Thread: Primitive Native American weapons /Blowgun

The Blow gun was used by many Native American tribes, and very popular within the Creek and Cherokee people. It was used to hunt small game such as rabbit, bird and squirrelThey are made from river cane about 6 to 8 ft long and use darts made from thorn tree or fasshioned straighted limbs. The fleching is made from the Russian Thistle fiber on top of the flower. Because river cane is a jointed plant a coal is dropped in to burn through to the next joint. It is a very interesting tool. Mine I made I built a quiver onto mine as a hand grip hold a dozen or so darts. I use bamboo skewers for my dart shafts. blow gun jeff.jpgblow gun jeff 2.jpg
    Last edited by Awanita; 09-26-2014 at 09:15 AM.
    Awanita from the wild patato clan of the Tsalagi/Cherokee. "When the time comes, know how to only be seen when wanted to be seen".

My wife and I went to the living museum in Cherokee several years back.
    I was amazed at the accuracy of these blowguns.
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

Yes they are.
    Awanita from the wild patato clan of the Tsalagi/Cherokee. "When the time comes, know how to only be seen when wanted to be seen".

Blow guns were native to North America?.....I did not know that.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

oh yes hunter very popular in the Cherokee and Creek Nations used for killing smaller game. They are made from river cane about 6 to 8 ft long and use darts made from thorn tree or fasshioned straighted limbs. The fleching is made from the Russian Thistle fiber on top of the flower. Because river cane is a jointed plant a coal is dropped in to burn through to the next joint. It is a very interesting tool. Mine I made I built a quiver onto mine as a hand grip hold a dozen or so darts. I use bamboo skewers for my dart shafts.

I cheat I use a Cold Steel 50 bore, seconds as a walking staff, nice to take with during hikes, never know when oppotunity knocks.
    Semper Paratus

will these blow dart guns take a squirrel or rabbit? and what are the dart shafts made of?

I'm sure they all will my Cold Steel will for sure, darts I use are minature broad head or bamboo. Nice to take in the woods when deer hunting seems like squirrels are always coming in close and pestering me. You can practice without spooking deer and perhaps bring home a nice snack even if you don;t get a deer.
    Semper Paratus

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have been cheating and using barbecue skewers for the shafts, but the fletching I use real thistle down. I have pictures and plan on doing an build-along including a video by Bo Brown of Bois de Arc, where I learned it.

As a teenager I used a 5' piece of 1/2" PVC pipe and 8d nails with duct tape fletching.
    Not "native" but I did bag a few squirrels and rabbits with it!
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

The "orang asli" or Malaysian Aborigines from the Sakai, Jakun, Senoi and many other tribes are pros with the blow pippes. Theirs are between 7 to 9 feet...the darts are usually bamboo and they put the Ipoh Tree poison on the dart tips which would break off when it hits the prey...Very very accurate darters these guys are. I know a few of them and they would teach me tracking some time...
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Graf that is a great idea. Wado.

Quote Originally Posted by Graf View Post
    I'm sure they all will my Cold Steel will for sure, darts I use are minature broad head or bamboo. Nice to take in the woods when deer hunting seems like squirrels are always coming in close and pestering me. You can practice without spooking deer and perhaps bring home a nice snack even if you don;t get a deer.
    That is why I bow hunt....
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!