Thread: Looking for best, cheap way to shred leaves

Default Looking for best, cheap way to shred leaves

I want to shred my leaves for the compost pile. I don't want to spend $100 on a leaf sucker. I don't want to stoop to putting a weed eater in a trash can. If I mulch them with a mower the majority are left on the ground and are lost in the grass.
    I'm tolf that not mulching them would not work as well because they just form a moldy mat.
    Any ideas?

Honestly, make sure they're dry, then run over them with a mulching mower but with a bag attached, works great for me. Sure, some bits are left on the ground, but no avoiding that if you don't want to do the two other options. You basically have mentioned the three options, if none of them work I don't know there is anything else.

My bagging mower does a really nice job........Actually bought it for the bag and that reason
    Have to do it often as it will get overloaded sometimes.
    Been using a rider lately....actually looked at a leaf sucker attachment for that....kinda spendy...so most likely not
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Yep - bagging them is the easiest way.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I used to use a mulching mower but run it over piles in the side driveway, not on the grass. No bag. Detaching the bag every ten minutes gets tiresome. You might want them slightly damp too, to keep the dust down. Not too wet or they'll stick all over the underside of the mower.
    Now I have a gas powered shredder chipper with a chute you can lay on the ground and rake leaves into. Way too powerful for leaves, blows em half across the yard if you don't set up a retaining fence (I just use chicken wire, again because emptying the bag every 5 minutes sucks,) but man, sure makes short work if the leaf piles. Noisy as a real wood chipper too. Bonus is paying back the neighbor for the summer of him banging on scrap metal parts.
    This thing, but I didn't pay THAT price for it. Got mine on winter inventory discount for about half that at a local hardware store.
    http://www.chippersdirect.com/MTD-Ya...er/p11533.html
    Last edited by LowKey; 10-06-2014 at 08:41 PM.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Hear ya on the chipper shredder, very wise man, garbage to gold.......

On my 3rd one now and beat that all to heck over the last 15 years.
    The welds on the sheet metal vibrated loose and has been patched.

I have never hauled anything out of my yard all the years I lived there....till last year....pulling over the 10 HP motor is getting harder and harder. (need an electric start)

They are the great machines....handle everything from leaves to branches.

Lusting after one of these.......
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by hunter63; 10-06-2014 at 09:20 PM.

Blog Entries

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a mulching mower?
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

A mulching mower has a mulching blade. The blade is curved more than a regular mower blade and can have more cutting surfaces. They are designed to cut the clippings into much smaller pieces so the clippings can be left on the grass without damaging it. This allows the clippings to be used as "mulch" for the yard. You have to mow more often if you are mulching the grass to ensure no thatch is left on the lawn. Mine is made of aluminum and the body is higher than a standard mower to help suspend the clippings inside the mower so they can be clipped over and over cutting them into smaller and smaller pieces. My mower has no discharge when mulching.

Standard mowers on the other hand are designed to cut the grass and discharge the clippings.

Mulching mower is a slightly different blade and restricted outlet that allows grass clipping, and of course leaves, to be more finely chopped and returned to the lawn.

This builds allows the nutrients to be returned to the soil rather than carted away....as bagged clipping and leaves.

Some mowers just cut and blow out the side or back and laves down a laver like mowing hay.

Just a way of building soil and making use of fertilizer already spread as well as nutrients for the soil.

Blog Entries

Gotcha, just never heard of one before.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

People here in the US tend to over do lawns....billions of dollars spent.

Had a neighbor build a new house across the street for ours.....Had sod put down with a lot of prep work.
    When it got going he would spend all sorts of time and money on fertilizer, weed and feed, crab grass preventer, and bug stuff.

Mowed his lawn with a bag on it, right to left, top to bottom and cross ways........carried his clipping off in bags.

Had sprinklers running every day....on a timer so watered even when it rained.

I would mow mine and just let everything lay.....the tree was much smaller then so I would just mow up the leaves.

On day he stopped over and ask way I didn't bag and haul off.......That his father showed him the PROPER way to keep a yard.
    Claimed the clipping caused thatch.

Had just read an article in the paper by the collage horticultural Professor explaining why not to do as he was doing......
    Went in the house and show him
    Leaves contains trace element from deep in the ground as well a microorganisms that are beneficial to the soil.......cuts land fill, and helps keep fertilized out of streams and lakes.

He wasn't happy with me or "the right thing to do"....LOL....but did decide to try it.
    Next time he got ready he took off the bag.....then couldn't get it started...(safety interlock)...till show him how to get it running....he cut the grass..........Looked like it drove him crazy.

He went back to bagging, but doesn't say anything to me any more.......Just make me laugh when I think about it.......each to his own.

For a smallish property with only a single sizable tree I've been known to spread them out to dry, throw them on a tarp, fold it over and trample them into near oblivion. It's not efficient, but it's nearly free.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Woman looking out kitchen window. "Honey, Canid is throwing some kind of a fit. He must really be mad. He's stomping all over his tarp."
    "He's mulching leaves."
    "Oooh."