Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: How do you get over the fear of camping by yourself?

Lions, tigers, and bears, oh my!
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

Quote Originally Posted by MrFixIt View Post
    Lions, tigers, and bears, oh my!
    Oh my is right.

I don't care if a bear was far more dangerous, since we're talking about fear, there is something absolutely satanic sounding about a mountain lions growls and screams. I don't care if it was a beetle making this noise, sounds a lot "scarier" than a bear growl to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVZCAQP6eQM

I googled the place I was at, looking for pictures. One of the first things under images was this, taken right around the time I was there. (No idea what the rocks are about...maybe he was manlier than me and drug it out of the bush and beat it to death)

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by wilderness medic; 11-06-2014 at 12:45 PM.

Holey moley, that is a huge cat!
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

Quote Originally Posted by MrFixIt View Post
    Holey moley, that is a huge cat!
    I'm sure it's big, but just like a fishing picture he's kneeling behind it for a reason

That's a funny looking Mt. Lion.

Quote Originally Posted by wilderness medic View Post
    Oh my is right.

I don't care if a bear was far more dangerous, since we're talking about fear, there is something absolutely satanic sounding about a mountain lions growls and screams. I don't care if it was a beetle making this noise, sounds a lot "scarier" than a bear growl to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVZCAQP6eQM

I googled the place I was at, looking for pictures. One of the first things under images was this, taken right around the time I was there. (No idea what the rocks are about...maybe he was manlier than me and drug it out of the bush and beat it to death)

This was a bazinga right?....LOL
    Must have been hunting at the zoo (African lion).......calling BS on the pic....gonna need more providence that an posted image.

But just in case....that settles it....bringing the Dillon Mini Gun on all future camp outs......

BTW this poor puma been killed in just about every state in the union.

Last edited by hunter63; 11-06-2014 at 10:59 PM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Went back and clicked on the pic to go to the site. It was about the state record, but no verification was ever found and everyone was suspicious. Probably fake. I have no idea I just figured he used the far back angle to make it look larger.

Most likely did anyway....I do, most hunters as it a way to make your deer (or whatever look bigger) look bigger.

The two rocks are most likely what he used to kill it.....(pssst... bullet hole)......

Good reason to carry though,...... just in case.....you never know...stranger thing have happened.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

That as huge as a Malayan Tiger...wow!
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Most likely did anyway....I do, most hunters as it a way to make your deer (or whatever look bigger) look bigger.

The two rocks are most likely what he used to kill it.....(pssst... bullet hole)......

Good reason to carry though,...... just in case.....you never know...stranger thing have happened.....
    Yeah I figured it was just large and he got a really good shot farther back than he appeared.

I see the bullet hole lol just don't know what the rocks are held up for, is he trying to make people think that's what he used? A joke?

Yeah it is. The part that I don't like about lions is the whole stalking thing. At least a bear attack is usually the result of startling it. Rather than it stalking you and pouncing on your back and chewing your neck off with no warning.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Found a bit about it.

East Oregonian shared Chris Frederick's photo.

January 21 ·

This photo has been making the rounds on Facebook, with a mixture of true and false information.

The Oregon Department of Fish & Wildlife did snare this mountain lion in the Umatilla National Forest, along the upper drainage of Cable Creek. It was reported Dec. 1 by a miner working his camp, and killed within a project target area to improve the unit's elk-calf ratio, according to district wildlife biologist Mark Kirsch. The cougar had actually killed a cow elk and brought the remains within a few feet of where the miner was digging, Kirsch said.

It is not, however, a "new state record." The animal weighed 144 pounds, Kirsch said, which is typical for male cougars. It may appear unusually large because the man pictured is crouched a ways back behind the animal — a trick of photography used by hunters.
    "It's a very typical male mountain lion. There's nothing special about the size," Kirsch said. "It's turned into a good fish tale."
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Photoshop. Look at the pine needles in front of the lion and the pine needles behind the man.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

I love the look of a Mt Lion... There was one at a local zoo in Penang previously...it was a private zoo and now closed...do not what happened to the cat..but it was quite docile and I used to frequent visiting it. It had huge paws and if I am near its environment, would love to keep one...I remember it wasn't that big, but healthy.
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!