Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How do you get over the fear of camping by yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by medic
    A bit of a far stretch there wouldn't you say.

No. If it was I wouldn't have posted it. We'll just agree to disagree on this one. I'll carry when I want and you don't have to. I hope that's not something you ever regret.

Just like I carry a few bandaids in my wallet, a lighter in my pocket and a knife (or two) while I am out, I do carry a firearm. It is not out of fear or paranoia, but rather just part of being prepared.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    Since getting back in to camping nearly all of it is done solo. I never even give it a thought.
    Oh and the most lethal thing I'm allowed to carry is a spoon! I'm pretty darn good at a thwack upside the head with the flat of the bowl.
    I guess I can say I have never really thought about camping alone, for the sake of camping only.
    As in "I'm gonna go camping alone....to see if I can do it", for many years, or childhood.

Most every trip has been a hunting trip, canoe trip, fishing trip, and even primitive camping....both rendezvous and practice trips.

In all cases some sort of firearm is along....be it the tackle box snake gun...or the muzzle-loader or pistol, shot gun, rifle...., de jure.

The modern camping in a camp ground or even motel, is really the only time I carry on purpose for more than just 4 legged varmints.

The change in the laws has extended what and where, I carry, but generally have something near by....like my pocket knives, EDC kit wallet, keys......
    Winter is coming so something bigger than the NAA mini or LCP change out may occur.

All this said, carrying a gun has nothing to do with fear of camping alone....but it doesn't hurt.
    Overcoming that fear has to do with your confidence, familiarity, skill level, altitude, and desire.
    Last edited by hunter63; 11-02-2014 at 11:55 AM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I've reread what I said and what was posted. I'm still failing to see where you guys are getting the impression that i'm saying I don't want to or don't. Again i've been pretty clear, my gun goes with my as much as it can. I however don't break laws and take it on federal ground. Call me a rebel but I can still mail a package or go to the doctors without a gun without having to worry about needing it in that short time, and either break the law or staying home.

A lot of those comments were to Ky, who said he won't go anywhere without carrying, wont leave his house after a certain time, or at all on certain day, and of all ghastly things avoids fatty foods Ky also seemed to think I was categorizing him in the "realm of lunatic" fringe. Not at all. My personal opinion on not needing to carry. Do what makes you feel happy and safe.

I wasn't suggesting you carried a gun because you were SCARED. I agree with the statement about "What are you scared of? Not a damn thing" The comments about living in fear were in regards to restricting your life and things you'd like to do out of fear of not being able to carry in certain places or at certain times. Statistically, and logically, you are MOST LIKELY to not need it in that short time period.

As far as not being a stretch- So then you don't eat unhealthy foods right? That's a bit like saying the shortest way off this cliff is straight down. If I die, oh well.

There are a lot of "unsafe" things one can do or not do. I minimize my risks as much as possible, but not being able to carry a gun everywhere at every moment is just not one of the highest risks. I do when I can, but also realize life is life, and i'm not going to avoid it because I can't. I also get in the ocean to dive, realizing a Great White could literally bite me in half at any moment. I take this risk because I love it, and have accepted when it's my time, it's my time. The chances are extremely low. Does that make me a lunatic for not staying on the beach shaking my head thinking no way man, there's a small chance I could get injured or die.

We can agree to disagree on this one, it just seems a lot of you are taking the point I was trying to make out of context or wrong, sorry if I didn't explain it the way I was trying.
    Last edited by wilderness medic; 11-02-2014 at 12:12 PM.

We get it......You disagree.

So do you carry camping?

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    We get it......You disagree.

So do you carry camping?
    Camping/day hiking- Yes, unless the law prohibits it.

Long distance multiple day or week hiking. Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by wilderness medic View Post
    Camping/day hiking- Yes, unless the law prohibits it.

Long distance multiple day or week hiking. Nope.
    So you don't feel the need to carry a weapon for camping?.I believe that most hikers don't as well, as it adds weight.

I am not a Hiker hiker...hiking for the sake of cover miles......I hike to get some where, to do some thing, so camping and gear is sorta different as well.

We all have our own ways, thoughts and habits.....nothing wrong with that.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    So you don't feel the need to carry a weapon for camping?.I believe that most hikers don't as well, as it adds weight.

I am not a Hiker hiker...hiking for the sake of cover miles......I hike to get some where, to do some thing, so camping and gear is sorta different as well.

We all have our own ways, thoughts and habits.....nothing wrong with that.
    That's tricky, I can't say I feel the NEED to carry while camping. I however have a strong desire to be able to protect myself. And feel it's my right, especially if it's at an actual camp site with other people, who tend to get drunk, loud and confrontational. Day hiking, I do. I live next to and hike in a national/demonstration forest that is notorious for guerrilla marijuana grows. In fact Aaron Bassler the shot the ex mayor and his friend when they stumbled upon his grow which led to almost a month long national man hunt for him in this forest. I've already come across remnants of grows.

But if i'm hiking loong miles and shaving every ounce, nope. No firearm, or ammo. Not worth the slim chance of needing it to pack extra pounds. If that means i'm the 1 in 1,000,000 (Or more, whatever it is) to get tied up and mutilated, so be it. I'm ok with those odds.

A gun's a good thing to have when you need it.

I carry hiking and camping. Federal land uses state law except in a few instances. Military bases and Corps of Engineers. They set their own standards.

I don't have any problem camping alone. If there's an area where I feel like I might be bothered or that I might be a little unsafe due to one reason or another, I take my hound dog with me. When I camp alone however I don't go outside of cel phone range, and try to keep in areas that are close to civilization in case I have an emergency of some sort. That way I don't die alone because I stepped in a hole and broke my ankle or took a bad fall.

If I decide that I want to camp out in the wilderness I always bring someone along, so they can haul my *** out if I get hurt (or I can haul their *** out). I've never had an emergency, but I've heard stories from people that I've hung out with.

Every place I camp takes you out of cellphone range.

In Malaysia, there are no cellphone coverage the moment you are at the trail head.......and sat phone bills are so darn expensive....!!!!
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

I was a bit scared the first couple of times I went by myself. Of course, the very first time, I had a bear encounter too so that did put the fear well into me. But I found that once I got in my tent and blocked out all the vast tundra, I felt more secure. That was really strange actually. Now I am not scared at all. I love to go out alone. When I car camp I'll take my kids but when I go out backpacking, I go by myself.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    I was a bit scared the first couple of times I went by myself. Of course, the very first time, I had a bear encounter too so that did put the fear well into me. But I found that once I got in my tent and blocked out all the vast tundra, I felt more secure. That was really strange actually. Now I am not scared at all. I love to go out alone. When I car camp I'll take my kids but when I go out backpacking, I go by myself.
    I know our California bears are no Alaskan bears, but do you really fear them? The only ones i've had have been rather uneventful, besides blocking me from going to the bathroom lol. I came up on a Grizzly hunting last month and he ran almost quicker than I snapped up and could get my sights on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    Every place I camp takes you out of cellphone range.
    Pretty much the same here.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by wilderness medic View Post
    I know our California bears are no Alaskan bears, but do you really fear them? The only ones i've had have been rather uneventful, besides blocking me from going to the bathroom lol. I came up on a Grizzly hunting last month and he ran almost quicker than I snapped up and could get my sights on him.
    I'm no longer fearful of them. The only time one scared me was I was out backpacking by myself for the first time and he was coming right for me. But just because I am no longer scared of them doesn't mean that I don't take all necessary precautions and am very alert. When I go backpacking, it is not on any trails but across the open tundra. But even on the open tundra, bears can hide. Bears maul and or kill people here every year. Here are a few.

The second grizzly bear mauling in less than two months on the outskirts of Alaska's largest city has sent another runner to the hospital with serious injuries. The attack this time came in Bird Valley, just south of Anchorage. It follows on an attack at Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson in mid-May.

http://www.adn.com/article/20140707/...near-anchorage
    ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — Jessica Gamboa grew up hearing you should play dead during a bear attack, and she put that knowledge to the ultimate test when she ran into a brown bear on the grounds of a military base.

The bear knocked Gamboa down, then picked her up and threw her to the ground. The bear went on to pummel Gamboa several times more with her powerful paws.

Throughout the May 18 attack, Gamboa lay in a fetal position and remained silent.

That action likely saved her life.
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...ttack/9751353/
    Monday morning Knudsen was jogging alone along Bird Creek Trail on the way to Penguin Peak – amid Chugach State Park, slightly closer to Girdwood than Anchorage – when she came across a brown bear sow and two

Knudsen told emergency responders one of the cubs appeared from brush about 10 yards up the trail. It rushed her way, and almost immediately she was hit from behind by the sow. http://www.ktuu.com/news/news/troope...uling/26829642
    JOINT BASE ELMENDORF-RICHARDSON, Alaska – Bloodied and dazed after being slashed by the claws of a brown bear, a woman struggled to walk 2 miles along a curvy, hilly trail to find someone to help her.

The woman, who has asked that her identity not be released, was hospitalized in stable condition Monday, a day after the attack on an Anchorage military base, officials said. She suffered lacerations to her neck, arms and legs.cubs.
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/05/20...while-jogging/
    A bear killed a 64-year-old Fairbanks man late Thursday outside a cabin on Lake George, southeast of Delta Junction, according to Alaska State Troopers.

It was unclear Friday what kind of bear attacked Robert Weaver, forcing a family member to hide inside the cabin and block the door, troopers said.

A wildlife trooper shot and killed a black bear that "wandered on scene" later, but it is unknown if that is the bear that mauled Weaver, a troopers statement said. State wildlife biologists say they will examine its carcass and are looking into the circumstances of the rare fatal bear mauling in Interior Alaska.

..."Based on the way the bear was approaching the trooper and the civilian, it wouldn't surprise us. It was actively sneaking up on them," Peters said.
    http://www.adn.com/article/20130607/...delta-junction
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    I'm no longer fearful of them. The only time one scared me was I was out backpacking by myself for the first time and he was coming right for me. But just because I am no longer scared of them doesn't mean that I don't take all necessary precautions and am very alert. When I go backpacking, it is not on any trails but across the open tundra. But even on the open tundra, bears can hide. Bears maul and or kill people here every year. Here are a few.
    Crazy Alaskan bears. The only fatal ones I could find in the last 150 years were from 2 captive ones lol...

I can not even begin to understand how you can think animals, bugs or virmin will not visit you in the night.