Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to boil water without a pot?

Everything I have ever said on this web site I have done and used
    Survival Scout

Same for me everything I have posted on this site I have done, if I havent I will say so, as far as woods to use for the water holding container I usually prefer Douglas Fir, Western Red Cedar, again Id definately dont suggest pine for it. Like I said basically take some hot coals and start burning out some of the insides, once the coals burn take a rock and scrape out all the charred material then keep on burning until the you get the desired depth. Once done clean it out and fill it with water, and simply take really hot golf ball sized rocks and drop them in the water, yes sometimes the rocks do explode, and No never use granite for this purpose, it always explodes but typically you dont have to worry much about shrapnel from it.

Smile Aluminum foil!!

Whenever I go camping, I usually try to bring a square (at least) of aluminum foil. It has multiple uses, a water pot included. (Also a signal mirror, blanket, cooking food, reflecting a fire...)

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Strider View Post
    Whenever I go camping, I usually try to bring a square (at least) of aluminum foil. It has multiple uses, a water pot included. (Also a signal mirror, blanket, cooking food, reflecting a fire...)
    Very true Strider...aluminum foil can do just about everything. Really, you can boil water in just about anything that will hold water. Leaves, plastic, and many things that would otherwise burn or melt will not due to the water it contains...although any of the object will burn,melt, etc. if it is not making contact with the liquid.

Default I've never...

Made pottery the way I described, but some of my ancestors did for about 12000 years in Manitoba and Ontario, that's why I ask questions like how much time does he person have in the situation.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

San Francisco, CA (Or San Freak-Skid Row, if you prefer)

I've done the rock boiling in my hat. It's the most reliable.

You do have to be careful when you heat the rocks, but I usually just stay away from the fire when they're heating up (I've known them to explode, but it's never happened to me). It doesn't take a lot of rocks to boil a quart or two of water, but you obviously don't want to boil more than you can realistically use or carry.
    Let freedom ring
    Let the white dove sing
    Let the whole world know that today is the day of reckoning
    Let the weak be strong
    Let the right be wrong
    Roll the stone away
    It's Independence Day

-Martina McBride

cool just trying to keep it real in here.

Make a bark bowl (birch around here) and place hot pebble in it ti it boils. Be carefull they are not river or lake rocks can and do explode.
    To thyne self be true