Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you really do and how would you feel if you are lost?

Not too many years ago I flipped my ultralight aircraft end over end and ended up hanging upside down from my safety harness with my head in the snow. This was on a solo cross-country flight in the local mountains here in South Central Alaska. I wasn't lost but was potentially in deep doo doo. My front ski looked like an accordian. Otherwise the plane looked okay. I knew where there was two different empty cabins within a mile of me that had wood stoves for heat. I had my snowshoes with me as well. I spent quite a while trying to figure out what was the best course of action. Do I walk out 7 -12 miles? Do I head for one of the cabins and wait for someone to miss and start hunting for me? I finally decided that if the bent front ski would allow me to taxi on the ground until I got to a packed snowmachine trail, I might be able to take off and fly myself back home. That is what I attempted and was successful. The interesting thing was that even though I was pretty shook up mentally I was still able to keep my Wits about me and was able to logically assess my situation. It was an interesting learning experience for me in several different ways.

Tough plane.....congrats on a self rescue.
    I recognize your thought process..........like having a car spinning out in front of you, .....trying to figure out what make and model, where the motor is...which end to hit as hitting the motor end will spin it away from you, where a hit on the empty end will spin in back into you.

This is in place of the "OMG I'm crashing"....and close eyes.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Whenever I'm out in the woods, I'm constantly looking for and assessing the availability of resources (i.e. tinder fungus, water, soft wood for bow drill & fire board, etc). I'm always "planning" in my head and running through "what if" scenarios. Luckily, I haven't needed to carry out those "what if" scenarios, but the mental exercise is in and of itself good practice. I'm sure if I needed to spend the night, or nights, in the back country, I would not have the best night's sleep. I may end up miserable, cold, wet & hungry, but I'd damn well live to tell some awesome stories about it 'round a campfire. A PMA (positive mental attitude) is crucial.

Great discussion. This was the reason for the post. To get a discussion going. I see good response and good argument coming from most of you and the argument on we are at different places is really good.
    If you leave in an very open country, you can get out of the jam quite easily...so let's continue with the discussion, argue if we must. It helps to keep the forum more alive and lose that boring feeling....hehe...keep 'em coming guys.
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

ya know what scares me the most when lost? I'm afraid the wife might find me LOL.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Err Randyt...i would like to forward this forum to your wife..lol..hahahahahahahahahahahaha
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

I've been lost before. For 8 days we couldn't find a mountain range that had comms. We saw many farms and small villages but it being Afghanistan we didn't risk it. Finally one night we heard a couple Blackhawks and threw out our strobes and we were located. We all had everything we needed for survival as far as gear and training. But training can only be so much life like. You truly don't know what it's like till it happens. I'll admit that even though I had my buddies I was scared and so were they. It was deathly cold and will Talie around it was a slow quite process. Luckily we were never engaged.

That must have been one hell on an experience Josh. Yep..you got that right. we can only prepare in terms of tools, mindset and knowledge. Practice often. In Malaysia, there will be no phone coverage even in some rural areas...let alone the jungle...

It was something I will tell my grandchildren. It was rough. I imagine if I was back home I wouldn't have been as afraid because I know my way, the land, plants and animals. But even the water over there will make you question if boiling it is even enough and I didn't know any of the plants. If is wasn't for MREs we would've been hard up

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    ya know what scares me the most when lost? I'm afraid the wife might find me LOL.
    I always though a cell phone was kinda like "belling the cat"..........LOL
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

My father told me from an early age to carry a small kit, (which I do). I have shelter, a space blanket, compass, knife, matches, metal cup, water bottle and food. Oh yah mosquito head net. It all fit in/on a possible type bag. That is just for a walk, I try to look up a topo of the area before hand as a reference. I never feel lost, just am in a different home for the night(s) I will make it home in a bit.
    Bear Clan

I was born with nothing,
    with hard work and deligence I still have most of it
    this week a lot less...must be a hole in my pocket

Tsitenha..yep right mentality, be prepared.....!

So right Tokwan, unless injured even so just a matter of keeping calm, relaxed, bush fever not a good thing. For me I rely on my teachings, experience and culture, even with all the kit in the world, it will become useless if I panic. We can do a lot with a positive attitude.
    Bear Clan

I was born with nothing,
    with hard work and deligence I still have most of it
    this week a lot less...must be a hole in my pocket

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by phreshayr View Post
    Not too many years ago I flipped my ultralight aircraft end over end and ended up hanging upside down from my safety harness with my head in the snow. This was on a solo cross-country flight in the local mountains here in South Central Alaska. I wasn't lost but was potentially in deep doo doo. My front ski looked like an accordian. Otherwise the plane looked okay. I knew where there was two different empty cabins within a mile of me that had wood stoves for heat. I had my snowshoes with me as well. I spent quite a while trying to figure out what was the best course of action. Do I walk out 7 -12 miles? Do I head for one of the cabins and wait for someone to miss and start hunting for me? I finally decided that if the bent front ski would allow me to taxi on the ground until I got to a packed snowmachine trail, I might be able to take off and fly myself back home. That is what I attempted and was successful. The interesting thing was that even though I was pretty shook up mentally I was still able to keep my Wits about me and was able to logically assess my situation. It was an interesting learning experience for me in several different ways.
    Hahha yep, that's so Alaska.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

In all honesty even though I have an edc kit, I feel that I would probably be a little underprepared. I don't have a ton of experience with that type of situation even though I spend a lot of my time in the outdoors. I think I would be physically prepared but not emotionally/mentally prepared if I happened to get lost for a long period of time.
    A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind...
    -Thomas Jefferson

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

Having the right mental attitude and keeping calm is the key to survival, IMHO! Back in 96, I fell from a tree stand and (found out later) broke my back. I was alone at camp and my buddy wasn't coming up to camp until the next day. I knew that I had a serious injury and it was raining. I did not want to lie out in the rain all night, so I had to get my self out of the wood and eventually to the hospital. I knew that if nothing else, I could crawl out to a hard road about two or three hundred yards away and attract some passing drivers attention. Thankfully I had my ATV along and crawled to it and up on it, ( love electric start!) and very slowly drove my self out to the cabin. After a pain pill dulled the pain to a tolerable level, I was able to drive myself to the ER.

I haven't been totally lost in years, but I remember most of the times I got lost when I was a kid, I got mad at myself, and would finally realize that I need to just sit down and calm down. Then I would look for any familiar land marks and try to remember my treck in relative to any visable land marks, then try to work my way back to my starting point.
    The I got smart and bought a cheap compass and started taking headings before I took off into the woods. That way at least I knew the basic direction I came from.
    I have never been big on a huge backpack, just the basics and a tarp for a quick shelter. I have never used a backpack that weighed over 30 lbs. Honestly I could get that much lighter if I tried but I like my comfort items.
    I have never been much of a winter hiker, but extrememly cold weather is a total game changer. That is when the old backpack gets heavy. I keep a cold weather BOB and it probably weighs 60 pounds, and I hope I never need it!

Me, if I were lost?

Id panic like a school girl for an hour or two... Once I grew tired of that, Id start thinking a little level headed and try to sort things out, then set a plan, then work the plan.

EB

I have never been lost in an

OK. I hit the wrong button so I am starting over. Usin