Thread: help and questions about making a knife with an old machete

Default help and questions about making a knife with an old machete

I found an old machete blade on the field, very used and without the grip. Is a Incolma machete, made on Colombia and more or less a classic of the rural workers on Argentina. Is good steel, a bit soft but very easy to sharpen and is great to make kitchen knifes.
    I want to cut the blade and make one or maybe two knifes with the metal, but i don't know where to start or what to do, so i have a lot of cuestions:

Cutting with a power tool can remove the temper of the steel?
    It can be done with a hand saw?
    How can i put the handle? I thought to make it with wood and brass pins, similar to the original handles on these machetes, but i don't know very clearly how to do it.

Thanks a lot! Sorry for the broken english! Writing this took me 20 minutes easy!

Not much of a knife maker, but yes, you can cut using a handsaw if its not to thick. Or you can cut using a power saw but then heat treat the blade again. Make a full tang and use 2 pcs of wood. Pins would be great to hold the handle together.
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Machetes are tempered (on purpose) fairly soft. With that in mind......

Cutting with power tools runs the risk of changing the temper. I currently use a portaband saw that runs slow and does not heat the metal to the point of changing the temper. Short of using one like that, a drill and hacksaw may be your best bet.

For attaching the handle material...

After you have the holes drilled in the metal, I like to clamp on side (using a pair of vice grips) and drill the hole in the wood - then repeat for the other side. Following that I pin the handles together (without the knife) using temporary pins. I like bamboo skewers for this, but anything that serves as a pin works. With the two pieces pinned together shape the front end (end toward blade) so that when you attach them they will be even.

To attach them I use a variety of adhesives, but currently am using a 2 part epoxy. Glue the slabs, glue the pins (rough up the pins a little so the glue has something to "grip"). After the glue has dried, shape the handles. Files and sand paper if doing by hand. If you use a small belt sander make sure you use new or "sharp" belts to avoid burning the wood.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Thanks a lot! I will try that