Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sausage stuffed Amanita

I would totally chow down on that!
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

looks great!

Choke, sputter. Those green thingies gotta go. I can do one a year but that's it. Everything else looks yummy. Those mushrooms look like pancakes from the top. Nice job.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Choke, sputter. Those green thingies gotta go. I can do one a year but that's it. Everything else looks yummy. Those mushrooms look like pancakes from the top. Nice job.
    Lol! Brussel sprouts are delicious!

Good time of year around here. A lot of my meals have at least something harvested from nature. Last night was blue rock fish fillet and uni battleship rolls.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Blog Entries

Uni?????? Uni will NEVER pass through my lips again!!!!!
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    We use to tell the kids they were green baby Martian Heads.........so...

Rick, those are green baby Martian Heads.....eat'em up.....LOL

"S'rooms" looking delicious.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I used to think there wasn't much I wouldn't eat but since I've been on this forum I've discovered the world's worst menu items. Everything from balut to brussel sprouts have been posted. Blech.

OK, OK, Ok.....Take a deep breath.....Now repeat "Bacon, Bacon, Bacoooooon...."
    There,...... better?

Remember this is Wilderness Survival, not Magic Chef.........

Uni is delicious!!! One bad experience at a restaurant Ken? Ever had it fresh?

Still waiting to try balut.

Mmm. Bacon would have been good on these mushrooms.

Looks delicious.

On the balut note - I doubt seriously if I will ever have one again. I ate 17 during Chief's Initiation.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Looks delicious.

On the balut note - I doubt seriously if I will ever have one again. I ate 17 during Chief's Initiation.
    Ick. I'd like to try it but idk about 17!

Those uni rolls look fantastic. I'm glad to see somebody getting mileage out of the A. calyptroderma. They tend to stink by the time I find them and while I can identify them reasonably, I don't like the state of their taxonomy and have a prejudicial mistrust of the group. For reasons more and less obvious, I'm a lot more cautious with Amanita than even safety mandates.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    Those uni rolls look fantastic. I'm glad to see somebody getting mileage out of the A. calyptroderma. They tend to stink by the time I find them and while I can identify them reasonably, I don't like the state of their taxonomy and have a prejudicial mistrust of the group. For reasons more and less obvious, I'm a lot more cautious with Amanita than even safety mandates.
    Thanks. Unfortunately 2 of them for some reason were horrible. Haven't had that problem before.

Yeah I was stoked on the Amanitas. Normally they aren't in that good of shape, and when they're big they're fishy. But these were big and perfect. You can tell as big as they were they weren't even completely mature. The cap was still convex and hadn't planed out yet.

I do feel a bit nervous every time. Something about eating a mushroom in the same genus of death caps is unnerving no matter how many times you do it. But if I dont have a multitude of identifiable characteristics I chuck. Actually if even ones not there I toss it. I may know it's right but if the rain has washed off the universal veil I toss. Not worth messing around with. Oddly enough there are only a few I trust myself to ID. I'm more comfortable with this Amanita than a lot of safer boletes and such.

Here's a video of a hunt a week ago.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbs0PWVCio8

Actually brussels sprouts slice in quarters and fried in bacon grease are really good, Rick. Throw in some sliced onions and you might find them passable.

I just can't bring myself to eat wild mushrooms. Had a college professor that was an expert took us out shrooming one weekend but can't do it beyond occasional Chicken of the Woods now.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

I think cause my big brother hated brussels sprouts. I love them.

In fact we eat all of the cultivars of Brassica oleracea. We eat quite a bit of collard greens, kale, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli and what not!

never had fried brussels sprouts in bacon grease. But, like the man says, money can't buy happiness. But, it can buy bacon and that's close enough!

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    I think cause my big brother hated brussels sprouts. I love them.

In fact we eat all of the cultivars of Brassica oleracea. We eat quite a bit of collard greens, kale, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli and what not!

never had fried brussels sprouts in bacon grease. But, like the man says, money can't buy happiness. But, it can buy bacon and that's close enough!
    We like all the cabbage and greens family as well....told the kids early on they couldn't have any.....DD still loves spinach.
    Last edited by hunter63; 11-01-2014 at 06:54 PM. Reason: splin'

I love all of them except the B Sprouts. I just don't like the flavor.

If I eat brussel sprouts, I can clear a room in a few hours. Passive aggressive, maybe not so passive LOL.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I had always been under the impression that amanita was a poisonous species, so I never messed with them. Maybe time to start learning mushrooms. That looks delicious!