Thread: awesome site

Default awesome site

Greetings and thank you for letting me join!

Well, as my login name suggests, I'm James, and I'm kind of crazy... not, crazy - "going to burn down your house because I don't like you" crazy, more like, normal people look at me like I'm crazy.

Here is how I stumbled into this site. There have been more and more raccoons in our hunting area. Normally, I don't shoot at something I don't intend to consume, so I've been some google searches on what to do with raccoons. One article I really enjoyed was brain tanning. "BRAIN TANNING!?" So, of course, for me to see the pictures, I had to be a member, so here I am. Did others know you could buy brains at the supermarket?? I didn't until I read that article. I promise to play well with others, and I won't be one of those folks that posts "tell me everything there is to know about survival (because I'm too lazy to research it myself)" kind of member.

OK, here is more about me... I recently became eligible for AARP, but I really don't feel that old. I'm an avid deer hunter, and from the months of October through December, you can find me in a treestand with an earpiece listening to Eli Gold calling the Crimson Tide football games on a portable radio. I also will hunt rabbit and squirrell, but only if I am confident enough to take enough to make a stew with. I've successfully hunted with rifle and shotgun, and while I have a compound bow, my archery experience is like this: Sit 30 feet up in a treestand and watch deer browse 50 to 60 yards from my stand. Those deer must attend a hunters safety course too, as they will walk out thirty minutes after sunset. Unlike many hunters, I know the difference between a mature deer and a cull deer. I would harvest a mature doe before I pull the trigger on a young 6 point any day, and have went an entire season without harvesting a single deer. I retired from the Marines (hence, the craziness), but since my pension is just below the poverty line, I work at a healthcare facility to make ends meet. When I was on active duty, one of my favorite past times was reloading ammo. It was a science that I really enjoyed, maybe because I understood that any miscalculations on my part could result in serious injury, death, or destruction of a firearm (can't mess up a gun now). I've recently took on the challenge of reloading shotshells. I haven't started working up any loads yet, but I'm hoping that it isn't as complicated as it appears (because of the variables in the components).

I guess it's important that I mention that my wife and I have 2 tax deductions; the youngest of whom is fully involved in Cub Scouts so he can learn how to shoot bows and arrows while riding his bike (I don't know where he got that idea), and my oldest one is hoping to attend college after she graduates. While I'd like to think that my experience in the wilderness is somewhere between Daniel Boone and Jerimiah Johnson living off of the land for years on end, the reality is I could survive for atleast a week if I were abducted by aliens and dropped into the middle of nowhere.

One day I'd like to raise rabbits for meat and fur, and once I find a breed that can tolerate the heat and humidity of the South, I'll get moving on it.

Geeze, now that I'm looking at the just the topics for my intro, I'm learning that I'm not as prepared... knife making... I need to get my butt in gear. I've never considered myself a "prepper", but I've always figured that when the economy collapses (and yes, one day it will) I would find my niche with hunting and firearms to keep my family going.

I think my Learning Objectives will start with reading the message boards.
    James

Mission of the Marine Rifle Squad------ To locate, close with, and destroy the enemy, by fire and maneuver, or repel the enemy assault by fire and close combat.

Hello and welcome. Thank you for your service from an old retired Bubblehead.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Welcome home and thank you for your service.

Hunter63, saying Hey and Welcome....
    Thank you for your service.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Welcome from Malaysia
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Well that is a good intro James.

It is my understanding that each animal comes with just enough brains to tan it's hide. I must be a genuis. Because my mother tanned my hide on many occasions and I still had JUST enough brains left to get it tanned again!

Welcome aboard.

Welcome James from a former jarhead from GA!
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

Osiyo Jame, Thank you for your service and welcome from NE Arkansas.
    Awanita from the wild patato clan of the Tsalagi/Cherokee. "When the time comes, know how to only be seen when wanted to be seen".