Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Survival bait

Default Survival bait

Let me begin my saying I'm new to the forum and if this topic has been covered to death, I apologize. Other than digging for earthworms, catching grasshoppers, and getting gallfly larvae from goldenrod, what are some sources of bait for survival fishing (provided you already have a rod/reel) for trout, bass, perch, walleye, etc. ? Thanks for the help.

Fly fisherman will try to tell what bugs have just hatched, so to match a artificial fly, nymph, helgramite or other artificial bait.

Ad in minnows, (Uncle use to carry a 1 ft square fine weave dip net and corn meal in the pocket of his fishing coat for dipping minnows).... frogs, or even other fishes eyes.....

Never tried it but I believe the cameo face nets or mosquito netting would work......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I try and use whatever is in the immediate area because usally that will be what they are used to. If it flys,crawls,swimsor hops its on the hook till I find what works.
    Semper Paratus

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum as well. I agree with both posts here that whatever is natural and abundant near or in the water source you are fishing will be the best bait. Although if it is winter and you are having a hard time finding live bait then anything shiny that you could secure to a hook might land you some dinner. The mimicked movement of a distressed bait fish and the "flash" the shiny object creates could very well trigger a bite. I have done this in mountain streams in north Carolina on backpacking trips and although the catch numbers don't stack up like having real bait, you wont go hungry.

Smaller fish and minnows will hit just about anything that lands in the water. Often a bare hook is all that's needed. You can use them for bait.

Or, you can make lures out of paracord.

So what is the difference between natural bait and surival bate? I bet the survival bait costs a bunch more:Scared: When my dad would run out of bait, he would either dig worms or shoot a bird with his .22. One sparrow or almost any kind bird can supply you with bait for several hours.

I'm holding out for tactical bait.

....we used to tell pilgrims, that we use new born kittens for musky bait.....and watch them recoil in horror....well moist of them did.
    Last edited by hunter63; 09-25-2014 at 02:39 PM. Reason: splin'
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Thats funny Rick, it probably comes in the handle of one of those holow handle Rambo knives which would make it truly tactical. And nobody would even know you have it!!!

In malaysia it will those small mini frogs, worms, tree bugs, insects or fruits that fish eats...yep..some fish decided to become vegetarian and eat fruits.
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Kick apart old rotten log and such and use the grubs for bait.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Here ya go. http://www.sbsbaits.com/
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Tokwan View Post
    In malaysia it will those small mini frogs, worms, tree bugs, insects or fruits that fish eats...yep..some fish decided to become vegetarian and eat fruits.
    When the ficus outback is dropping fruit. I can watch dozens of Triploid Grass Carp roll. I take a #2 hook and hook 3 fig berries. Guaranteed about a 10 pound carp.

We used a rake to run through the bank side grass in the water. Then followed with a dip net. You could catch fresh water shrimp and crawfish as well as minnows using that technique. In a pinch a branch and a scoop of any type could be used.

A scoop of dirt under any big tree that had leaf litter always produced grubs and worms. We had a tree in Fort Meade that was a one shovel tree. One scoop of a shovel under that tree and we was good fishing cane poles all day.

Weher I live, there is this what we call River Lobsters...big prawns with long tentacles like claws..very tasty..very thorny (or should I say horny?).
    I would get a piece of Bemban (local soft wood) and soak these Bembans for a week..so that they rot and smell like hell. I would get a ladies stocking and put these bembans in..the prawns come near and their thorny tentacles like claws would get stuck to the stockings. Nice tasty prwns...google "udang galah" and you will see these prawns...
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Man! Those things are huge.

Quote Originally Posted by Crash
    I skipped the middle man and just ordered the fish.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I have found that if one sits in the boat until dusk and nothing has happened it is time to throw a stick of dynamite into the water!

Or you have this option;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BARABe6bccw

sometimes you can just run the boat down the river, forget about bait and just try not to get hurt when the fish come to visit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK836PUx1-0
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 09-26-2014 at 10:54 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I would never admit to it but if you figure when I started with the phone company you might be able to figure out there were still magneto telephones around. A ground rod on one end of the boat and a ground rod at the other end + a good crank of the magneto will = fish. Not that I would know about that.

This is the way the boys did it while still stateside. They used grenades for bait.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

nah rick I wouldnt know about that either game warden just wanted to know why my dads minnow bucket had a crank handle hanging out the side. He wasn't to concerned about the wires and chain. LOL.
    Awanita from the wild patato clan of the Tsalagi/Cherokee. "When the time comes, know how to only be seen when wanted to be seen".

Well in MS, catfish are easy to find but without heavy line you may loose all your fishing gear. That being said some 550 cord striped down to single lines tied to overhanging branches called "drop lines" baited with almost anything with strong smell will catch them. Bream, crappie and bass are also plentiful. Any bug will catch them. Or finding an old soda can, poke a few small hole in it, bait with some candy, crackers or small bits of guts, sunken in a hollow water will catch minnows. The guts ad met from other animals works well on bream. Lizards and frogs ( not toads ) work well catching crappie and bass. Grubbs and trumites in logs. Flying insects. And as was already mentioned you can recreate some love bait in the wild.

Man! Those would make some great gumbo!