Thread: What are the boards finer points of snaring squirrel???

Default What are the boards finer points of snaring squirrel???

I have always targeted mature hardwoods where the undergrowth provides cover while they are on ground. 15lb picture hanging wire, figure 8 lock loop, has worked OK on ramp setups. Some of the time it looks as if the snare has been pushed aside so to speak, due to loop size I'm guessing, so any advice with that would be appreciated. Just signed up for this site and am looking forward to sharpening my skills with the rest of the Jeremiah Johnsons on here........

rule of thumb I follow is 2 fingers hoop for squirrels 3 fingers for rabbits
    Semper Paratus

Quote Originally Posted by Graf View Post
    rule of thumb I follow is 2 fingers hoop for squirrels 3 fingers for rabbits
    how big are your fingers? I dont have any experience with snares but that seems like a small hoop. Do you have pics?

No pics but squrrels vary in size, reds we have alot of are small, gray are the larger but still works with rule of thumb, my hand size is gloves where a large. You may want to look at how high your hoop is off the limb that can throw the game off.
    Semper Paratus

I've been going at 3-4 fingers......Need to tighten it up a bit, thanks.