Thread: Ever heard of sugardine?

Default Ever heard of sugardine?

I didn't know this, but mixing plain sugar with betadine makes a very good pack for deep cuts and gunshot wounds. Guess you never stop learning ay!
    I found this on another site and wanted to share it with you guys!

http://greatlakesurvival.blogspot.com/

In the event that you cannot get antibiotics . . . you might consider having the items to make "Sugardine" on hand. Read below, this excellent knowledge to have.

Reposted from Survivalblog.com : http://www.survivalblog.com/2013/06/...treatment.html

"I'm sure you've heard of this--but on the off chance you haven't, you definitely need to: The miraculous wound-healing benefits of a goop made from sugar and betadine (povidone iodine--available cheaply everywhere). You mix together and make a paste, which can be packed into deep wounds and gouges. Some people refer to it as "sugardine."
    Not everyone knows that sugar alone has been used for hundreds of years as an effective gunshot wound treatment. The high osmotic gradient it promotes attracts and traps bacteria--and animal cells are better able to withstand high osmotic conditions than bacterial cells. The addition of the povidone iodine makes it even more effective.
    There are countless stories of near miraculous saves of horses with bad wounds that wouldn't heal, using this paste. I've used it to great effect on myself and on my dogs--sometimes with deep canine puncture wounds.
    Ideally, it should be packed in and covered, and rinsed out and replaced everyday. But any application, under any circumstances, is a lot better than nothing. Granulated (or powdered) sugar and lots of povidone iodine are very valuable additions to prepper medical stores, in my opinion.
    Here are a few medical journal articles on the topic:

•Use of sugar and povidone-iodine to enhance wound healing: five year's experience.
    •Mixture of sugar and povidone-iodine stimulates healing of MRSA-infected skin ulcers on db/db mice.
    •Mixture of sugar and povidone--iodine stimulates wound healing by activating keratinocytes and fibroblast functions

Had never heard of that....thanks for posting.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Well I am going to get a small bottle of Betadine just in case, it really does sound like a very handy remedy!

I have used regular table sugar and glceryin to make a paste and apply to wounds not bleeding but not healing, really speeds the healing process along, i just cover the wound with the paste/poultice and bandage change once a day.
    Semper Paratus

I believe it got its start in veterinary medicine. It is good stuff to know.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

better than sugar is honey. The enzymes and it's hygroscopic properties will kill bacteria, while the inverted sugars will allow nearby tissues ready energy for healing. I know honey is not truly "native" medicine, but it is all-natural.

Sugardine has been around for quite a while. It's interesting how it actually works. Bacteria feed on sugars. By mixing the Betadine (or any antibiotic) with sugar the bacteria consume the antibiotic. Bacteria are pretty smart in their own right. When surrounding bacteria begin to die some bacteria will shut down and go into a dormant state only to begin growing again days or weeks later. Those guys are called persisters. That's basically how bacteria develop drug tolerance and that's why wounds don't want to heal. They keep getting "infect" over and over. It's actually the persisters coming out of their dormant state. Adding the sugar tricks the persisters to continue feeding, ingesting the Betadine, which kills even them. Studies have been done in the last five years or so that suggest adding sugar to standard antibiotics improves the recovery rate of MRSA and other drug tolerant bacteria.

Now you know why a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wish I'd have known when I had MRSA...

I carry it with me in the back country and have used it on many occasions. Works exceedingly well. Easy to make, light to carry.