Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BPA - The Debate Continues

Default BPA - The Debate Continues

There is a very good article in this month's issue (May 08) of Consumer Reports about the health effects of BPA used in plastics and plastic linings of food cans. According to the article, there is supposed to be a new report out this summer from the U.S. National Toxicology Program as well as a congressional committee inquiry into risks of BPA in canned infant formula and how much influence the plastics industry has had over previous research and conclusions.

Consumer Reports contacted the FDA and asked them what studies they used to consider the use of BPA safe. The FDA's response cited two studies conducted by the chemical industry.

For water bottles, you can look for polyethylene, stainless steel or aluminum with BPA free liners.

If you don't receive Consumer Reports, you should be able to acquire a copy at your local library. The article is on page 10.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

There is an interesting article about BPA on wikipedia.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bisphenol_A

At the top of the page there is also a "talk page" link that disputes some of the info in the article itself.
    "There is a saving streak of the primitive in all of us" - Euell Gibbons

Plastic containers being pulled from shelves. Here's a recent link.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24200402/
    "The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

Good article, Tahyo. Now I'll have to find some indestructible cardboard to carry my water in.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

A couple months back by accident I got my hands on a stainless steel water bottle that is the shape and size of a Nalgene bottle. A bit heavier but I never noticed it over all. My stainless steel cup fits on the bottle like a Nalgene.
    "The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

for a long time this debate has also been going on Aluminium and Alzheimer’s here is a link to a great fact sheet about it.

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/sc...?documentID=99
    Free your mind go insane.

The Aluminum/Alzheimer thing has been going on for a while too and as of the past few years it has been widely thought there is no connection. I brew my own beer and there has always been debates as to using an Aluminum brew kettle vs. an expensive stainless steel brew kettle. I've used both.

I think in the long run, damn near anything out there is going to have some potential health hazard to it. Even the water we drink is coming into question now if you get your water from sources like me (Lake Michigan) where there are dissolved pharmaceuticals and other things in it. Hell, even the store bought foods have things in them that most of us don't know about.

In this day and age there is pretty much no escape from everything that comes into question.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tahyo View Post
    The Aluminum/Alzheimer thing has been going on for a while too and as of the past few years it has been widely thought there is no connection. I brew my own beer and there has always been debates as to using an Aluminum brew kettle vs. an expensive stainless steel brew kettle. I've used both.

I think in the long run, damn near anything out there is going to have some potential health hazard to it. Even the water we drink is coming into question now if you get your water from sources like me (Lake Michigan) where there are dissolved pharmaceuticals and other things in it. Hell, even the store bought foods have things in them that most of us don't know about.

In this day and age there is pretty much no escape from everything that comes into question.

You cook right from scratch Tahyo?

We've all seen some of the cook-off pictures between Bragg and Tahyo. I know that many (me included) have volunteered to go to Bragg's place to help with the 300 lbs of jerky or other goodies. Now we find out that Tahyo, in addition to cooking up some excellent BBQ -BREWS HIS OWN BEER! (calls travel agent and changes reservation from direct flight to one with a stop at Tahyo's)
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

yep... It's been a couple of years but I love making Russian stouts, oatmeal stouts and red ales. Mash tun and the whole bit.
    I'm sitting on some 5+ year old Russian stouts that will make your eyes water.

The last batch of oatmeal stout I made, I put some wheat in it. It was one of the most violent ferments I've ever had, but man it was good.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tahyo View Post
    yep... It's been a couple of years but I love making Russian stouts, oatmeal stouts and red ales. Mash tun and the whole bit.
    I'm sitting on some 5+ year old Russian stouts that will make your eyes water.

Ive always made from kits. Have had some really great lagers over the years but its not the same. I'm jealous.

In the third pic I see that the guard dog is on duty. Looks like he got into some of the spoils in the fourth.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I did kits in the beginning but wanted more control over the recipes. There was one really good kit that I did for a red ale. I really enjoyed drinking that one.

I saw on the news tonight that Canada is outlawing the use of BPA in baby bottles.

The stores have cleared their shelves of plastic baby bottles here in Nova Scotia and are accepting returns of the plastics for refund no questions asked.....there is a panic now on trying to find glass bottles which in my opinion has always been the best anyways(other than breastfeeding)...especially for sterilizing purposes.
    ~Earth receives foot and paw, hoof and claw with equal grace. But it is the way of the wild not to overstep...let's leave no trace that wind, rain and snow cannot erase~

Dang, I just realized you are from Nova Scotia. What a great place. Spent a whole afternoon in Digby just watching the tide. It was awesome. 22 feet if I remember right. We took the Cat over to Yarmouth and when we arrived there were a bunch of little kids standing outside customs bumming dollars. At the time the exchange rate was about 1.5 to 1. Folks would give them a buck and they would head straight for the money window to convert it to Canadian. Funny as heck. Enterprising little guys.

Here is Digby at high tide or there abouts and low tide. And the Pines Hotel we stayed in at in Digby. NS has some of the friendliest people I've ever run into.

What end of the province are you from?
    Attached Images Attached Images

OMG!!!!!!!!!
    I am from Digby! We live about 30 minutes backwoods of the Town of Digby...we mackeral fish off the wharf you have pictured there! I even recognize some of our local guys lobster rigs LMAO!!!!

We have the highest tides in the world and the the world famous Digyb Scallop boat fleet...it is highly likely we passed on the street and didnt even know it
    What a small small world!
    ~Earth receives foot and paw, hoof and claw with equal grace. But it is the way of the wild not to overstep...let's leave no trace that wind, rain and snow cannot erase~