Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Altoids Can Emergency Survival Tin

Quote Originally Posted by Farley View Post
    I currently carry an altoids tin but do like the bottle idea for waterproofing ability. Though Im not sure what I have in there that needs to be kept dry.
    I like being able to open it and see everything as opposed to shoving everything through a small hole and having to shake everything out and risk jamming it up.

I just finished a new Altoids tin pouch last night, so I guess I have to use it for a while just to show off my handy work!

Attachment 10350

Nice work, I like it.......heck I would even consider carrying a tin kit in that case.
    If you mass produce those, just think about the market you would have.

Rep sent
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

That's is pretty cool. Very nice job!

Thanks guys, and thanks Hunter63 for the rep.

I dont know about mass production but would be more than happy to make them if people were interested.

Just remembered,

I got myself a SOG Twitch II the other day. So far so good, I really like it and it fits in an Altoids tin as well.

Nice Leatherwork! I love the pouch!

I used to work at an injection molding factory years ago. I had a lot of the bottle pre-forms at the time.
    Now I can find a single one. Ended up giving away a bunch, and the rest just got lost over time...
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post

May I suggest you test that? I've seen tests between mirrors and CDs back when using CDs were all the rage for signalling and they failed miserably beside mirrors. If you really, really needed to visually signal someone for your survival wouldn't you want the best method available? Survival mirrors are pretty cheap insurance.

The pouch that carries my cell phone has two backup batteries in it.
    I polished mine and it could be seen from several hundred yards on a nice bright day... however, once polished you can not protect the metal with anything as it will dull the finish. Thus your "mirror" can rust if you are not careful. I have a couple fist surface mirrors.. talk about a signaling mirror.

I much prefer a Starflash Signal Mirror. It has been seen from over 100 miles away.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I much prefer a Starflash Signal Mirror. It has been seen from over 100 miles away.
    LOL Were they signaling the Space Station?

May I suggest you test that? I've seen tests between mirrors and CDs back when using CDs were all the rage for signalling and they failed miserably beside mirrors. If you really, really needed to visually signal someone for your survival wouldn't you want the best method available? Survival mirrors are pretty cheap insurance.

The pouch that carries my cell phone has two backup batteries in it.
    Hey Rick,

I had recently dismantled some old disk drives. This platters seem like they might work well for signaling, but I haven't tried. Have you tried?

Sent from my Galaxy S5.
    Using Tapatalk

No I haven't. I see no reason to risk my life to odd things when there are items made specifically for a given job. If you don't have an item than you use whatever you can find or make. But signalling help is too important to rely on home made stuff. You can make your own whistle in the woods but there are better commercial whistles available. I see mirrors in that same frame of mind.

I guess I wouldn't carry around an old disk drive either....
    Have couple Walmart Couglans mirrors......only used them to look at myself...so far.
    http://www.wayfair.com/Coghlans-Feat...FQyMaQodaZQAQw

Actually, that's a good point, Hunter. I've never had to use a signal mirror for survival but I've sure used it a ton for things like shaving and seeing those places where your eyes can't look.

Actually, that's a good point, Hunter. I've never had to use a signal mirror for survival but I've sure used it a ton for things like shaving and seeing those places where your eyes can't look.
    Called tick control.

My luck would be, ...get lost, signal a plane, pizzes off the pilot for shining in his eyes....they send out the Rangers, Homeland, FBI, NCIS question me as a possible terrorist, find out I'm not....then they leave me there....still lost.
    So ...Never mind....
    Tick control.