Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you really do and how would you feel if you are lost?

Default What would you really do and how would you feel if you are lost?

Now, let's be honest with ourselves, no need for too much of trying macho, just let's be plain honest.

How would you feel, what would you feel and what would the first thing that you do if you really get lost , alone in the forest?
    Are you really equipped and trained? Did you really practice what you have learnt? Is your survival kit really gonna be of help?

I did face this situation about 3 years ago. I found that the training does help and sometimes, the survival kit you have is considered too much and when you are really tired, the kit seems to be too heavy that you just wanna throw out everything.

Actually, you will soon find that you do not need too many things.

Extra food is always welcomed but the kits can be lighter.

So let's discuss.
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

First thing In would do is get pizzed off....how could I do something so stupid......Uff-da (run in circles scream and shout)

Then sit down and assess the situation....drink a coffee or make me some, if I have it.....or even just water.

Where am I, how did I get here, what am I gonna do now.....remember maps and directions.

Decide if I gonna sit it out?...or try to self rescue.

How am I dressed?....am I in need of medical attention?

Besides knife, fire, water....I like a compass and flashlight.
    Poncho would be nice.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

never been lost but camp got misplaced for a couple days once.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Okay, what would be the thoughts taht will be racing in your mind...like, " gosh....how far am I from civilization, would a bear get me, what's behind those trees...would you be scared if you have to spend the night in the forest and after hearing all the local stories about the area you are in..

If its Rick, would a sasquatch or Bigfoot get me?

If its me... I would panic...but I just couldn't show it..first thing that would happen to me would be dumbstruck...and I would have to get myself out of it...then, I would do like Hunter did, sit down, assess, calm myself..I would roll a cigarette and smoke it. I wuld then go through my survival kit, to remind what I have in hand. Then get out of the situation. This is what I would do.
    My priorities is to determine whether I can get out the same day. One way is to think how long it takes for you to get to where you are now. If its more than 3/4 of a day, I would just dig in. First thing is to determine where I am and is it dangerous for me. If it is, look for a better place. If its not, stay and make a shelter. Then fire. If I have enough water...stay put. If not find water when you have the opportunity.
    Building fire is a must and i like mine smokey.....
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Randyt....what I meant in this topic is " what if"?

Yeah, well I wasn't counting the time my truck got moved on me.....LOL....used to carry a "gun sock" made from an old long john leg....to wrap up my rifle on the ride back to my truck.......LOL.

Deer can go for a long ways when wounded......and have to say the lost-est I have been, I was driving my truck in a state forest in 12" of snow....and snowing hard...almost empty gas tank.

I knew that but I was being silly. If I was lost I would sit down and think. Think about the weather, shelter, water etc.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

We have many stories about certain entities in the Jungle...you can google up " Hantu Raya, Penunggu, Jin Hutan, Langsuirs, Puntianak and Bunians"....of course these are myths and beliefs, but many in Malaysia are superstitious. The Malays, Indians and Chinese have their own ethnic ghosts...hahahahahahaha...and whenever I did solo camping, peopla would ask me have I met any ting of such....these questions also came up during my survival classes....some people would hysterically.....so...some of us might have this in mind...that is why I am asking all of us here to be honest..throw aay the feeling of being macho...just speak out...hehe

So are you asking what we are afraid of?.....
    Got a friend that is deathly afraid of coyotes......have seen plenty, heard even more, and never got any of them close unless I shot them.

Yep..other than what we have trained for, would there be anything else that would make us sleepless....?

You could always just cut down some power lines if you're lost.....

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...ntion-1.890115
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

A quest for knowledge is never complete.

The only easy day was yesterday.

Provided the power lines don't cut you....

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Well here you go, this just happened. Guy was an idiot. Ill prepared for the trip. Yea, he's lucky to be alive.

http://www.adn.com/article/20141013/...ach-state-park

PS, there was a misprint in this story. It said he stopped at a bar where a private party was going on but it was a GARAGE where a private party was going on.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

What would your main concerns be, what would you be afraid of, what would be at the back of your mind? I am sure no one is comfortable when one is lost.

Tokwan - there is a huge difference between us being lost and you being lost. I don't care where I am in the Continental US with the exception of a few areas you can walk in any direction and hit a road in a few miles. The Everglades, desert regions or the Pacific Northwest would certainly be exceptions to that. Your jungle is a whole other animal. Not being able to see very far in any direction and not being able to judge sunlight because of overhead canopy are real hindrances and almost conspire to get you lost.

That aside, I really don't mind being lost. It's just not a big deal to me. I've never been lost with an injury so it's usually on my terms. I don't mind bush whacking at all. Just head out through the forest. Some of my most pleasant surprises have been because I've been off trail. I often get turned around because I do that. I just check my compass, check the sun/time, try to figure out where I am on my map and where the closest trail or road is and head that way. It's always worked out. I've sometimes taken the very long way back to my vehicle but I'm there to spend the time in the woods so that's no big deal either.

I spent close to 15 years in the Big Horn mountains area around Sheridan and Gillette Wyoming. Hunting fishing and Camping, I was also a member of search and rescue. It never falled at least once a hunting season we would have to go up and find an out of stater that didn't prepare or take maps to get them back out of camp. One thing that I was always taught about the Big Horn always follow you streams they head down the mountain to the foothills where the ranches are visiable. Never been lost up there but always made sure of maps, compass to be in my kit. Also, we had three children that got lost up there one year. We searched every square inch, then out of no where here come one of the ranchers with a truck and packed in the truck were the three kids, they had walked down the mountain and into the ranchers back door. I think they may have been more calm than some of the adults looking for them. Just use you head and have the attitude, I got myself into this, I can get my self out. Peace.
    Awanita from the wild patato clan of the Tsalagi/Cherokee. "When the time comes, know how to only be seen when wanted to be seen".

Quote Originally Posted by Tokwan View Post
    Yep..other than what we have trained for, would there be anything else that would make us sleepless....?
    Lots of stuff keeps you sleepless.....bugs, cold, heat, rain, snow, bugs....hard ground, fear and all other thing that go bump in the night.
    Usually by the second night you are so tired you don't care and sleep...
    That's the way it is....when you body is tired enough it will sleep.

Here is an interesting Article on

How does your brain impact your survival chances in the wilderness?

http://science.howstuffworks.com/lif...psychology.htm
    Last edited by gryffynklm; 10-14-2014 at 05:10 PM.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Quote Originally Posted by gryffynklm View Post
    Here is an interesting Article on

Says "Page can't be displayed"

When I was 11, I was backpacking in Yosemite with my scout troop. The troop had kids ranging from 11 (me ) to 17. Myself and another 11 year old were hiking together but we were separated from the group. We were basically in the middle. The fast kids had an adult with them, and another adult was with the slow kids. The two of us were neither. We were told to turn right after the bridge. We turned right at the first trail junction. Eventually we realized we must have turned wrong. So, we sat down and waited. About 30 minutes later, up comes the scoutmaster. He wasn't happy, but was relieved to see us.

When I take scouts now, I tell them that they have to stop at every junction, and on top of hills. I would rather we all get lost together.

Other than that one time, I have never really been lost. A few times I had a hard time getting to where I was planning to go. Couldn't find the place. But, I knew how to get back to the car. A couple times I just sat down and stared at the map and my surroundings until I figured it out.

Where I live is very open. If you pay attention to where you are, it is pretty hard to get lost. The only way I could get lost is if someone blindfolded me, and then dropped me off somewhere I had never been.
    I think the first thing I would do is sit down and think for a bit, then probably climb to a high point and try and see as far as possible. Then I would plan how to walk out.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee