Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats your favourite piece of winter kit?

Default Whats your favourite piece of winter kit?

Well its that time of year again.
    Im driving the wife mad while I get out my winter kit and put the summer gear away for another year!

I love camping in all seasons as each has its challenges and rewards for the effort that you put into it.
    Autumn (fall) is so beautiful with the change of colours in the woods and the joy of watching the wildlife getting ready for the winter has never lost its fascination.

Anyway, as I have been going through the summer kit I found myself smiling at a few old faithfuls that see the light each year without fail and I wondered if you do the same.

First my M1951 Parka that I have had and worn during the winter months since 1981. A great coat that I have never got cold or wet wearing. The only dis advantage is its weight of 6lbs and how much heavier it gets when wet.

Second a pair of British army mukluks that I use when its cold and dry. This is my 3rd or 4th pair that Ive had to replace over the past 30 years, but as they are cheap in the surplus store its not a problem.

and Third my Pat 58 British Army sleeping bag that Ive owned since 1984. It now needs a fleece liner in it to keep me warm but I haven't the heart to retire it yet.

So how about you guys!

Any items you use in the winter season that you have had for some time?

Why do you like them?

Got to say, wool long underwear, Carhertt bib's and coat......Stormy Kromer hat, and pack boots.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Love and heavily depend on my Mickey Mouse boots. These aren't old but they are my second pair as the first pair was stolen off my porch.
    Here's a random picture of what they look like. I also heavily rely on hand warmers. I've had frost bite in both my fingers and toes so both are really susceptible to cold damage. I've spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars on boots and none of them even come close to keeping my toes as warm as these. I think I paid $179 for them but they last forever.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

My dog was #1..but she is not with us anymore. she would pull all my gear like no ones business.

My homemade wool parka is probably #2. My wife made it, and I have always used it winter camping, and shoulder season camping. Very warm, and doesn't melt.

My sleeping bag is probably #3. I want to replace it with a lighter option, but it is a -25F (-31C) bag. I have hit that temp with no problems.

My sled is probably next. I can carry a lot without having to carry a lot. The biggest setback with it, is that it needs snow to work. Sometimes that is a problem.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Hi.
    I recently bought a hand made wool bush shirt from TwoDogs on Bushcraftuk. Its made from a wool blanket, (like a wool Parka) real heavy and Im sure gonna enjoy testing it this winter. I have a feeling this will make it into my priority list from now on.

Sorry for not knowing but what are "Micky Mouse boots"?

These are extreme cold weather Milsup boots used in the artic
    Examples
    http://go-armynavy.com/military-surp...use-boots.html

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I am going to break the mold here and admit that I hate winter!

In turn, that makes winter gear a necessity and not something I favor or have a favorite item.

It is all simply necessary evil equipment allowing me to last until spring returns. Much like any number of medical procedures that keeps one alive but is not your favorite thing to experience.

In that light I have a good Cabellas down parka I bought 20 years ago that only slightly depresses me when I take it out of the closet. It is a good deal better than any other coat I have at not letting me die a slow, frozen death.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

On the other hand....I love winter!

Sometimes I have to wear wool socks with my flip flops. Once I even had to wear long pants.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post

Sometimes I have to wear wool socks with my flip flops. Once I even had to wear long pants.
    Thought you were gonna say "sun block and gator repellent"......

My snowshoes- when the snow is deep they're invaluable... Also, my goggles... If the snow is coming hard and I'm caught outdoors, they allow me to get back home... If youve ever been in a blizzard with whipping winds, you know what I'm talking about!
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

A quest for knowledge is never complete.

The only easy day was yesterday.

Oooh. Gator repellant. On the "got to have" list. Is Gator-B-Gone any good?

I was thinking that must be horrible. I thought maybe you were making that up... But, then I remembered you live way up north and it probably does get that freaking col a day or two a year.

I feel for you Crash, it must take true grit to get through those days.

I have a jacket somewhere in the closet in case I travel somewhere that has winter. But, when I am near home that time of year its sunny and 75.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Oooh. Gator repellant. On the "got to have" list. Is Gator-B-Gone any good?
    Look for "deet" content.........should be 2000%.......

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Now I got to mention a couple of nights I spent at the Alafia River Rondy at the end of January a couple of years back, when I nearly froze my valuables off.

I went to Tampa thinking I was going to escape the northern cold and it really didn't work out for me. We had nights into the low 30s and a couple of days that did not reach 60!

If I had not thrown my zero bag into the rig at the last minute I would have been trolling Walmart for cheap blankets on my second day in Florida!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I hate winter too. But the winters here in Boston area aren't much that a good set of duofold longjohns a pair of carhartt cargo pants and a hoodie barn coat over a flannel shirt can't handle. I have some wool lined ski-doo boots too but usually wear a pair of gortex hiking boots. I do have a pair of midweight waterproof bibs I wear occassionally, usually for fishing out on my buddy's boat in early spring. Just enough to keep the snow off when using the snowblower in winter, or the water when breaking ice dams. Keeping dry is important.

Those Timberland gortex boots are my favorite thing. Lightweight, comfortable and waterproof. They just need a touch up with the mink oil on the leather parts in the fall and again around the end of January.

Not much one for camping or hiking in the snow.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

I have a bag that is probably rated at 50 degrees. A couple of times a year I have to put my fleece liner in it. But, that is usually for one night of a trip.

We get a couple of days in a row of cold weather like that and we got iguanas and knight anoles falling out of the trees in the backyard. We had a long cold snap in 2013 that killed a lot of the big pythons, manatees, crocodiles, fish, sea turtles and a lot of out native tropical plants can't take the cold. I am just now starting to see big iguanas again.

http://news.discovery.com/animals/fl...ld-weather.htm

Snow/rain here today. I can see snow starting to accumulate up above, especially in the avalanche chutes. It won’t be long before it builds up into the winter base – or so the ski resorts hope. (That, of course, refers to real skiing, not that sissy stuff they do behind boats on the Intracoastal.)

To pick one, my favorite piece of winter gear is my ice ax. It’s gotten me and others out of some bad spots over the years. No moving parts to wear out and a true multi-use item. I often take mine along on outings even when I am not expecting technical mountaineering.

20131207_144641.jpg
    I don't get to use them much, but I really like my AF Issued Mukluks.
    Last edited by aflineman; 10-13-2014 at 06:24 PM.
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

Quote Originally Posted by Batch
    it must take true grit to get through those days.

True grit only happens when you wear your hong to the beach. Ouch.

I was waiting for this one.

Don't worry Crash, in a couple months we will start posting pictures of this white stuff. It is water, but it is not liquid. Kinda like a snow cone, but all over the place. However, unlike a snow cone, the yellow flavor isn't all that tasty.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee