Thread: Talking about cheap and expensive knives

Default Talking about cheap and expensive knives

Looks like local outdoor companies have been sending me knives and other stuffs for reviews lately. I do not know why as I do not think I am an expert but since I am able to get freebies and a bit of cash, I guess why not.

I have done a few reviews on hammocks, tarps, tents, lanterns, cook set, stoves and lately knives. Somehow I found that some of the cheap knives are really worth it and some of the pricey/branded knives might be worth it or are just simply pricey and not much better.

I have reviewed knives from MORA, GERBER, Tramontina and lately Bad Blood. I would trash these knives, and then compare them to the U-Tube reviews by others and sometimes, I find that the reviews on U-Tube are more towards marketing the products by giving a god review and not really telling the public what the knives are good for, how well they stack to other knives etc.

When the outdoor companies in Malaysia send me the items to be reviewed, I would test it outdoors, against the elements and review the items based on how it is used while camping and surviving. This will include batoning, skinning, cutting slicing, stabbing, making fire, ease of use, bush crafting, and multiusage.

So, sometimes, I found that the cheaper knives, as to how much they cost, are really worth it. And of course most of the branded pricey knives are worth it, but their price to the average Joe? We cannot simply expect everyone to be buying those $200.00 and above knives and use them daily.
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

It also depends on what the knife is marketed for. For example, a lot of the Mora knives that folks use in the woods are actually designed for the construction industry. They just happen to lend themselves to use in the woods. Others were designed specifically for hunting, fishing and general outdoor use. Don't forget to check their marketing literature closely to see what they are marketing it for. I've seen a lot of YouTube reviews on Mora knives that talk about their use in the woods and the knives they were testing were construction knives. They didn't even know what it was designed for.

Yep..most of the knives that were sent to me fall under 3 category. They are hunting knives, Bushcraft knives and survival knives. I limit my testing and review for these three types only. It has to be related to usage in the jungle.
    And Yep, I agree, that there are some people who do not know why knives are categorized in such a way and what kind of knives to use.They want me to test the knives in the environment here. We get the new knives late as they are only imported once the shops sees the reviews on the web. Once they are brought here, those who know me would send me one for a review..obviously most of the knives that I review would be mine..hehehehe,...one way of getting free knives...
    Last edited by Tokwan; 10-08-2014 at 09:21 PM.
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!