Thread: on bow making

Default on bow making

darn,darn,darn i just snapped my prototype bow
    mabey cause the wood is sixty years old oak and no moister, hmmm
    any how out to the yard later to get a fresh piece of norway maple and see what that does
    it,s only for a wall hanging bow. ill dress it up in traditional fashion.
    with a quiver and some arrows. i so new at this but with time and practice i.ll get better god willing.

Sorry to hear that. And it does sound like the lack of moisture was the culprit.
    Keep your chin up, and learn from your mistakes!
    *I've learned a lot in this fashion*
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

thanks mr fixit in retrospect i believe the linbs were still to thick and was probably
    the reason it snapped.i still have to go out back and cut me a few pieces of maple
    to work on and see how that goes. i already got my arrow shafts thier cedar port orford
    i believe 5,1/6x 29in. oh can i use ash for a pony bow?

Wood and metal know what they want to be. They don't respond well when we try to make them something else. I've "ruined" a lot of wood that wound up being something other than I originally intended it to be. As they say, if you ain't breakin' 'em you ain't makin' 'em.

I don't make bows, but admire people that do. I remember on bowyer here (FVR I think) posting "If you ain't breaking em, you ain't making em". That holds true in a lot of "hobbies". Learn from it and move on. Good on you for giving it a shot and staying with it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

What kind of bows you people make? My father in law makes longbows, very powerful pieces, but very large and time demanding. Also, what kind of woods did you use?

I suppose depending on the look or style you are going for, try backing it with something. Backed bows tend to take a lot more than unbacked and are more forgiving to those of us who arent overly experienced bowyers.
    I've only made a few, but I have backed them all with something. The latest is a red oak board bow that I backed with black cotton. So far so good.

BTW waterproof glues like titebond III are recommended.