Thread: mystery squash

Default mystery squash

at least to me. Anyone know what squash this is?

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Blog Entries

Looks remarkably like a spaghetti squash to me Randy.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

that could be, the spaghetti squash I usually have is yellow white in colour. I'll cut it open and know for sure.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

I cut it open and it has a yellow meaty core with seed pith. I'm puzzled.

Is it a volunteer out of the compost pile? Could be a delicata/pumpkin cross or something out of a hybrid whose seeds you dumped last year.
    Guess you'll know when you cut it open.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

It's from some seedlings one of my kids picked up somewhere.

You might need to backtrack starting with your kid. Find out where they got it and go backwards. It doesn't look like a Lita or a Delicata but it's close. I don't think I've ever seen one like that.

I think it looks like a hybrid to me, but there are so many winter squashes in the world I don't think anybody could say unless they happen to recognize it.

The first important question is does it taste good. Following that would be did it have developed seeds and finally are they viable. I've had some really tasty hybrid squash come out of my gardens, as well as one really unimpressive one.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Looks like pumpkin....
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Could be. None of mine ever looked quite like that, but it would take a lifetime to see every cultivar after all.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Resembles a Grey Squash...does it have a nutty flavor?
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

thanks for the replies. We cooked it up and it seemed like a cross between a spaghetti squash and a winter squash.

Uh oh. Aren't those deadly...I mean...never mind.

Blog Entries

As long as it tasted good.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

It looks to me like a hybrid as well. It remarkably resembles a spaghetti squash though. As long as it tastes good and safe to eat, I don't really mind knowing its name.

I can't see the photo but sounds like butternut to me.
    Awanita from the wild patato clan of the Tsalagi/Cherokee. "When the time comes, know how to only be seen when wanted to be seen".