Thread: Video on a Parang

Default Video on a Parang

Was surfing the net and I came across this video. Looks like he seems to know more about the parang than me....I hope you guys can enjoy the video. No..its not a machete and parang works differently than machetes..its for the more woody areas...and the wood is harder.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xc5...-parang_travel

Enjoy!
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Another video.

This is a different Parang, and its in Sarawak, East Malaysia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE0qVTdXY4Y
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

I have a Golok from Condor, its a BEAST! It replaces a hatchet AND a machete!!

Checking out your links now...

Heres me doing a bit of modification on mine...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQGeU1zAs-Y

EB

I had the condor golok and didn't care too much for it. Ended up trading it for a blanket roll.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Lol..hahahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by ElevenBravo View Post
    I have a Golok from Condor, its a BEAST! It replaces a hatchet AND a machete!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQGeU1zAs-Y

EB
    Just watched your video and yours was slightly different from mine. I must've got a first generation. Mine didn't have the full tang but a half tang.
    I also managed to put an ever so slight bend in it and hated how thick the bevel was.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Hi guys, unfortunately, we do not have any Condor Goloks in Malaysia, as they are simply not made here. The word Golok is from the Malay Archipelago and it means knife/parang. Condor is made by someone foreign to us, but the designs are derived from the Malay Archipelag0
    Even Ray Myers designed his Condor from us.
    I used the traditional Malay Parang, be it the Golok Perak, Duku Chandung or the Parang Lading which are almost simlar, but with some slight design changes. The longer Parang Lading is known as the Parang Panjang.
    I like the weight as it uses less energy to cut a small tree. In Malaysia, the trees are more woody and hard. You can tell from the video. This has been confirmed by most survival experts.
    The Brazilian Machete might be good to carve the trail by cutting the small twigs and undergrowth, rattan and small bamboo, but the parang is the master clearer. Have you seen a bamboo with 3/4" think wall? Lots of them here in Malaysia.
    Last edited by Tokwan; 10-16-2014 at 08:38 PM.

Condor is the manufacturer:
    http://www.condortk.com/

They make a good quality and inexpensive product, what Ive bought so far has been very good stuff for the money.

EB

Saw the condor site and also the amazon site...one things to say, we do not make our parangs out of carbon steel..its usually is stainless steel (from car springs, railroad spikes etc) as we want them heavy at the tip. This allows the handler to use less energy and it makes cutting easier..the Condors look nice, bujt I think they look light, light the Brazilian machetes, which will only cut well if they are really sharp.
    The Malaysian parangs are tip heavy, and will cut even though when they are not that sharp. However all my parangs are paper sharp of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokwan View Post
    Saw the condor site and also the amazon site...one things to say, we do not make our parangs out of carbon steel..its usually is stainless steel (from car springs, railroad spikes etc) as we want them heavy at the tip. This allows the handler to use less energy and it makes cutting easier..the Condors look nice, bujt I think they look light, light the Brazilian machetes, which will only cut well if they are really sharp.
    The Malaysian parangs are tip heavy, and will cut even though when they are not that sharp. However all my parangs are paper sharp of course.
    Car spring and railroad spikes are stainless?

Isn't that backwards?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Yes, I believe it is.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Oops...was so used to typing stainless steel which I meant steel...hehehehehehehe..sorry for the extra typing...gotta edit someday.