Thread: Pie Irons (Hobo Pie Maker)

Default Pie Irons (Hobo Pie Maker)

Just wondering if anyone uses the following when they go car camping?

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I think they're great for making hot sandwiches over the fire. It browns the bread like grilled cheese, and you can add just about anything for a sandwich. We've made some of the following:

Grilled Turkey and Cheese (along with tomato soup)
    BBQ chicken sandwich
    Pizza sandwiches (tomato paste, pepperoni, sausage and cheese)

A tasty dessert can be made from pie filling (cherry, apple, blueberry, etc.)

They taste great and the kids love them. If you google it, you can find all sorts of recipes
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

I have some and I remember using them when I was a kid!

They work great. Put fruit pie filling in them and you have a great desert.

Don
    No one knows more about a task then the person that does it, Practice makes perfect!

I haven't used them but I would think they would be great for the fireplace, too!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Used them when I'd do camping out of my truck when I could bring a nice kitchen set up, but not for backpacking. My two sons were "Masters" at those things making pizza sandwiches all the time. They are handy things to have, I will say that.
    "The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

Quote Originally Posted by Tahyo
    They are handy things to have, I will say that.
    The pie irons or your sons?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

uh... both of course.
    "The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

Mmmmmm Freshly baked apple pie
    A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.

Banned

I've made breakfast sandwiches with them with raw bisquit dough on both sides loosely scarmbled eggs and sausage crumble and pepper jack cheese. Tricky to work with raw dough bit once you get the hang of it it's pretty good. I've also used cresent roll dough just didn't roll them .I currently don't have any pie oirons because my storage unit was broken into and everything of value lighter then the washer and dryer and fridge was taken.

Never thought of doing raw dough. Your own, in the wild, Mcmuffin. Please say you used bacon too!
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

Raw dough in the wild. I have to be the worst wilderness baker that ever lived. Even stick bread is a comedy worth watching. I always wind up with a goo all over me and everything around me. You could track me through the woods by the blops of dough I leave behind. About the best I can do outdoors is Navajo fry bread. (sadly shakes his head)

I have used pie irons when camping and at home for 35 years. My daughters love making sandwiches with pie irons over our fire pit in the backyard.
    "The ability for a person to prevail in a survival situation is based on three factors: survival knowledge, equipment, and will to survive. All are important, but the most important is the will to survive." -Greg Davenport