Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Survival bait

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I found this site that has instructions for making the fish stunning electrical system from a 12V electric fence charger.

This is illegal in my area but if one were in a survival situation and the materials were available it is good knowledge to have.

I know that many hunting/fishing guides out west use portable electric fencing to contain the pack horses, so having the makings is not far fetched as it sounds.

http://www.amazing1.com/content/down...ISH90INSTR.pdf
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I am very against this as it kills all the smaller fish.
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

tokwan - It's illegal just about everywhere in the US. You could reduce a lake to simply algae and shelled fish in no time if it weren't.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokwan View Post
    I am very against this as it kills all the smaller fish.
    When you are saying "Tactical".....I gonna guess we aren't worried about legalities or saving the planet.......we wanna eat.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Then there's also the burlap bag with walnuts method.

Got a lot of black walnuts around here.

Nothing like a rainy night in the woods this time of year. You could get knocked unconscious!

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    When you are saying "Tactical".....I gonna guess we aren't worried about legalities or saving the planet.......we wanna eat.
    Yep, but then, we gotta eat for a long time and we should always find a way so that nature can provide us food for a long time or maybe infinity. If we kill everything in one shot...then we will eat once.
    I am also worried about when people decided to practice and then in them practice runs,...did more damage. I would rather people practice how to catch fish in a better way...and at the same time allow nature to recover so that she can continuously provide us for a long long time.
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

(pssssst, I playing devils advocate here)

I taking "tactical" as success/win/eat now..... worry about tomorrow later.
    Now if was camping, or living, or even surviving......???

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Nothing like a rainy night in the woods this time of year. You could get knocked unconscious!
    I had not much experience and was standing under a tree in Bainbridge and a couple them bad boys came down near. Are you freakin kidding me!

I'll take my chances with the gators. Y'all can keep your murderous trees.

Did you put them on a list Rick?

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    (pssssst, I playing devils advocate here)

I taking "tactical" as success/win/eat now..... worry about tomorrow later.
    Now if was camping, or living, or even surviving......???
    Okay..since you 're gonna be the devil..let me be the Ghost Rider...hahahaha...looks like a new addition to Hunter's survival kit is gonna be a battery and wires...hahahahahaa..but still as we depend on nature, we should also be taking care of it..cos survival is not only for a day...it should be for the days to come. If we are talking for just one day, no point in stocking food for winter or no point to have a survival kit when we are lost, it would be better to carry a couple burgers or just some food for the one day to survive...still I would like to press that in survival, one of the things we should do is to ensure we survive continuously...until whatever predicament we are facing is over. Things like poisoning the streams ( in Malaysia some people are using the Tuba root), electrocuting the fishes or even "bombing" the fishes...(yes they do this in Malaysia ) are now illegal and they can be arrested. It is so hard and tough to keep the waterways and lakes clan, let alone ensuring the marine life flourishes to enable our survival.

You are correct of course......But sometimes I think we ( a general WE) do a lot of things for the here and now.....with little thought about tomorrow, in the name of survival....like survival makes it OK.

All that stuff is illegal as it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I found this site that has instructions for making the fish stunning electrical system from a 12V electric fence charger.

This is illegal in my area but if one were in a survival situation and the materials were available it is good knowledge to have.

I know that many hunting/fishing guides out west use portable electric fencing to contain the pack horses, so having the makings is not far fetched as it sounds.

http://www.amazing1.com/content/down...ISH90INSTR.pdf

Probably not the same rig. But, they used to make up a rig that IIRC was made from military phones or radios. They made a package that would fit in a ammo can and they could chuck the whole thing over board and not worry about it. Up until the 1990's it was not illegal to run from the FWC and lots did.

Anyway, they called that monkey fishing down here. There is a book called "Backcountry Lawman: True Stories from a Florida Game Warden (Florida History and Culture)" by Bob H. Lee. And that seemed to be the main thing about the book and catching monkey fishers. He did go into how he outsmarted other poachers.

Here is a video with the author and his favorite quarry. Now best friends.

But, these are just plain Florida crackers. The everglades from top in the Kissimmee chain all the way down to the Cape Sable and beyond has been tough country. Loaded with outlaws that made the wild west look timid and tame. Some great books written by Tom Shirley and Glen Simmons and Totch Brown. There are some good stories about a great time to grow up in the glades.

I for one practice the following when I camp and also try out new ideas and practice my survival skills...
    1. Try not to cut any branches or damage any trees. I would use bamboo mostly as bamboo has a faster growing rate and they recover quickly. The bamboo pieces are individual and do not all the bamboo from one stump.
    2. If you need wood, use the ones on the ground or dead branches for firewood, and if you really need to cut of a branch..and you need a few, take only one branch from one tree and the others from other trees..this will help the tree to grow bigger and stronger.
    3. When I hunt..I limit my self to only jungle fowls and porcupine (because the population is greater) and I only shoot 1 or 2 of them. I do not need to stock for winter as we have no winter.
    4. When I fish in the streams..its usually carps and I only fish 2 to 3 fish..adequate for my lunch and dinner. This is only if I am out of food. Usually I bring my own food.
    5. I make sure I take out whatever I bring int the forest leaving only my footprints and my human waste which are buried and t must at least 100 metres from a stream or water source.
    I live by this strictly as I love the forest, and I dread if its taken away from me.
    I have camped on someone's land a few times and they know me. They do not mind as when I leave, they said the place looks much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    Probably not the same rig. But, they used to make up a rig that IIRC was made from military phones or radios. They made a package that would fit in a ammo can and they could chuck the whole thing over board and not worry about it.
    I saw (and participated) as a child in "phoning" fish.
    You're right Batch, we used a TA-312 military field phone. Throw the leads out in a slow moving sandy bottom creek and crank away.
    We would stand out in the water with dip nets and catch the stunned fish. Any that were too small were released. (they would wake up after a few minutes and swim away).
    I didn't know it was illegal till I was @ 16 years of age, when the game warden walked up on us "phoning".
    He made us put back all the fish, confiscated out "phone", and told us if he caught us again, we would go to jail.
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

Down here it never really mattered. You could catch all the fish you wanted to eat fairly easy. And commercial fishing was netting or long lining for the most part.