Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Earthquake in Indiana

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    It is really interesting to me the way we condition ourselves for certain situations. Those on the forum that are living in wilderness areas (Hopeak, Wildwoman, Bragg come to mind - sorry for any omissions) probably sleep soundly through the night with the sounds of bears, coyotes, etc. Those of us in more urban settings are more likely to adapt to the sounds of that type of area. I can sleep through alot. A few months ago one of our smoke detectors went off (to this day don't know why). My wife said I was standing in the hallway with a fire extinguisher in hand and the lights on almost before she got her eyes open. I guess twenty years of being around submarines and being atuned to alarms will always be with me. For the record - don't think I would have slept through an earthquake - even a minor one.
    Up here we 'occationally' have an earthquake.. very occationally, although they say we are due for a big one in the PNW section I live in. We had an earth quake a couple of years ago with an epicenter only a few miles from the house here. Things shook a little but not a lot... 2 point something on the Richter... not very deep. I can walk to the epicenter.. At the time we had a water bed... and I was laying on it. Didn't get sea sick but about 15 seconds into it the blinds started moving sideways slightly and the waves started in the water bed... kind of nice being rocked in the cradle that way. I was awake at the time... and instantly knew what it was but didn't feel paniced and didn't get out of bed for it. A bigger shake?? Maybe I would have gotten out and layed down on the floor next to it... They say not to stand under doorways now but get heads down below and next to something that will take the brunt of something falling.. like furniture or a couch and get into the air pocket beside it.

Folks should take some time to learn about the New Madrid fault. It really is a fascinating piece of geology. They have found evidence of sand geysers during the 18XX earthquake. Not just little guys but deposits of sand over hundreds of acres that came spurring out of the ground like volcanoes. Some laying down dozens and dozens of feet of new sand. The Mississippi River flowed backwards for part of a day. Those of you in Arkansas, Missouri, Tennessee and Illinois are the closest but the rest of us have to worry about it too.

http://rockhoundingar.com/geology/fault.html
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Folks should take some time to learn about the New Madrid fault. It really is a fascinating piece of geology. They have found evidence of sand geysers during the 18XX earthquake. Not just little guys but deposits of sand over hundreds of acres that came spurring out of the ground like volcanoes. Some laying down dozens and dozens of feet of new sand. The Mississippi River flowed backwards for part of a day. Those of you in Arkansas, Missouri, Tennessee and Illinois are the closest but the rest of us have to worry about it too.

http://rockhoundingar.com/geology/fault.html
    Rick, I read your link... That article said that those sand volcanoes are still visible. Where on Google Earth would I be able to see those? You're in that area and I thought you would know more about where to look than I.

Since I live in a seismically active zone.. Portland/Vancouver area, I am always interested in earthquakes... although we haven't had a big one, of the magnitude mentioned in that article in a lot of years. I monitor a few earthquake related websites because of that. Thanks for the link I bookmarked that.

Btw... I am also interested in other types and all types of natural disaster preparedness and survival.

Ridge - You asked a very good question. That's something I had never tried. Here's a site complete with Google Earth images. This is down in the boothill of Missouri. You can find it by the intersection of US 412 and I 55 on Google Earth. To my untrained eye, I don't see it but it's obviously there. Too much farmland for my eye. This site calls it the largest sand blow in the world.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...3DYYf%26sa%3DN
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Ridge - You asked a very good question. That's something I had never tried. Here's a site complete with Google Earth images. This is down in the boothill of Missouri. You can find it by the intersection of US 412 and I 55 on Google Earth. To my untrained eye, I don't see it but it's obviously there. Too much farmland for my eye. This site calls it the largest sand blow in the world.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...3DYYf%26sa%3DN
    Rick, Thanks for the link... there are a lot of sand blows in those pictures.. they are the beige spots in the landscape... like ocean beach sand. More pronounced on the farm land rather than the landscaped areas..

I learned about the New Madrid fault when I almost fell off my bed last Friday.

Welcome to the forum, diggler. How about shaking over to the Introduction thread and tell a little about yourself.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...splay.php?f=14