Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: What would you really do and how would you feel if you are lost?

What would really get me spooked about being lost (if I'm not with others) are axe-wielding psychopaths, miscreants and other kinds of bad guys. But then I tell myself that I'm better off being far away from "civilization" because they wouldn't be bothered going out into the bush to find a victim. It's more likely that I'd be unfortunate enough to cross paths with a gang of hooligans if I camped closer to "civilization".

I'm lucky enough to never have been lost, but I always went into the bush with a mental picture of the area - you know, where we were in relation to roads and creeks that led back to somewhere. That way if I did get lost, I'd try to find water first then head off in the general direction that would take me to the road.

Having said all that, and being human, and seeing that freaky picture above, and hearing all sorts of supernatural stories, and having a vivid imagination, and experiencing a weird event... if I was lost in the woods at night, I'd be all eyes - all ears - all other senses on high alert. I'd have my samurai sword out (if I had one) and probably not sleep a wink. I'd probably whirl around at every noise, expecting a berserk monster coming straight at me. It was a bit like that when I first heard a possum or wombat in the wild. Unearthly!

I'd set a trap for this sucker, except it looks kinda skin and bones. Not much meat. It's hide might have interesting uses though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokwan View Post
    Now, let's be honest with ourselves, no need for too much of trying macho, just let's be plain honest.

How would you feel, what would you feel and what would the first thing that you do if you really get lost , alone in the forest?
    Are you really equipped and trained? Did you really practice what you have learnt? Is your survival kit really gonna be of help?

I did face this situation about 3 years ago. I found that the training does help and sometimes, the survival kit you have is considered too much and when you are really tired, the kit seems to be too heavy that you just wanna throw out everything.

Actually, you will soon find that you do not need too many things.

Extra food is always welcomed but the kits can be lighter.

So let's discuss.
    I'm one of those crazies who WISHES that I would get lost. I don't really try, which is paradoxical, for a variety of reasons including that a part of me feels that people need to stay out of our forest and wildlife reserves (of the few types of places where I'd want to be lost on purpose).

But because of this, if lost, I wouldn't panic or be scared, almost not at all. This isn't because I'm stupid or gung ho or not capable of fear, but it's just that I would embrace it (being positive and tackling the problem) and would actually enjoy it. My biggest fear, seriously, is being lost with other people who had the wrong dispositions. The wrong social dynamics will kill a group as fast as the environment.

As far as any kit or pack goes...I have to surmise the great possibility that if I were really lost, I wouldn't have a pack or kit with me. To truly be lost, it would have to be quite unplanned and unexpected. If I happen to have a pack or kit with me, then I'm probably prepared to enough of an extent that something wouldn't be so unexpected and I wouldn't be really lost. Not guaranteed or always...but just a good probability statement.

I figure that if I can surmise a good chance of rescuing myself or getting rescued within a day or two, I don't consider that to be lost I guess. What would I do first? That's what I would do first - try to assess how lost I really am. And what I do happen to have with me. Otherwise, I couldn't really say what I'd do unless I know what I have with me...in an unexpected situation...and if I can obtain much of an idea of how far from rescue I am. I figure that what I'd do if I calculated a decent chance of rescue soon...and what I'd do if I didn't think so and would be lost for a good while...are substantially different strategies.

I've realized though that in such a situation wherein it took a good while to rescue myself and had to work to survive...when the opportunity for rescue arrived, I would seriously hesitate. I know that a part of me would just rather stay out there.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTree View Post
    I'd set a trap for this sucker, except it looks kinda skin and bones. Not much meat. It's hide might have interesting uses though.

I'm one of those crazies who WISHES that I would get lost. I don't really try, which is paradoxical, for a variety of reasons including that a part of me feels that people need to stay out of our forest and wildlife reserves (of the few types of places where I'd want to be lost on purpose).

But because of this, if lost, I wouldn't panic or be scared, almost not at all. This isn't because I'm stupid or gung ho or not capable of fear, but it's just that I would embrace it (being positive and tackling the problem) and would actually enjoy it. My biggest fear, seriously, is being lost with other people who had the wrong dispositions. The wrong social dynamics will kill a group as fast as the environment.

As far as any kit or pack goes...I have to surmise the great possibility that if I were really lost, I wouldn't have a pack or kit with me. To truly be lost, it would have to be quite unplanned and unexpected. If I happen to have a pack or kit with me, then I'm probably prepared to enough of an extent that something wouldn't be so unexpected and I wouldn't be really lost. Not guaranteed or always...but just a good probability statement.

I figure that if I can surmise a good chance of rescuing myself or getting rescued within a day or two, I don't consider that to be lost I guess. What would I do first? That's what I would do first - try to assess how lost I really am. And what I do happen to have with me. Otherwise, I couldn't really say what I'd do unless I know what I have with me...in an unexpected situation...and if I can obtain much of an idea of how far from rescue I am. I figure that what I'd do if I calculated a decent chance of rescue soon...and what I'd do if I didn't think so and would be lost for a good while...are substantially different strategies.

I've realized though that in such a situation wherein it took a good while to rescue myself and had to work to survive...when the opportunity for rescue arrived, I would seriously hesitate. I know that a part of me would just rather stay out there.
    So I gonna guess that you haven't ever been lost.....like really lost?

That actually is a good thing, as I haven't either....but have been turned around quite a while.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Heard somebody ask once "what's the difference between being lost and not knowing where you are?" Good question.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

"Never been lost. Been a might confused for a month or so, but never been lost."
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTree View Post

WalkingTree, good to see that you've thought about being in a situation with others. Their responses could really turn the situation up a notch or ten, depending on who reacts in what way. You'd either have to work harder to keep the group together or leave it if they're totally out of control. What would you do if the people in the group are good friends or relatives? I don't think I could abandon them, no matter how stupid they behave. I'd feel responsible for them and may have to enforce my actions one way or another.

I agree that if someone gets lost, it'd be unplanned/unexpected, so they're unlikely to have their kit with them. Of course something unexpected can happen when someone's in the wilderness, but as you said, they probably would have planned for similar eventualities and may be able to work around the unexpected with the plans they put in place for possible problems. Flexibility in thinking and an in-depth knowledge would help to do that. Going back to being unexpected and kit-less... doing what you said makes absolute sense:
    • stay calm
    • assess your situation
    • evaluate your (and the group's) resources and mental/physical/emotional condition
    • formulate your strategy

Your strategy should take into account everyone's spirit, abilities, knowledge, etc. Planning for as many eventualities as possible before the trip (with all the group) would be the best course of action. Doing that will also give you an indication of who has the best/worst outlook.

As was taught in the Boy Scouts, and is still promoted in Boy's Life Magazine (I used to really look forward to that magazine)....

http://boyslife.org/outdoors/1200/tr...-in-the-woods/
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel