Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Color Psychology in CCW

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

I think the heat is getting to me. I just had a wild, weird idea. How about manufacturing barrel shrouds a inch or so longer than the real barrel and substancialy larger in diameter. This would greatly increase the intimidation factor of looking down a gaping barrel hole. Especially in poor light conditions. Probably be hard to do on a semi auto but easy to do on a revolver.

Banned

It is very important to know the firearm laws of your state. For example in Texas it is legal to use deadly force to defend yourself and your property or that of someone who has given you permission to be there if you are in your vehicle, office or a human habitation (home were people live), but not a shed, barn or boat house for examples even if the person you think is taking something of very little value and is not armed with a firearm or knife and is not posing a threat to your life. HOWEVER!!! the civil legal action against you may be very sever and personally I would avoid the use of lethal force in most of these situations. Just the fact that I am not technically in criminal violation is a minor detail and may be difficult to defend against in court even with an excellent lawyer with a lot of experience in those types of cases.

https://texaslawshield.com/reports/M...fenseTexas.pdf

Pink gun and such may only obscure the fact that it is a gun if someone looks inside a woman's purse and she does not have it in a side pouch or something, may make it a little bit less likely for a criminal to reuse it in a crime, but I agree with Rick I don't understand why some people prefer the purple, pink, aqua and other silly colors or even fancy colors for men's grips if the primary purpose is self defense.

A salesman at local Walmart told me that local police asked him to call them if suspicious young people purchased air soft pistols that looked a lot like real firearms because the bright orange ring is easily removed. Then if the minor (under 18) is caught robbing a business or person with it the charges are minimal because it is not a firearm and they are not an adult. Most people are so startled they don't look carefully to see if it is a real firearm and the kid may be yelling at them not to look, i.e. "Look down at the ground" face the other direction etc.

GP-TSD-601BBWH.jpg

remove orange ring put a convincing but fake suppressor on there and many people will not risk questioning it.

Real ones plus papers from ATF and long wait for background check is not possible for 17 year old kid as far as I know.

http://www.silencershop.com/silencer...ml?caliber=102

If this is giving problem kids bad ideas please delete or edit it.

I did read from a fairly reliable source that most firearm crimes are not committed with stolen guns because in the USA if a criminal wants a firearm they are very easy to get by fairly easy means or straw purchases and most criminals know exactly what they want not whatever they happen to steal form someone.
    Last edited by TXyakr; 07-23-2015 at 07:35 PM. Reason: added photo link

Quote Originally Posted by TXyakr View Post
    It is very important to know the firearm laws of your state. For example in Texas it is legal to use deadly force to defend yourself and your property or that of someone who has given you permission to be there if you are in your vehicle, office or a human habitation (home were people live), but not a shed, barn or boat house for examples even if the person you think is taking something of very little value and is not armed with a firearm or knife and is not posing a threat to your life. HOWEVER!!! the civil legal action against you may be very sever and personally I would avoid the use of lethal force in most of these situations. Just the fact that I am not technically in criminal violation is a minor detail and may be difficult to defend against in court even with an excellent lawyer with a lot of experience in those types of cases.

https://texaslawshield.com/reports/M...fenseTexas.pdf

Pink gun and such may only obscure the fact that it is a gun if someone looks inside a woman's purse and she does not have it in a side pouch or something, may make it a little bit less likely for a criminal to reuse it in a crime, but I agree with Rick I don't understand why some people prefer the purple, pink, aqua and other silly colors or even fancy colors for men's grips if the primary purpose is self defense.

A salesman at local Walmart told me that local police asked him to call them if suspicious young people purchased air soft pistols that looked a lot like real firearms because the bright orange ring is easily removed. Then if the minor (under 18) is caught robbing a business or person with it the charges are minimal because it is not a firearm and they are not an adult. Most people are so startled they don't look carefully to see if it is a real firearm and the kid may be yelling at them not to look, i.e. "Look down at the ground" face the other direction etc.

GP-TSD-601BBWH.jpg

remove orange ring put a convincing but fake suppressor on there and many people will not risk questioning it.

Real ones plus papers from ATF and long wait for background check is not possible for 17 year old kid as far as I know.

http://www.silencershop.com/silencer...ml?caliber=102

If this is giving problem kids bad ideas please delete or edit it.

I did read from a fairly reliable source that most firearm crimes are not committed with stolen guns because in the USA if a criminal wants a firearm they are very easy to get by fairly easy means or straw purchases and most criminals know exactly what they want not whatever they happen to steal form someone.
    You might avoid a minimum mandatory sentence if the gun you have is not real. I don't know. But, in Florida at least. Implying that you have a firearm is good enough to be convicted of armed robbery. A perfect example is handing a bank clerk a note saying I have a gun is the same charge as actually having the gun. While just handing the clerk a note saying to put the money in the bag is not armed robbery unless you stick your hand in your shirt or otherwise imply you have a gun.

Banned

Default Younger teens pressured by lies to commit these crimes

Most teenagers don't think they will get caught and don't fully understand the law and believe someone (older member in gang) who exaggerates the differences between first degree and second degree but here is a simple explanation of the differences in penalties between the two for an adult not minor which may be different if the kid was actually charged as a minor.

"Robbery (using fake gun or soft-air gun or finger under clothing etc.) is charged as a second degree felony in Texas. This carries a penalty of two to twenty years in a state prison and/or a fine of no more than $10,000. If the crime is elevated to that of aggravated robbery (using real firearm), the charge will be first degree felony. This carries a more serious penalty of five to 99 years in a state prison and/or a fine of no more than $10,000." - See more at:
    http://statelaws.findlaw.com/texas-l....oCRTxiWV.dpuf

Truth is that a first time offense by a minor may be pleaded down to no time served just probation and/or he/she is sent to a school with brightly colored uniforms where he/she meets new friends and learns new tricks so as not to get caught next time. Talk to some friends of yours in the legal system or law enforcement learn how it works in your county.
    Last edited by TXyakr; 07-24-2015 at 07:18 AM. Reason: typos

Banned

In Alabama the law is different this 16 year old boy is charged with first degree felony for armed robbery for using a toy gun. Bond set at $60,000 ($30K each count) and boy charged as an adult, two different offenses. My guess is that he will spend several years in jail, but I did not follow this case.

http://www.wvtm13.com/news/16yearold...y-gun/32260190

Boy and his family should be thankful he was caught by law enforcement and not shot with a real firearm by someone he was attempting to rob.

Comment section shows that some people write very rude things but many agree he was lucky none of his victims were armed. I wonder if he selected those he believed would not be like woman and delivery person, still very risky many weaker looking women and delivery people for whom it is against company policy to carry still do carry. Some kids are just foolish. My Mother-in-law looks very old and weak but she can shoot very well with great accuracy, he would be a fool to try to rob her.

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/in...rmed_with.html
    Last edited by TXyakr; 07-24-2015 at 08:03 AM.

Banned

There are well over 100 highly recommended Concealed Handguns for under $500 that are great for personal defense but this is one (The Judge by Taurus .45) looks intimidating and for camping you can also put in .410 shotgun shells to take care of pesky snakes that come slithering into your campsite or mice that chew through your gear. (But NOT in state parks or places where the park ranger will fine you and kick you out.) Also many revolvers are highly reliable and can be shot under water, don't jam easily, they are even more fool proof than a Glock.

So like me this simple little revolver was made in Brazil (The Judge!) but you may be seeing a real Judge if you don't know the laws and follow them so use common sense!

http://www.taurususa.com/product-det...crumbseries=41

I'm sorry but generally things that are designed to do multiple things don't do either very well. There is no way I would touch off a shotgun shell in a handgun. First, it would kill my hand. Second, my time back on target would take far too long because of the recoil. I'm not saying it's not right for others only that it's not right for me. That's one gun I'll never own.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I'm sorry but generally things that are designed to do multiple things don't do either very well. There is no way I would touch off a shotgun shell in a handgun. First, it would kill my hand. Second, my time back on target would take far too long because of the recoil. I'm not saying it's not right for others only that it's not right for me. That's one gun I'll never own.
    I have shot one of these multiple times, the Judge sucks. Yeah it shoots .410 and 45LC, but it doesn't do either one will. Spread and consistency suck as a shotgun and accuracy for a 45lc is mediocre at best. I would take a .357mag which also shoots .38spl and then use snake loads for pesky little things. In fact, that is what I carry!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

While not my carry weapon, I do have and like the .357 for its versatility. It really gives me 4 platforms if I pick up a rifle to match.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Love my .357s and really don't care what color they arrive in. Got me a blue one and a stainless one and a couple of little ones and a couple of big ones and the rifle to match. Well I have the H&R barrel to match anyway.

When the late wife decided to get her CCW I bought her an .357 snubbie just so she could shoot any ammo she could shove into it or pick up a box of anything on the Walmart shelf and never worry about an overload.

.38 spl
    .38 shot loads
    .38+p
    .38+p+
    and they will also shoot .38 Super

And not many people realize that you can loop a piece of snare wire around the rim groove of a .380acp shell and shoot it out of a .38/.357.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

While not my carry weapon, I do have and like the .357 for its versatility. It really gives me 4 platforms if I pick up a rifle to match.
    I guess I should clarify. The .357 is my woods/camping carry. My regular day to day is either a 9mm or 380, depending on attire.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

You have to wonder who the first guy was that thought..."you know, if I wrap some snare wire around the rim groove of a .380.....". To me that's right up there with..."I know the fuse went out on the dynamite but I'll just stick another one in..."

Quote Originally Posted by TXyakr View Post
    There are well over 100 highly recommended Concealed Handguns for under $500 that are great for personal defense but this is one (The Judge by Taurus .45) looks intimidating and for camping you can also put in .410 shotgun shells to take care of pesky snakes that come slithering into your campsite or mice that chew through your gear. (But NOT in state parks or places where the park ranger will fine you and kick you out.) Also many revolvers are highly reliable and can be shot under water, don't jam easily, they are even more fool proof than a Glock.

So like me this simple little revolver was made in Brazil (The Judge!) but you may be seeing a real Judge if you don't know the laws and follow them so use common sense!

http://www.taurususa.com/product-det...crumbseries=41
    Do you own one?....Have you tried one?

I have a Circuit Judge (carbine)....shoots .410 pretty well at about 30 ft......But needs the "shot straightening tube" screwed in...or your pattern goes to heck.
    Now with this tube installed, you can't (or shouldn't) shoot the .45lc thru it......but with the tube taken out, shoots about a 2 in group at 50ft.......But the pattern now goes all to heck at 30ft.

So, the idea of mixing up 5 rounds in any combination or .45lc and .410 gets you a fair shooting .45lc and a crappy patterned .410.

BTW, I won the Circuit Judge in a Ducks Unlimited Raffle 52 playing cards @ $10 bucks each....I would never BUY any of the Judge family.

Looks cool, and make you feel like Lee Van Cleef.........
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

You have to wonder who the first guy was that thought..."you know, if I wrap some snare wire around the rim groove of a .380.....". To me that's right up there with..."I know the fuse went out on the dynamite but I'll just stick another one in..."

That is not really "out there". And come to think about it, I did once have to place detonating charge next to a dud main charge of C4. It gives you a greater appreciation for life.

I have one revolver with two of the cylinders reamed out to accept 9mmP.

Who knows, when I use up the present 650,000 rounds I might have to improvise!

A woods bum has just got to do what he's got to do.

As for the .380 in the .357, I was amazed to find that the .380 is more accurate out of the revolver than it has been out of any automatic pistol I ever owned.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

I would never own/carry a pink weapon. I did buy a pink .22 for my daughter but she was 11/12 and I got a cheap deal on it from a friend/gun dealer. Probably next year I will be buying her something full size and get a bit more serious about it.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Hunter has a pink .22 rifle, I remember him posting a picture of it..........LOL If he was pointing that pink .22 at me, I would not give him any trouble at all!

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    I would never own/carry a pink weapon. I did buy a pink .22 for my daughter but she was 11/12 and I got a cheap deal on it from a friend/gun dealer. Probably next year I will be buying her something full size and get a bit more serious about it.

Cricket makes adult size replacement stocks at $40. A small expense to keep the rifle functional for the entire family.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    Hunter has a pink .22 rifle, I remember him posting a picture of it..........LOL If he was pointing that pink .22 at me, I would not give him any trouble at all!
    Twern't I, no pink guns here......
    Have looked at the Crickets as a take apart stash possibility......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I have a Cricket for the grand kids. Hardest dang thing to load I've ever seen. I have to point it down and let the round fall into the chamber.

Kind of like how I have to get into a sports car anymore.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel