Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sausage stuffed Amanita

Quote Originally Posted by your_comforting_company View Post
    I had always been under the impression that amanita was a poisonous species, so I never messed with them. Maybe time to start learning mushrooms. That looks delicious!
    Amanita is just the genus-There are several species in that genus, a lot of them poisonous and even deadly. Eating an Amanita species is considered to be left for experts, and for good reason.

It's very fun, but i'd strongly recommend some other basic edibles to start with. Boletes can be a good choice, because although there are poisonous look alikes, none are deadly. But some easier ones would be shaggy manes, oyster mushrooms, and any other very distinct mushroom.

The Only Amanitas I touch are the Ceasar's. But if I were better with the family I might branch out. Good for you for overcoming the Amanita prejudice ;D

The dishes look great!

Quote Originally Posted by wilderness medic View Post
    Went for a walk and picked some of the biggest, nicest, firm Amanita calyptroderma i've ever seen. About a pound and a half each.
    Hi!
    What type of environment did you find these in?
    I use to see A. Muscaria often in the Sierra (Nevada County) during the time working as a geologist, mostly in meadows and/or near heavy pine forest.
    A guy I knew liked to fry cutlets in butter & spice and add to pasta (after detoxifying).
    I tried them once... they weren't bad.

Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    Hi!
    What type of environment did you find these in?
    I use to see A. Muscaria often in the Sierra (Nevada County) during the time working as a geologist, mostly in meadows and/or near heavy pine forest.
    A guy I knew liked to fry cutlets in butter & spice and add to pasta (after detoxifying).
    I tried them once... they weren't bad.
    Hello!

They are fruiting all over in Mendocino county in the oak and pine litter. The first place I found these was actually in Nevada county.

I have yet to see A. muscaria here. Both of these mushrooms will only be found under trees they have formed mycorrhizae with, as it is required for them to grow.

Eh! Detoxifying them? That's a sin! Fry and eat.

This makes sense, I always saw them very close to edge of meadow or within the pine trees.
    Yeah he would boil them first and then sauté. I never looked into cooking methods for these, are you saying that simple heat is sufficient for removing toxins, one doesn't need to boil?

Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    This makes sense, I always saw them very close to edge of meadow or within the pine trees.
    Yeah he would boil them first and then sauté. I never looked into cooking methods for these, are you saying that simple heat is sufficient for removing toxins, one doesn't need to boil?
    No, i'm saying why would you want to remove the Muscimol. LOL. More of a joke...

Boiling them with enough water and discarding the water will remove the majority of the Ibotenic acid and Muscimol. I personally don't bother with that. Ibotenic acid is mostly the "toxin" that causes the ill effects. Cooking them converts the majority of the Ibotenic acid into Muscimol.

I am NOT saying to do this. Muscimol can still be very potent and varies from mushroom to mushroom. It has never made me sick in any way. But everyone is different. I'm not recommending you do this.

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    Those uni rolls look fantastic. I'm glad to see somebody getting mileage out of the A. calyptroderma. They tend to stink by the time I find them and while I can identify them reasonably, I don't like the state of their taxonomy and have a prejudicial mistrust of the group. For reasons more and less obvious, I'm a lot more cautious with Amanita than even safety mandates.
    Totally. Much Kudos to you WM.

What are the ID'ing features that stand out for you?