Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Altoids Can Emergency Survival Tin

Default Altoids Can Emergency Survival Tin

Something I've been meaning to do for a while but never came to think bout it much is making a small survival tin. Something to keep on my pocket of in my vest on hiking, kayaking, hunting or fishing trips away from people. I polished the underside for signaling. The interior I have bandages (normal and small), antibiotic cream, alcohol wipes for first aid and fire starting, a BIC lighter (even if wet creates spark and I've often found if dried out will still make flame) tweezers, small knife and small fishing kit. I was going to put some 550 cord with it but seeing as I always have my Paracord bracket on and a Paracord pace counter on my vest. Any items I could maybe add?? image.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by xjosh40x; 09-27-2014 at 10:22 AM.

xjosh, have you ever heard or seen the condor ma21 ibelieve utility pouch it,s
    4,1/2in widex 7intall see @condor outdoor products.com or the opsdeck.com or airsoftgi.com
    it is a awesome little pouch for edc and ifak and so much more i have 4 of em. they sell for about
    12,00dollars come in od,coyote.acu and black i believe. 2 i have are surgical kits,1,is a ifak,1,a edc.
    gosh i wich i could posts photos arrrrrrgh.
    Last edited by hayshaker; 09-27-2014 at 10:31 AM.

That is pretty cool. I have a few pouches similar to that the Army issued but I don't like the ACU pattern. Don't think anyone really does. I'll look into gettin one. I'll be able to hold more. This was just something cool I wanted and since I had the time and it crossed my mind, it happened. Never the less it can always go in my tool box or tackle box.

one thing i do like about the altoids box i ha a few also in my vest pocket you can put them any where
    and do make a cool lil,survival tin.

Put a spare battery for your cell phone in one and carry it "just in case".
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by xjosh
    I polished the underside for signaling.

May I suggest you test that? I've seen tests between mirrors and CDs back when using CDs were all the rage for signalling and they failed miserably beside mirrors. If you really, really needed to visually signal someone for your survival wouldn't you want the best method available? Survival mirrors are pretty cheap insurance.

The pouch that carries my cell phone has two backup batteries in it.

As I use an iPhone a backup battery can't be used although I carry two battery packs one is solar powered. An I did polish the tin with some fine sandpaper and I tested it. Blinded me pretty good although alongside a mirror a mirror would work better but it did fairly well. I just like to maximize the capabilities of everything I do.

How about maybe a compass ?
    Or maybe like another way to start fire .
    Water purification tablets
    A plastic bag

Just a few ideas Look up some videos on youtube about it . IT HELPS A LOT !

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron_May27 View Post
    How about maybe a compass ?
    Or maybe like another way to start fire .
    Water purification tablets
    A plastic bag

Just a few ideas Look up some videos on youtube about it . IT HELPS A LOT !
    Cameron.....the people that made a lot of those vids are on this forum........

I can't recall if I've posted about this before on this forum. If I have, apologies for the re-run.

An alternative to the Altoids tin is the "baby soda bottle." These (available online) are the injected molded blanks that are eventually blow molded into 2 liter soda bottles. These little tubes are VERY tough, and with the lid screwed on they are essentially water proof.

I wrapped mine with paracord, jute twine (tinder), and duct tape. I also affixed a small LED flashlight to the outside and added a few rubber bands.

Inside I put: Fish hooks and flies; Spider Wire fishing line (wound on one of my wife's sewing machine bobbins); a P-38 can opener; a button compass; a ferrocerium rod; a Vaseline-cotton ball (in a pill-size ziplock bag); a mini razor knife; and, a mini saw.

For whatever it may be worth to the conversation, here are a few pics:

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.Cargo Pocket Kit 03 by tjwilhelm148149, on Flickr

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.Cargo Pocket Kit 02 by tjwilhelm148149, on Flickr

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.Cargo Pocket Kit 01 by tjwilhelm148149, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by tjwilhelm View Post
    I can't recall if I've posted about this before on this forum. If I have, apologies for the re-run.

An alternative to the Altoids tin is the "baby soda bottle." These (available online) are the injected molded blanks that are eventually blow molded into 2 liter soda bottles. These little tubes are VERY tough, and with the lid screwed on they are essentially water proof.

I wrapped mine with paracord, jute twine (tinder), and duct tape. I also affixed a small LED flashlight to the outside and added a few rubber bands.

Inside I put: Fish hooks and flies; Spider Wire fishing line (wound on one of my wife's sewing machine bobbins); a P-38 can opener; a button compass; a ferrocerium rod; a Vaseline-cotton ball (in a pill-size ziplock bag); a mini razor knife; and, a mini saw.

For whatever it may be worth to the conversation, here are a few pics:

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.Cargo Pocket Kit 03 by tjwilhelm148149, on Flickr

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.Cargo Pocket Kit 02 by tjwilhelm148149, on Flickr

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.Cargo Pocket Kit 01 by tjwilhelm148149, on Flickr
    I like it......and should be water proof?

Yup...water proof.

I have a bottle like TJ and they are tough. In mine I have a knife, fatwood pieces, waxed jute, ferro-rod, fishing line, weights, hooks, and a button compass. I don't have anything outside of the bottle.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

That's what I don't like about Altoids tins, not water proof, spring open..."yeah, yeah, gotta put ranger bands on it"....doesn't hold much.

Like the bottle a lot better.

Pretty clever. I remember seeing those bottle blanks somewhere at some time but had forgotten about them. Good stuff!

Guy was selling them for a buck a piece at a gun show here a couple of years ago....haven't seen them lately.
    I like them as they are narrower than say a pill bottle, and a lot more sturdy....covers don't open or come off.

I can see that Altiods tins being popular as it a fixed size.....and the challenge being to fit a 747 in one.....LOL...or as much stuff as you can.

I like it TJ - well done.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

The bottle is a great idea. I ha one a while back but wasn't nearly as setup as yours. I unfortunately lost it kayaking.

Nice alternative. I'll stick with my ALTOIDS TIN because I can cook up some char material if I need to.

DomC

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk
    "There are only 2 classes of ships in the Navy...Submarines and Targets!" RM2(SS)
    "A knifeless man is a lifeless man"...Nordic proverb.
    "No man's knowledge can go beyond his experience." John Locke.
    "Survival is about getting out of the wilderness ALIVE, Bushcraft is about getting into the wilderness and THRIVING."

I currently carry an altoids tin but do like the bottle idea for waterproofing ability. Though Im not sure what I have in there that needs to be kept dry.
    I like being able to open it and see everything as opposed to shoving everything through a small hole and having to shake everything out and risk jamming it up.

I just finished a new Altoids tin pouch last night, so I guess I have to use it for a while just to show off my handy work!

20141026_105859.jpg