Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kel-Tec PMR-30

Default Kel-Tec PMR-30

I am a big fan of .22 WMR for a lot of reasons so I was pretty excited when Kel-Tec announced they were going to make the PMR-30. Of course, months and months of waiting for the darn thing to come out and then the limited quantity drove the price up. But I still want one just to have as a pack gun. I know a lot of folks diss Kel-Tec but I have a PF9 that is my everyday carry and I've never had a problem with it. I also have the Sub 2000, which is a hoot to shoot. The PMR-30 is on my "gots ta have" list. Here's a decent write up on it that I thought some might like.............http://www.alloutdoor.com/2013/09/18...kly+Newsletter

when you get it, keep it out of that friggin canoe!

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I would buy one also except they are the sasquatch of the gun world.

That and .22WMR ammo is just as scarce as .22LR at this point in time.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Hi Rick, you might like to see youtube vids on the PMR-30 by a guy called Nutinfancy. He really puts it to the test, and has a factory rep on hand to talk with.
    -Sam

I have shot one and boy is it fun. Felt and sounded like shooting a bigger caliber. I did experience the failure to feed many talk about when loading all 30 rounds into the magazine.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Grendel p30 take two?
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

I won a PMR 30 a couple of years ago. They are a blast to shoot. I traded it off because I could never get more than about 25 rounds into the magazine, and it is too bulky to conceal. I have a lot better cc firearms. I personally feel it is inadequate as a self defense round.

I got one I love it!

LONG TIME 22WMR aficionado as well.

CW
    Support our troops! We all owe a debt we cannot begin to repay, start with support of the PEOPLE in the uniforms.

Oh great! Another gun that looks like it would be a lot of fun to shoot.

So many guns.........so little time (or more accurately - money).
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I'll skip meals for guns if need be.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Even bacon? A fella has to draw a line someplace.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I would have to think about that one.

I'm adding this one to my list......but is is a long list. Next up (or soon up) is a lever rifle in 357 mag.........but I did just enter a raffle today for a Henry Big Boy in 44 mag.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

If you can get one do so. They are a great fun gun and attract allot of attention at the range so bring extra ammo... Mine has not been to the range one time where it was not the center of the attention and gets shot by a few people.
    When shooting std Maggie ammo it shoots quite a fire ball, has a REAL nice trigger and almost no recoil. Combined makes it a FUN SHOOTER!!

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

CW
    Support our troops! We all owe a debt we cannot begin to repay, start with support of the PEOPLE in the uniforms.

I think it would make a great pack gun. You can take small game with it and still keep dogs at bay. Not a man stopper but I have other tools for that. Bacon and guns in one thread. It doesn't get much better than that. Yum.

Three questions (because I really dont know, and you guys seam to know better than I):

One: What is the availability of WMR? Since it seams that LR is all but extinct... is WMR easier to find?

Two: Is WMR a lot more expensive then LR, or just a little more expensive?

Three: How does WMR compare to LR in the scope of ballistics?

Thank you for whatever information you can give...
    EB

#1. WMR is just as scarce as .22lr. None of the major suppliers have a consistent stock.

#2. WMR has always run about 3x as much as .22lr.

#3. 40gn bullet at 1800fps +- from a rifle. Will give a 300-400 fps jump from a pistol. Better bullet construction gives magnum an edge. Puts energy just below a .38 spl, above 380acp.

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/22mag.html

Its big drawback has always been the high pressure and its physical size requires a locked breech pistol on a larger frame in semi-auto form. The Keltec is as big, or bigger, than a 1911 Colt.

That is one reason it has had best success in revolvers.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 10-19-2014 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ElevenBravo View Post
    Three questions (because I really dont know, and you guys seam to know better than I):

One: What is the availability of WMR? Since it seams that LR is all but extinct... is WMR easier to find?

Two: Is WMR a lot more expensive then LR, or just a little more expensive?

Three: How does WMR compare to LR in the scope of ballistics?

Thank you for whatever information you can give...
    EB
    Here is my thoughts.

1) Going back approx. 30 months, The 22Mag has NOT been as scarce here. I have purchased exactly three boxes of 22LR. one 500rnd brick of CCI STD, one box of Win 333 and one box of CCI Tray Landry. That's 1155 rounds. I look everywhere and do so frequently. In the same time frame, I have lost count of the WMR, but its probably about twice the 1155 number. Last month I was able to but 1000 and last week 700 rounds. Most shops limit us to two boxes USUALLY they are 50rnd 22Mag boxes.

2) Well that depends... The prices we all paid three years ago are GONE. BUT should settle at about 15-20% higher then they where then. I have still been able to buy WMR at under 12$ a box. ($40 for 200 = $10ea) Back three years ago that same CCI Maxi mag was 12$ a box. Speaking of LR... I was buying Rem Goldens for 12-14$ a brick, now they are found for about $20-25 for 525rnd boxes... You can do that math.

3) In a rifle, some of the 22 magnum carry TWICE the energy of the LR at the muzzle. : Its over 300FPE, that's solid into 9MM territory. Surpassing the 32, 380 and 38 Spl loads by a healthy margin. Our of a Pistol, the LR is a bit more efficient, but as mentioned above, the Magnum uses a much superior jacketed bullet.

CW

You are not reading the same ballistics charts I am viewing!

I do not see .22mag performance surpassing either 9mm or 38 special power in any form, even in rifle loads.

Power is still computed by multiplying mass X velocity.

I posted the chart, it is there for anyone to do the computation in any caliber desired and eliminate the speculation.