Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "I'm your huckleberry!"

One idea I've been tossing around. 1/4" carbon steel.

Instead of the "Striker edge" i was thinking more along the lines of a scraping edge for a firesteel.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I have a couple of other ideas and I'll try to get them on paper as well.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

I kind of like the Matt Graham knife as well.

Maybe something along the line of a Dark Arrow big Bowie Hunting knife. but more traditonal with the hook.bowie.jpg
    Awanita from the wild patato clan of the Tsalagi/Cherokee. "When the time comes, know how to only be seen when wanted to be seen".

Not much of a good drawer on this one but I'd also like to see a small woodlore-ish knife made out of 3/32" stock, 3.5" blade, 4" handle, 1" high, high convex grind, and the handle tapers to the blade.

And also a kukri like knife with a varied grind. Hope the drawing makes sense.

~Rocky Balboa

I like a straight blade appox 6 inches long, 3/16-1/4", Pouch sheath. More traditional I guess.
    "
    Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.

Here's a rough sketch of something I've had in mind:

handle bout 4.5" including hardware, blade at that scale 3 7/8" for the small or 4 7/8" for the larger. Thickness could be 3/8" for the small or 1/4" for the larger. I imagine slab sided construction for this design.

I know the text describing the features didn't come out well but I think you can mostly make it out. The features in question seem a little gimmicky to me, but I think they could be genuinely useful without at worst compromising the utility of the knife in any way.

Well; that's my two bits for now. It could stand a bit of refinement. The lines don't flow right, the features may be a bit exaggerated, etc.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 10-07-2014 at 08:34 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

OK we need some more direction or it looks like we are heading in the direction of the Matt Graham knife. Now you guys understand I cant just copy it... It will have to be modified somewhat...lol. I'm actually thinking about blending it with the Bowie ideas? A Matt Bowie of sorts!
    Without counsel purposes are disappointed: but in the multitude of counsellers they are established.

s.pottscustomknives@gmail.com
    www.facebook.com/s.pottscustomknives
    http://s1248.beta.photobucket.com/us...llss7/library/

Quote Originally Posted by randallss7 View Post
    OK we need some more direction or it looks like we are heading in the direction of the Matt Graham knife. Now you guys understand I cant just copy it... It will have to be modified somewhat...lol. I'm actually thinking about blending it with the Bowie ideas? A Matt Bowie of sorts!
    Sounds like a plan, just blend, adjust, mold and adapt something new but similar - I like the idea!!

I believe that Matt's knife started life as a Condor Jungle Bowie and then was modified to what we have seen on the show.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Another vote for the 10 inch Clip Point, the smaller version of the Pig Sticker

I have not forgot about this deal. I have all my tools and other stuff moved to new location, but its still in a big pile on the floor. As soon as I get back up and running this is on top of my to do list.
    Without counsel purposes are disappointed: but in the multitude of counsellers they are established.

Hope its not to late to vote! Even if it is can't wait to see the finished product! I say a bull nose skinner like the pic you posted except with a flat spine or a bowie of some sort.

Right around 3:40 they talk about Matt Graham's knife.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTIA...ature=youtu.be
    ~Rocky Balboa

I'm getting very close to starting this project. I have been helping my son with rebuilding an old house. This is in my best interest as he and his wife are staying here until we get it finished...lol. Anyway I have a general size and shape in my head that will be a compilation of suggestions from this thread. I will get it on some paper and we can discuss. Sorry for the delay.

Nothing to be sorry for. It's a most gracious offer that you've made. Do so at your leisure.

This knife is going against my grain of what I would usually do so I'm not sure how this looks, plus I can never tell until its in steel. I took the Matt Gram idea and the bowie Idea and melted them together, I'm not sure about the sub hilt, I'm not sure about the full guard? You guys run it back and forth and lets see where it goes. I gave it a slightly curved belly from front to back, with a similar shaped profile, put more of a Bowie/randallss7 handle on it anyway let me know what you think add or delete. We could make this thing 3/16 to 1/4" thick no problem. full tang construction with no holes except for the pins under the scales so you can really chop with it. Even though I would think you would want a more weight foreword shape to the blade for optimal chopping, but the pure size and weight will go a long way. Maybe give the handle another 1/2" or so.

removed the sub hilt and the top guard, added a thumb rest, makes it look like almost a completely different knife this is and option too or something in between.

Personally, I like the bottom sketch. My only reasoning is it might fit a smaller hand better. Without the sub hilt you can adjust your hand to wherever the knife feels right.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Personally, I like the bottom sketch. My only reasoning is it might fit a smaller hand better. Without the sub hilt you can adjust your hand to wherever the knife feels right.
    I agree that's why I decided to sketch it out. Good input feel free to suggest any more or other changes.

Quote Originally Posted by randallss7 View Post
    removed the sub hilt and the top guard, added a thumb rest, makes it look like almost a completely different knife this is and option too or something in between.

I like the looks of this. Seems like it would perform several different functions.
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!