Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I need a camp site

Default I need a camp site

hello i have been looking all over the internet to see if there are any websites that give me campsites that will allow me to go out into the wild with nothing but a knife and a few more tools and survive for about a week or two. i have loved camping since i was little and i use to be in the boyscouts which just made my liking for camping and survival grow more but as the older boys left and we were only left with the younger ones the campings took place less outdoors and more neer civilisation. so now that i am older i would like to test what i learned from my years in scouting and go out into the wild for about two weeks and see how far i make it with just some minimal resources. so here is where the title comes in i am in need of a camp ground that will have me away from civilisation and allow me to hunt animals in the wild. my biggest problem is that no matter where i search there seem to be no places like this neer Florida so if someone could recommend something similar to the camp site i want it would be very much appreciated.

Everything you propose to do is illegal.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

You can camp on BLM land for up to 14 days. You'll need to verify that with the site you choose but that's generally the accepted time. To hunt animals you will need animal specific licenses and/or stamps and you will need to kill them in a legal manner. Why not start with some car camping and see how that goes? Why start with something so extreme?

Quote Originally Posted by mouse64 View Post
    so now that i am older i would like to test what i learned from my years in scouting and go out into the wild for about two weeks and see how far i make it with just some minimal resources.
    How much older? You seem naive. You can't just go and hunt game without a hunting permit like the pioneers did during the 1800s. How many primitive fires have you made? Can you make cordage? Can you find and purify drinking water? Can you build a shelter? Can you forage for food?

Brother this is 2014 the only way you're gonna get what you want is to ask permission of a landowner with lots of acreage. Why don't you try out for "Naked and Afraid" and see if you last for three weeks...
    Tell us more about yourself and experience. Dude you're screwed if you have not practiced the skills it takes to last in the wilderness with only a knife...

Perhaps another "drive by"...
    DomC

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DomC; 09-27-2014 at 08:04 AM.
    "There are only 2 classes of ships in the Navy...Submarines and Targets!" RM2(SS)
    "A knifeless man is a lifeless man"...Nordic proverb.
    "No man's knowledge can go beyond his experience." John Locke.
    "Survival is about getting out of the wilderness ALIVE, Bushcraft is about getting into the wilderness and THRIVING."

Yes, train yourself and practice. What if your get to your site and there isn't any game. Learn wild edibles in your area. Learn snares and deadfalls. Take a little more than a knife. Bring a hatchet, cordage, flint and steel, clothing. You can make a bow drill a hundred time in the yard but at that time you need it it may not have luck or it could rain. As far as a site, you may be able to use a WMA. Here is MS you can stay at site for up to 30 days as long as you pay the fee which here is 7 bucks a week I think. I thought the same thing you did once. I did a 48 hour survival trip so I jumped into a week once and turned out pretty miserable because I wasn't truly prepared to run into problems.

I know of quite a few places that will allow you to camp for two weeks in Florida. Most, allow you to camp for free after you purchase a wildlife management permit. You need that to legally hunt anyway most public land anyway.

I would go during small game. The dates very from WMA to WMA. But, generally fall in the more mild weather for most of the state. Most places I have gone prohibit trapping or require a separate permit.

Even though you'll be legal on small game. You'll probably find you see a lot of legal game at night when it won't usually be legal to take them. Fishing and frogging are usually allowed year round and at anytime of day. Fishing is usually good in most of the WMAs I go to.

I would build up my comfort level. Overnight primitive camping next to a car or in a group. Then weekend, then long weekend. Once you have your comfort down you can do some back pack camping.

You do not need to abandon safety to test skills. I can make a primitive fire without using a lighter and still have my lighter in my pocket just in case. Because, trying to survive to weeks would not be a challenge to you if it didn't have risk. It could mean you give up and go home early or need rescue or it could mean you try and fail to survive.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I was waiting for Batch to reply, since he lives in FL, gets out of the house and does things.

Others do too, but Batch and Crash show pictures!

I have to agree with Batch's common sense advice and approach too. Go out, find a place, park the car and stay next to it while you pretend it is not there for a weekend. Practice all the skills you feel you will need and camp for a few weekends before you walk off into the woods for 2 weeks.

As for not having a place in FL ???

FL is one of the places where hunters and fishermen got to negotiate the use of their wild areas before they were turned into National Parks, so you have many thousands of acres where you can do your primitive camping while pursuing game. You simply have to check the rules for the individual National wilderness areas, National parks and National forests and coordinate those rules with legal hunting seasons.

These areas are set aside for just this purpose. The legal issues everyone is worried about really involve trying to enter a protected area and LIVE THERE, illegally build permanent shelters and hunt year around.

We are not discussing a ROTTW situation this time. We are considering a two week primitive camping trip with the full intent to return home at the end of the vacation. Almost every state has an area where the two week expedition is both legal and possible.

I am just too far from FL to know where they are down there.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Not going to recommend you do this.
    You obviously have not done the necessary research.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

There are places in Florida that allow primitive camping but most of the time there will be others there too. It's very rare that you'll find yourself alone in those campsites. My son and I camped in such a place and we had the place to ourselves for two days and nights on 11/11/11. We had a blast. The other stipulation was that we were not allowed to gather firewood and we had to pack our own firewood...which we ran out by the next day. That first night was a colder night than we had anticipated and the fire was lit the entire night so the fire wood was almost depleted. We "stealth foraged " some wood to survive the next night which thankfully was warmer. But then again we had enough supplies to last a week out there lol. Between my son and I we had 3 Or 4 knives each, a SAW and hatchet...

DomC

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk
    "There are only 2 classes of ships in the Navy...Submarines and Targets!" RM2(SS)
    "A knifeless man is a lifeless man"...Nordic proverb.
    "No man's knowledge can go beyond his experience." John Locke.
    "Survival is about getting out of the wilderness ALIVE, Bushcraft is about getting into the wilderness and THRIVING."

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Not everyone is a web surfing wizard.

Sometimes finding the place one is searching for is as simple, or as complicated, as changing the focus of the search.

The term the government uses for this activity is "Dispersed Wilderness Camping". As in camping outside the designated campground areas. Yes, they know about it and approve it under certain conditions. Not all the members of our community seem to know that.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/20...itive-camping/

http://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/ocal...32295&actid=34
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 09-27-2014 at 03:30 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Dispersed camping is abundant in Florida. The more difficult it is to get to the area, the less likely you are to see other people.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I know about the NPS policy in some of its parks.
    If someone can't type "Primitive Camping Florida" into their web browser and get results, it's kinda hard to believe they can actually figure out how to survive with just a knife. Not wanting to contribute to the possible demise of young person who doesn't bother to introduce themselves first.
    The part about hunting and living off the land... even the NPS and State Parks frown on that part without the proper permits and weaponry.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

We have a WMA near me, 7,000 acres of land for me to occupy.. Plenty of opportunity to camp and practice not dieing.

Maybe there is one near you to enjoy also?
    http://myfwc.com/hunting/wma-brochures

You can get your parents to drive you out there...

What the heck...It's only two weeks, .....Right?.....just have your mom drop ya off and pick you up in two weeks.....you will be fine.

All you need is the knife.....and don't worry about hunting and fishing out of season....you won't catch or kill anything anyway.
    And if you do the DNR will give you a ride back to town, and the holding area....Maybe free WiFi?

Then when you get back....drop us a line in your second post and let up know how it went.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

DomC,

I camp year round in South Florida and during the summer it is very rare to run into anyone other than improved grades. We have our choice of designated sites. The designated sites I camp in are what most would call primitive. No designated fire ring or water or electric or anything other than what you brought.

Dispersed camping is different and you can definitely go days and during certain times of the year weeks without seeing anyone just riding around. Most of the places I go are very large areas with connected WMA's that put them all into close to 100,000 acres or in the glades and Big Cypress millions of acres.

Oh, snap. See? That needs to be on the list. I don't want to be blowin' on my whistle for help while some dinosaur is chompin' on me only to find there's no one around. Definitely on the list.

Blog Entries

Cool Unfortunately...

...I must excuse myself from this discussion; my doctor has put me on a "Troll-free" diet....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Now THAT is funny..........
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

First and foremost...You will need to introduce yourself and tell us who you are, what kind of experience and background you have. For all we know, you could be a 13 year old kid or a 33 year old man. We need to know that.
    Please do not expect anyone here to tell you how you can get yourself in trouble unless you are expert at outdoor surviving. In order to be able to advise you, we need to know who and what you are.
    Once we know, then will give you the advise.

Yep..anyone can give you an advise, and going out and survivive the outdoors with just a knife and some ropes sounds cool...and before I go on..please introduce yourself. I think the admins overlooked this.
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Try Ocala National Forest. During hunting seasons you have to camp in designated areas thou. The small game season might be a good bet if you wanted red meat. There should not be many camping for that. What I have done is hiked portions of the Florida Trail that runs thru the Forest for about 70 miles, and for 3-4 days fished the ponds and lakes and camped back off the trail. Very few times did I ever run into other hikers. I was not living off the land as you want to but caught plenty of bass and brim on a fly rod. Maps can be had at the Ocala National Forest office in Umatilla or the Florida Trail Association. Things to look out for are Bears, Gators, Snakes, Snakes, & Snakes. Good luck.
    Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.