Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: River cane arrows

It' a pirouge I made from some northern white cedar boards.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

i like the information presented by the thread. i also have a small amount of information that may help when using bamboo or river cane making thing's. if you take a small drill bit in a hand held handle and drill small hole into each joint at the separation point for each joint making sure to get the pithy stuff inside away from the hole so it will breathe and go just 1/4th inch so you will hit hollow in the cane at each joint if you allow them to dry it will dry very straight stood in a corner. little to no splitting of the cane at all occurs it has worked very well for me and i get pretty good results. if wished you can put a drop of wood glue at each hole to seal it after it has dried completely . if you are growing bamboo or river cane and you wish to control spread dig a trench then salt the trench with rocksalt anywhere you wish the bounds to be. this cauterizes the nodes and keeps the terms of spread very well. hope this help's tom
    Last edited by suthincomfort; 12-13-2014 at 08:19 PM.

Been using port Orford cedar for years, but haven't used river cane arrows. I have heard of it, but we don't have them in my area. I'll have to find somewhere that has them near me. Just curious, have you used a spine tester on these? What wheight bow are you shooting these from? I use a 1962 bear kodiak magnum type 2 prototype, but I'm planning on making a self bow and these would be great with one. Where is river cane generally found?

Quote Originally Posted by Tradionalist
    Where is river cane generally found?

Um....rivers?

Actually, it's native from New Jersey to Florida and west to Ohio and Texas.

What is the latin name for what you guys are calling "River Cane"?

Not sure about the Latin name, but it is in the same family as Bamboo.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I got this info below from wikipaedia.

I've used Typha stalks with hardwood foreshafts for arrow shafts, Callicoma Serratifolia shafts, cedar shafts and I also use Bamboo shafts (from Bhutan), but "River Cane" is new to me. They sound like they are a great source of primitive shafts.

Arundinaria, commonly known as the canes, is the genus of bamboo in the grass family.[1][2]
    The question of which bamboo species should be included in Arundinaria has been debated for many years. Some authors maintain that only the North American species should be included, while others include Asian species otherwise considered members of other genera (Bashania, Oligostachyum, Sarocalamus, Fargesia, Sasa, etc.).
    Either way, Arundinaria is the only temperate bamboo in North America.[3][4] The genus is native to the eastern United States from New Jersey south to Florida and west to Ohio and Texas. Within this region they are found from the Coastal Plain to medium elevations in the Appalachian Mountains. Its members have running rhizomes and are woody and tree-like, attaining heights from 0.5 up to 8 metres (1.5 to 26 feet). They produce seeds only rarely and usually reproduce vegetatively, forming large genets. When seed production does occur, the colony usually dies afterwards. Among the distinctive features of the canes is a fan-like cluster of leaves at the top of new stems called a top knot.[5][6]
    The genus Arundinaria has a complex taxonomic history spanning over two centuries. The canes of the southeastern U.S. were originally described as two species of reed grasses in the genus Arundo by Thomas Walter in 1788. André Michaux, working in 1803 and unaware of Walter's work, correctly interpreted the canes as a distinct group and created the genus Arundinaria with one species. However, neither of these researchers left enough information to their successors, leading to confusion surrounding the identity of the species they had described. The later workers G.H.E. Muhlenberg and A.S. Hitchcock each changed the circumscriptions of the species within the group, but it wasn't until epitypes, type specimens that clarify older ambiguous names, were applied to Walter's and Michaux's species in 2009 that the taxonomy could be stabilised. Meanwhile, many similar Asian and even African bamboos were placed in this genus under a very broad concept for the group. Preliminary phylogenetic studies in 2006 using molecular and morphological evidence have suggested that the genus forms three natural species confined to the southeastern United States.

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    They sound like they are a great source of primitive shafts.
    They are. The Native American tribes that inhabited my area used river cane for a wide variety of applications.
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

The cane was also used by groups such as the Cherokee, Seminole, and Choctaw to make medicine, blowguns, bows and arrows, knives, spears, flutes, candles, walls for dwellings,[10] fish traps, sleeping mats, and tobacco pipes.[12]

A pretty useful resource if you ask me.

Found out it's starting to naturalise down here too.

Impact
    Arundinaria reed is a small to large bamboo-like plant. The only Arundinaria species currently known to be a problem in Australia is Simon bamboo (Arundinaria simonii f. variegata), which has naturalised on Lord Howe Island.

Arundinaria reed was originally introduced as an ornamental bamboo. It grows in thick clumps and has the potential to become a serious weed of urban bushlands, roadsides and open woodland areas.

On Lord Howe Island it has spread from gardens into nearby World Heritage environmental areas. It out-competes native vegetation and prevents the growth of understorey species. Thick stands disrupt the nesting and burrowing behaviours of native birds.

Distribution
    About eight species of Arundinaria occur worldwide. Native species originate from Asia and North America. It is a widely cultivated plant, mostly for ornamental purposes. It has been distributed into Taiwan, Japan, Vietnam, the Cook Islands and Australia.

Many types of cane, reed and bamboo type grasses exist within Australia. Arundinaria reed is only known to be present in NSW. It occurs as isolated infestations on Lord Howe Island and in small localised areas near Manly and Wagga Wagga in NSW.