Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Color Psychology in CCW

Default Color Psychology in CCW

I've never been a big fan of pink handguns for women to carry as a defensive tool. We just don't view pink as a threat the way we do black or OD or some other hard color. Obviously the color of the weapon doesn't make it any less lethal but my concern is a guy might try to reason with a woman that pulls a pink weapon. That's not what you want to happen. You don't want the woman forced into a situation that she has to fire if the display of the weapon is enough to deter the criminal. Pull a black weapon and the bad guys might back away and look for an easier target.

Maybe I'm all wet in my thinking but if a woman in my family has to pull a weapon I want the bad guy to know instantly that he has found himself in a bad situation and he needs to back off. That might not happen as quickly with a pink weapon. One of the reasons, in my opinion, that anti-gunners hate ARs is because they just look bad. It doesn't matter the capability they are black and they just look nasty bad. I think that same psychology carries over to other colors.

I just throw this out to think about if you or your female companion are considering a new CCW for her (or yourself if you are a woman). You want every possible edge in your defense and color may well play a role.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_psychology

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I have always favored nickel plated guns for the women in my life for about the same reasons.

If my wife or daughter has to pull a gun I want everyone in the immediate area to know the gun is there instantly.

Nothing is more scary than a frightened/mad woman with a gun!

Much easier for a woman to do a convincing "fear for your life" statement too.

A close friend did just purchase a Charter .38 in pink anodized finish.

I doubt that the color will make any difference because she is more of a shooter and less of a threatener.

I wonder if I would hate for my last thought, as a bad guy, to be that I was just blown away by a woman with a pink pistol.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 10-09-2014 at 11:26 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Great post Rick. I have long thought that pink firearms had the look of toys and may not be taken seriously.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Good point.

Unless I win one at a D.U. Dinner or something,..... this isn't a concern for me/us.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post

Nothing is more scary than a frightened/mad woman with a gun!
    A frightened/mad woman with PMS and a gun

When I lived out west I saw a sign on a road leading into a large ranch, it read

- No trespassing, owner is armed and has PMS -

I continued driving down the road...

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The size of the barrel, more than the color of the gun, I think. Hard to see what color it is when you're staring up the barrel from the business end.

I do understand the psychology of the idea, tho. Would a gun color like seafoam green, or baby blue be less effective? no, but the offending party might see it as an opportunity to get inside your head.. plead with you, or some other stuff I can't seem to put into words. greens and blues and even pink would make the statement of being easily persuaded.

Guns shouldn't look like toys. They should look like guns. black, or metal.
    Now that I think about it, red might even be a good color ?
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

With all due respect... I think The "pink is a bad color for a gun " argument is bogus.... If she is pulling the gun on someone, it should be to use it. I was always taught that you dont aim a gun at somebody to intimidate someone- you aim a gun at somebody to shoot them. If it gets to that point, the color doesnt matter one little bit.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

A quest for knowledge is never complete.

The only easy day was yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by NightShade View Post
    With all due respect... I think The "pink is a bad color for a gun " argument is bogus.... If she is pulling the gun on someone, it should be to use it. I was always taught that you dont aim a gun at somebody to intimidate someone- you aim a gun at somebody to shoot them. If it gets to that point, the color doesnt matter one little bit.
    Agree with that....If you are gonna pull it, you better be ready to use it.
    Last edited by hunter63; 10-09-2014 at 06:12 PM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

As one of the female persuasion, I have to say I was (surprisingly) pulled to buy a pink gun. If they had offered my selection in that color I would have bought it and carried it. Or in lime green.
    WHY? because I don't need to look all bada$$ or scary or out there or like a guy. In fact, I don't want to.

I just need to know I have the weapon that will take care of the situation at home or elsewhere.

Pink signifies girlie/mom/barbies to many. TO ME IT WOULD HAVE MEANT I COULD SEE MY GUN IN MY BLACK PURSE AT ALL TIMES. At night, at dusk. In a dark parking lot. I bought a lime green IPhone for that very same reason. Most gals carry black/dark purses and guess what, the interiors are also that color. I don't want to be searching for the gun by feel. I want to see it and have it ready when needed.

But they did not offer my weapon of choice in that color.

Ok JMHO
    But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. Joshua 24:15

I read once that all police officers should carry pink guns rather than black, for the psychology to remind them they're not soldiers, to maybe cut down on times when lethal force is uncalled for, but used anyways.

Ha Chris.

To address the original post I'll say that while I don't spend my time menacing women, if one ever points a gun at me I'm probably not going to be concerned with what color it is. That might just be me but I suspect that in general it's attitude with which it's done that will determine how seriously the introduction of force will be received if the sight of a gun doesn't make the difference.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I read once that all police officers should carry pink guns rather than black, for the psychology to remind them they're not soldiers, to maybe cut down on times when lethal force is uncalled for, but used anyways.
    It was about knives rather than guns, but one article I read suggested that knives in bright or pastel colors are perceived as less threatening and intimidating than knives with black or dark handles. I think this article was probably correct. The article was about legal defense if a knife must be used for self defense.

You are right on the money Rick. I think it is just more wuss-a-facation of the U.S.
    Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade
    If she is pulling the gun on someone, it should be to use it.

That's a common misconception. There are plenty of situations in which the display of a weapon is both warranted and prudent. If a person is approaching you with a knife or club but yet a safe distance away the display of a weapon may stop them in their tracks. The night I caught someone breaking into my truck I was forced to approach from the opposite side of the vehicle. I had no idea whether he was armed or not and if he was armed what he might have had. I approached with gun drawn and we met at the back of the truck. Had I used my weapon I would have shot an unarmed 19 year old. Had I approached with weapon holstered I might have gotten my butt kicked or worse. As it was, the display of a weapon diffused the situation. He left, I called the police and he was arrested. LEO displays their weapon all the time to diffuse a situation
    and to be prepared to defend themselves IF necessary.

If you were to change that comment to."
    If she is pulling the gun on someone, SHE should be READY to use it," then I would agree with you.

As to whether my color post is bogus, it might well be. As I said, I might be all wet. I only offered it as food for thought. If someone is choosing a defensive carry weapon I believe they should do so with as much fore thought put toward the right weapon as possible.

@Solar Geek - Your post on finding it in a dark purse is probably a valid argument but I have this conversation with my wife all the time. What happens if you don't have time to dig through your purse or the purse gets snatched? One member purposely purchased a pink rifle so it would be easier to find in the snow. So there are valid considerations on color.

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

Interesting post, Rick. I see your point although I have not made up my mind about the issue. One of my grand daughters was offered the opportunity to get a pink rifle and said "No Way" For some people, a pink gun MAY be less intimidating, for others any color of a firearm in intimidating. I agree that the size of the hole in the barrel of any firearm that is pointed at you is the most intimidating thing, in MHO. I really think non traditional colors are just a marketing gimmick. (I saw an add last night in a gun magazine for purple firearms).

I used to work with a female officer who carried pink handcuffs. Men absolutely hated getting arrested by her!!!!!!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Someone mentioned red. That would be bad. Most toy guns have a red muzzle to signify they are toys. If my kids have a toy gun, and the muzzle isn't red, I make sure and paint it red.

I think it is true that you don't want a real gun perceived as a toy, but you also don't want a toy gun perceived as real.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    Someone mentioned red. That would be bad. Most toy guns have a red muzzle to signify they are toys. If my kids have a toy gun, and the muzzle isn't red, I make sure and paint it red.

I think it is true that you don't want a real gun perceived as a toy, but you also don't want a toy gun perceived as real.

Here in my area, they are safety orange and people (criminals) paint the tips of real guns that color so police won't shoot when necessary. That is the criminals hope anyway.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I've never been a big fan of pink handguns for women to carry as a defensive tool. We just don't view pink as a threat the way we do black or OD or some other hard color. Obviously the color of the weapon doesn't make it any less lethal but my concern is a guy might try to reason with a woman that pulls a pink weapon. That's not what you want to happen. You don't want the woman forced into a situation that she has to fire if the display of the weapon is enough to deter the criminal. Pull a black weapon and the bad guys might back away and look for an easier target.

Maybe I'm all wet in my thinking but if a woman in my family has to pull a weapon I want the bad guy to know instantly that he has found himself in a bad situation and he needs to back off. That might not happen as quickly with a pink weapon. One of the reasons, in my opinion, that anti-gunners hate ARs is because they just look bad. It doesn't matter the capability they are black and they just look nasty bad. I think that same psychology carries over to other colors.

I just throw this out to think about if you or your female companion are considering a new CCW for her (or yourself if you are a woman). You want every possible edge in your defense and color may well play a role.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_psychology
    I have never been a fan of anything PINK!
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

I think that Rick has a valid point. Nowadays many toy guns, in addition to the red barrel tip, are molded from brightly colored plastic. There are two types of force employed against an assailant when you draw your weapon - physical and psychological. The physical force is latent until you pull the trigger but the psychological force is present as soon as your weapon is displayed. Giving the bad guy any reason to believe that he is being bluffed will deprive you of that psychological force and escalate the encounter to the point of burning powder.