Thread: When Knife Collecting Goes Bad

Default When Knife Collecting Goes Bad

During my time on earth, I have met many people that "collect" something, and they end up amassing massive piles of junk. We all know at least one knife collector like this, the guy that purchases any knife he sees as long as its in his affordability range. Over time, this collector creates an amassment of useless junk that's not fit for resale.

I have a friend that collects different assortments of "stuff". That stuff usually pertains fishing and weaponry. A couple years ago, when he was in need, I made him a loan that I knew he would never pay back. We've been friends since we were teenagers, and he believed in me a few times when I didn't believe in myself.

He never forgot this loan. He swore up and down that he would one day repay me. After awhile, I told him that I forgot about the loan and that it didn't matter to me - like any good friend would do. When he moved he decided to settle the loan by giving me bits and pieces of his collections that he had to leave behind. Of many things I ended up with, was this:

IMG_20141003_010611.jpg

I think the best two knives are the Winchester Bowie and the Smith and Wesson folding knife made by Frost. It's basically a hodgepodge of everything he could buy that cost 20 dollars or less. Sad thing is, I don't know if anyone will buy this crap, and secondly I don't want to sell this crap to anyone because I will feel like I cheated them.

And no, that's just some of the knives I've ended up with. When I got this a few days ago, there was a second shoe box that I've misplaced. I'll get the second picture as soon as I find the box.

I'm thinking trash can.

Yes, the shiny pocket knife at the bottom is a pocket knife purchased from a Dollar Tree. I saw the same exact one a few days ago while I was in there looking at candy and snack food. Secondly I tried to sharpen some of the folders, but they will not hold an edge, because their made out of cheap stainless.
    Last edited by Adventure Wolf; 10-03-2014 at 01:29 AM.

Knifes....I get mostly free cos I do reviews for 3 local outdoor shops. I get to trash them and then keep them. Yep some "collectors" are like that.
    I have a Ontario SK 5 on the way to be reviewed..should get them next week.
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

I sense you are unhappy with the exchange. You had forgiven the debt so anything you received was above and beyond what you expected. Or was it? You probably need to give some thought as to how you really feel about the guy stiffing you on the loan. There are actually some "friends" in this world we'd be better off without.

I have a hard and fast rule that I've never broken. I never lend money to a friend and I lone tools to even fewer. Loaning money is the surest way to end a friendship.

Maybe you could take them to a flea market and sell them? Probably wouldn't be worth your time...?
    I would chalk it up to a life lesson learned.
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

Well it depends on how mch the loan wa..if its "forgetable"...then I hpe you would just let it slide and not waste time thinking about it. hate you losing sleep over it..yeah..might be some heartburn....If i decided to collect all my small soft loans, I would have been able to buy a BMW 328 cash...shucks!!!
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

If you loan to family and friends, you either count the money gone, or the friendship.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Have made many "loans" over the years.....and have never expected them to be paid back......so I would let that go.

I know how you feel with the knives.......sometimes it's better to not have them than to figure out what to do with them.
    Can't throw them away....or would be hard....but don't wish them on anyone.

Some stuff you can even leave on a bench somewhere and they will hunt you down to return it/them.

Put them in a drawer.....some day the answer will appear,...in the mean time don't worry about it.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Those are "truck knives".

You know,,,

the ones that wind up behind the seat or under the seat or in the bottom of the console or in the tool box of the truck.

Used for scraping putty, cutting wire or hoses, pounding on battery cable ends, sometimes, if the tip fits, for screwdrivers.

Their sole reason for existence is so you will not mess up your "good knife"!

I just traded cars and found 5-6 of them in the "good car", Lord knows how many I have in the Jeep!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

its like the knives are so junky they make you change your mind about forgiving your friend and actually ticked you off...lol. I'm laughing with you... not at you!
    Without counsel purposes are disappointed: but in the multitude of counsellers they are established.

s.pottscustomknives@gmail.com
    www.facebook.com/s.pottscustomknives
    http://s1248.beta.photobucket.com/us...llss7/library/

Quote Originally Posted by randallss7 View Post
    its like the knives are so junky they make you change your mind about forgiving your friend and actually ticked you off...lol. I'm laughing with you... not at you!
    I kinda am as well....if for no reason that you can't believe your friend has that bad of a taste in knives.....

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I kinda am as well....if for no reason that you can't believe your friend has that bad of a taste in knives.....
    If that collection contained at least one Harbor Freight Survival knife, the post would of gone in a completely different direction!
    Without counsel purposes are disappointed: but in the multitude of counsellers they are established.

s.pottscustomknives@gmail.com
    www.facebook.com/s.pottscustomknives
    http://s1248.beta.photobucket.com/us...llss7/library/

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I sense you are unhappy with the exchange. You had forgiven the debt so anything you received was above and beyond what you expected. Or was it? You probably need to give some thought as to how you really feel about the guy stiffing you on the loan. There are actually some "friends" in this world we'd be better off without.

I have a hard and fast rule that I've never broken. I never lend money to a friend and I lone tools to even fewer. Loaning money is the surest way to end a friendship.
    It's not that I am mad about the loan. I had written it off the moment I put money in his hands.

In a way its like loaning someone 200 dollars, and then them paying you back in dimes and pennies.

But that's not why I posted. I thought someone would find this collection as pitiful and funny as I did.
    Last edited by Adventure Wolf; 10-04-2014 at 06:46 PM.

Yeah, we did....and as Kyrat says ...truck knives.

You would be amazed at how many truck knives come in handy.......
    Used a old, old folding cheapo, kinda a knock off Barlow, to clean a deer after hitting it with the truck....many years ago....was in a tool box that had tools to keep the truck running....and wasn't into surviving, BOB or much of any thing....just making money and chasing girls...wasn't gonna let a deer go to waste.

.....and I understand about being paid off in change....$6 bucks is 600 pennies......and 10 weeks of non-paid for newspaper....another funny story form my youth......

Yeah we understand and are enjoying this with you....and we all have been there.

Yep. Truck knives. This way you can use them as pry bars, screw drivers, hammers, tent stakes, etc. Just make sure you have a good knife with you in case you need something sharp.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Cool Cool...

Quote Originally Posted by Tokwan View Post
    I have a Ontario SK 5 on the way to be reviewed..should get them next week.
    I recently purchased the Ontario Blackbird SK 5 and I love it!...
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

revised....
    Last edited by sjj; 08-16-2015 at 02:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    I recently purchased the Ontario Blackbird SK 5 and I love it!...
    '
    The knife arrived yesterday and from my initial few hours with it..its a darn good knife. I love the spear shaped blade and the blade is darn sharp. Makes feathering a stick simple.
    The micarta handle is awesome..very comfy...Will take it into the jungle next week.

The only way I buy those kind of knives is when I fly out light, only taking a carry on. When I get to where I'm going, I buy a convenient store $6 locking folder and a small Bic lighter just so i have something to carry. They both go in the trash when I fly out! For that purpose they are great!

I found myself in pretty much the EXACT same situation one time.... I took them to a flea market when I cleaned out my house and garage after my divorce (along with a variety of other items) The crappy useless knives sold out first.... I kinda expected to end up throwing them in the dumpster but was surprised at how fast they sold.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

A quest for knowledge is never complete.

The only easy day was yesterday.