highways home. And depending on how many other smart cookies there are out there, I may not take a primary off-highway route home either. Truck is 4-wheel drive. It's been a real tiger in the snow. Since my commute is 50Mi one way, on more than one occasion I've just gotten a room at a local hotel on the company discount to avoid driving in the mess. Gotta do that early though, before the price goes up.

The winter gear is my go-bag with a full change of clothes, a -20 sleeping bag in a drybag, a candle stove with extra candles, boots, bibs, and a second sweatshirt. I'm usually wearing gloves and sweatshirt with a barn coat or similar overcoat all winter. The emergency stuff stays there all the time like the heavier 'space blanket' and the first aid kit and the food. The water, I empty about 1/3 of it out of the bottles and just let it freeze. I don't leave them out there all winter though. Will change them out every few weeks when I remember.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    The water, I empty about 1/3 of it out of the bottles and just let it freeze. I don't leave them out there all winter though. Will change them out every few weeks when I remember.
    Good point about cycling the water in bottles, that's a great idea.
    I do the same....use one a day... 3 day a week at therapy, so its cycled thru real regular.
    Last edited by hunter63; 10-31-2014 at 08:48 PM. Reason: splin'

Sleeping bag, mylar blanket, down booties, mittens, gloves, hats, extra coat, rain gear, machete, tomahawk, multiple LED flashlights, duct tape, fluorescent orange surveyor's tape and flags, zip lock bags, tinder and firesteels, water, food, and most important of all...TOILET PAPER!

toiletpaper is a must and having some wetwipes is good also. i did not mention space blanket but i keep one as well
    in one of the packs in the vehicle the thick one not the flinsy 2,00 dollar one.

I carry the usual, in addition a 12 volt trouble light that clips onto the battery posts and a remington 700 in 30-06.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Quote Originally Posted by tjwilhelm View Post
    Sleeping bag, mylar blanket, down booties, mittens, gloves, hats, extra coat, rain gear, machete, tomahawk, multiple LED flashlights, duct tape, fluorescent orange surveyor's tape and flags, zip lock bags, tinder and firesteels, water, food, and most important of all...TOILET PAPER!
    Funny story about TP......
    On a new job site.....had my service truck....met the older guy I was supposed to work with....he had his own truck.

Site had port-potties,but one day he asked if I had TP aboard...Said Yes......

Then he says "How about a 3 pound coffee can".
    Said , No
    Then he says, "Better get one, with kitty litter."
    Guess I looked puzzled......
    Then he says, "You are getting older, so you need to start carrying one in your truck,...to crap in....Get's harder to hold it when you are old."

The newer plastic ones have a better handle molded in........

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I learned from the extended family, which contained a whole bevy of career women, that one of the primary concerns was not being able to use the bathroom while stuck on the road.

I have found a plastic oil change recycling container the best for that use, especially in the womens' vehicles. Low and flat with a very wide screw on lid.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/RhinoGear-...n-Pan/20440557

(also makes a good pee jug for tent camping)

We had one situation where the SIL was coming home w/her 3 kids, all teens. She got a mile away from the house and stuck in a traffic situation on a secondary road that was total gridlock. Their house was just over the next hill.

The kids bailed on her!

They walked home, made supper, packed her a plate and bicycled back to the car, which had not moved an inch in two hours.

Since she was decked out for work, wearing stiletto heels, they brought her a pair of good shoes and she walked to the house herself, leaving the kid to car-sit another shift.

They rotated car-sitting duty for more than 7 hours before getting the vehicle the last mile to home.

I gifted her a well set up "get home bag" the next day.

Not only did she appreciate it but the other women in the family demanded that I make them the same.

Uncle Krat's "get home bag" became a tradition and each niece and nephew got their own as they obtained their driver's license and their own car.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 11-01-2014 at 10:57 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Since I always have a roll of paper towels under my front seat, never thought about TP. But a coffee can with cat litter, that sounds like a good idea. My buddy had to put a small crapper in his boat because getting old sucks when out on the ocean fishing for the day... He calls it the "Code Brown." LOL.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

KRAT all i can say is the lord works in mysterious ways and god bless you.
    i too have gifted others you once had mentioned about some people that have gear in thier
    colsetsw for 10yrs and have never used it.that said isay gift someone who could really use it.
    i have done just that in the past and i might add it is a real warm fuzzy for sure.
    no sense holding on to gear if you have that much when thier,s someone who could really use it.
    the very thing that traffic gridlock was probably meant to be cause look what came of it.

I've carried TP in the vehicles for ever and catch flak from the family all the time. "What do you do stop beside the road and take a dump?". Yea, if I have too I will. The last time we were out shooting my daughter borrowed a roll. I told don't ever get on my case again. Furthermore, I expect backing when the rest of the ungratefuls start in.

If she borrowed it, did you get it back? what then?
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?