Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thistle-down fletched blowgun darts

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I checked to see what the status is for a blow gun in Canada. I’m not surprised to find out that they are a prohibited weapon too
    I reckon I'm lucky to live in GA where primitive weapons are legal for taking game
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

Quote Originally Posted by TXyakr View Post
    For many years I though "river cane" WAS bamboo. .
    Sorry for the delay but thought I'd weigh in. Each node of bamboo has sort of a crease in each section where the leaf (stem) grew and they alternate from side to side. A cross section of the bore will look sort of like an apple with a small bite taken. Not really suitable for blowgun use. Rivercane has a round bore, much longer segments and a VERY slow taper making eight or nine foot barrels feasible. I have seven or eight pieces of varied quality rivercane that I purchased in Tahlequah, Oklahoma during the Cherokee National Holiday. The first weekend in Sept each year they have blowgun competitions and also sell guns darts and cane. The most I paid was $25 for a decent looking five foot section already bored and fairly straight. One of the regulars allowed me to video his dart making technique.

One other possibility is Sumac. Find a decently straight section and drill out the soft pith while it is still green. Easier to find than rivercane.
    Last edited by neondog; 02-11-2015 at 01:51 AM. Reason: additional idea
    That which you sew, so shall ye reap.
    United States Blowgun Association

Banned

Default Blowgun and dart making Cherokee style, very cool stuff

Thanks neondog that was very informative. Now I understand why I have never seen a good blowgun made from actual bamboo. Jumping from that very good video you posted I clicked on this video from the Cherokee Heritage Center which had a good life wisdom lesson as well as bit about blowgun and dart making. Next time I'm on a river in these parts I'll be hunting river cane, hope to paddle on down with some straight shafts of it. Finding 5-9', 1/2-1" diameter is very difficult. Might get shot by a land owner. Will ask permission if beyond the flood line or close to it.

Stumbled across pics of two types of thistle. The first is what I believe the Cherokee are using (Scottish Thistle?) The second picture is what I gather in Comanchee county in Oklahoma. Pretty sure it is Wavy Leaf Thistle and certain that it's not as much fun to work with.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    That which you sew, so shall ye reap.
    United States Blowgun Association