Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Minimilst Survival Bag or Bug Out Bag ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tokwan View Post
    Now I envy someone who got something which I didn't...
    Well if you draw my name next Christmas I will send you one dude!

One thing I have always thought about is that if a real SHTF event ever does happen, I would make the girls pack one of my day bags with them and I would pack my main BOB. Nothing like having spare stuff you know! Then if we got split up for any reason, we would all have at least the essentials. Since their main Bobs are much lighter than mine, they could manage the day packs easily! Their main BOBs have more girly stuff than anything. When I had them pack their BOBs it was the funniest thing i have ever seen. They were more worried about hair and makeup things, I guess that was key to their survival.........LOL Of course I made them reduce the girly things with great opposition! At least now they have rugged non cotton warm clothes, and a few things that would actually help in a survival situation! Now they think they are ready for anything...........LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron_May27 View Post
    So I have my own bug out bag . But theres one problem . ITS TOO BIG AND HEAVY . I dont feel like carying it around everytime I got to the outdoors . So what is a good minimilst bag that contains all the essintials ? Please help . And thanks to everyone that does .

P.S. It would be helpful if I got an answer before the weekend . Im leaving saturday morning to go camping with a couple friends .
    So.. are you looking for a survival bag, a BOB, or a bag to take stuff into the woods for a fun weekend? The only way to determine what a great lightweight bag would contain is to define what it will be used for. My BOB is completely different than my backpacking backpack. There are a few items that work for both, but not a lot.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

That's the problem with a large bag. They are too darned easy to fill up. This is our survival mini kit.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I too like to travel light.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

That's when you start over.....this pattern will continue for ever......
    Called "One more thing-ites".
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    That's when you start over.....this pattern will continue for ever......
    Called "One more thing-ites".

Then you go back through stuff from years ago. LOL I was going through a couple of bins at my warehouse and I found big ferrocium rods that HAD deteriorated. Lighters that were out of lighter fluid. A back packing tent I had though was lost like 7 years ago. Random bullets in .300 Win Mag, .30-06, .30-30, 7.62X39, 5.56X45.

And my Plastic Jesus. I had a plastic bobbing Jesus on the dashboard of my truck for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    Just wondering my friend, I have one just like it for my second car, and my shoulder bag in the truck! That is one of my favorite knives. It is reasonably sharp, and almost indestructable. I have 2 of them now and use them for my primary knives in my day bags. For $18-$20, they are the best knives I have found for the money!
    OK i give up what kind of knife are we talking about here ??

Quote Originally Posted by fjrmurph View Post
    OK i give up what kind of knife are we talking about here ??
    I wondered that too.

Usually bags with lots of pockets rather than 1 or two big pockets work much better, they can hold a surprising amount of things and allow easy access. I recommend military bags.

Banned

Default Big A$$ bags

When your "bag" comes with wheels you may be packing excessively. OR are a teenage girl.

Actually I do have one of these PlanoŽ XXL Storage Trunks with wheels that I store several smaller bags in and will sometimes put in the back of a pickup truck or trailer when traveling so small stuff does not fly out. (or clip several items together with a carabiner) Also my kids pack their stuff for summer camp in similar "wheeled trunks" that fit under the bunk beds at the cabins. Dragging them up dirt paths to the cabins tears them up but girls must pack different stylish outfit for each day at camp so what the hey. A form of "survival" I will never comprehend, I can survive for weeks on just 2 sets of apparel.

http://www.planostoragesolutions.com...age-trunk.aspx

These bigfoot bags are useful for light weight gear. A kayak friend uses them for paddles and such for large groups.
    http://www.bigfootbag.com

Have used Rubber made Action Packers since the 1980's.....always kinda had a problem keep the tops latched...Looks like the Plano may be a better bet.
    Kept hunting gear packed year around.....and now used a gear holder in the back of the trucks.

Do like the Bigfoot bags....kinda a take off on the Alaska Pack it seems?

Banned

Default Plastic or metal boxes, Dry or Not, pros and cons

Plano Brand lockers are fairly cheap but definitely not waterproof best to put stuff that needs this in dry bags inside them. Typically they have multiple latches and place(s) for padlocks or small carabiners. I occasionally add webbing straps with cam buckles but have never had anything significant blow out of a truck bed or open trailer. This on many trips locally (TX, OK, LA, AR) and also Western mountains, Gulf of Mexico, Canadian Rocky mountains etc. (i.e. high wind). Another lightweight option that some of my friends use in trailers, raft and large open canoes are the Canyon Camping Dry (or not sealed variations) plastic or aluminum boxes here is a link to NRS but several other retailers also sell similar boxes.

http://www.nrs.com/product/3058/nrs-...amping-dry-box

If I must leave gear out in the open where varmints, bear or human thieves can get to it I prefer metal boxes but plastic ones are easier to load and much cheaper. Some of my friends prefer to stay in motels when traveling multiple days by road to a camping location, I just insist we stay at one in a decent suburban neighborhood not low income area beside Interstate. Better is a private or state campground where I can keep an eye on the gear. Theft of entire trailers is a big problem in this region and I assume across N.A. If you are traveling in my region regardless of the no-firearms signs at campgrounds it is best to assume that every single vehicle and person is packing, and it is large caliber or gauge, so thieves (and varmints) should consider their health and not mess with other's gear. Personally I don't like to attract a lot attention and often go for a double edged dagger blade or short sword first, I no longer get much time to practice the old sport of "Indian Pig Sticking" but have not forgotten how. Was about 12 y.o. when first did it.

So a dry bag or plastic or metal box to protect gear from dust and moisture in a trailer or truck bed works well for me. Theft by critter or human is about the only concern. One friend of mine built a large heavy duty wooden box in the back of his pickup truck, it is very ugly but functional, and the canoes and kayaks still mount on rails above it. Another purchased an outfitters canoe trailer removed the lower racks, welded a large gear tray (6x8 ft) there but still has racks for 4-6 canoes/kayaks above. Many ways to travel cross country. #1 cost of camping is always petrol so packing tight and car pooling increased opportunity for adventure. That's my philosophy.

Edit: Yesterday I was chatting with an old school friend (Scottish who now lives in Scotland) about Scottish Festivals in the USA. He said that in the UK it was illegal to use or even own a sword. I told him good luck defending yourself (with sticks and kitchen knives) from ISIL trained extremists who have stashes of fully automatic firearms and will attack you in Edinburgh, Paris, London and Sydney. He agreed that fully trusting the Government to protect them from thousands of extremists was not working out well for them. 3-10 LEO per extremist, 5000 on watch list in France alone, it is virtually impossible. Over 1 million worldwide. Good luck with that. Saudi Arabia has spent over $100 Billion spreading their extreme beliefs worldwide (past 20-30 yrs), they are the 4th largest spender on military behind USA, China and Russian ($67 billion in 2013). Most of 9/11 hijackers were from S.A., most of $ for Al-Qaeda (and more recent offshoots) and early $ support for ISIL from S.A. (many criminals released from S.A. to go fight in Syria, easy to find documents if you can read Arabic) USA intelligence and military know this but US politicians have other concerns ($), they hunt a wolf by shooting at its tail (Iraq and Afghanistan) not the heart or neck/spine. Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by TXyakr; 01-13-2015 at 01:24 PM. Reason: defend your "gear bag"

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron_May27 View Post
    So I have my own bug out bag . But theres one problem . ITS TOO BIG AND HEAVY . I dont feel like carying it around everytime I got to the outdoors . So what is a good minimilst bag that contains all the essintials ? Please help . And thanks to everyone that does .

P.S. It would be helpful if I got an answer before the weekend . Im leaving saturday morning to go camping with a couple friends .
    Quote Originally Posted by TXyakr View Post
    Plano Brand lockers are fairly cheap but definitely not waterproof best to put stuff that needs this in dry bags inside them. Typically they have multiple latches and place(s) for padlocks or small carabiners. I occasionally add webbing straps with cam buckles but have never had anything significant blow out of a truck bed or open trailer. This on many trips locally (TX, OK, LA, AR) and also Western mountains, Gulf of Mexico, Canadian Rocky mountains etc. (i.e. high wind). Another lightweight option that some of my friends use in trailers, raft and large open canoes are the Canyon Camping Dry (or not sealed variations) plastic or aluminum boxes here is a link to NRS but several other retailers also sell similar boxes.

http://www.nrs.com/product/3058/nrs-...amping-dry-box

If I must leave gear out in the open where varmints, bear or human thieves can get to it I prefer metal boxes but plastic ones are easier to load and much cheaper. Some of my friends prefer to stay in motels when traveling multiple days by road to a camping location, I just insist we stay at one in a decent suburban neighborhood not low income area beside Interstate. Better is a private or state campground where I can keep an eye on the gear. Theft of entire trailers is a big problem in this region and I assume across N.A. If you are traveling in my region regardless of the no-firearms signs at campgrounds it is best to assume that every single vehicle and person is packing, and it is large caliber or gauge, so thieves (and varmints) should consider their health and not mess with other's gear. Personally I don't like to attract a lot attention and often go for a double edged dagger blade or short sword first, I no longer get much time to practice the old sport of "Indian Pig Sticking" but have not forgotten how. Was about 12 y.o. when first did it.

So a dry bag or plastic or metal box to protect gear from dust and moisture in a trailer or truck bed works well for me. Theft by critter or human is about the only concern. One friend of mine built a large heavy duty wooden box in the back of his pickup truck, it is very ugly but functional, and the canoes and kayaks still mount on rails above it. Another purchased an outfitters canoe trailer removed the lower racks, welded a large gear tray (6x8 ft) there but still has racks for 4-6 canoes/kayaks above. Many ways to travel cross country. #1 cost of camping is always petrol so packing tight and car pooling increased opportunity for adventure. That's my philosophy.

Edit: Yesterday I was chatting with an old school friend (Scottish who now lives in Scotland) about Scottish Festivals in the USA. He said that in the UK it was illegal to use or even own a sword. I told him good luck defending yourself (with sticks and kitchen knives) from ISIL trained extremists who have stashes of fully automatic firearms and will attack you in Edinburgh, Paris, London and Sydney. He agreed that fully trusting the Government to protect them from thousands of extremists was not working out well for them. 3-10 LEO per extremist, 5000 on watch list in France alone, it is virtually impossible. Over 1 million worldwide. Good luck with that. Saudi Arabia has spent over $100 Billion spreading their extreme beliefs worldwide (past 20-30 yrs), they are the 4th largest spender on military behind USA, China and Russian ($67 billion in 2013). Most of 9/11 hijackers were from S.A., most of $ for Al-Qaeda (and more recent offshoots) and early $ support for ISIL from S.A. (many criminals released from S.A. to go fight in Syria, easy to find documents if you can read Arabic) USA intelligence and military know this but US politicians have other concerns ($), they hunt a wolf by shooting at its tail (Iraq and Afghanistan) not the heart or neck/spine. Just my 2 cents.
    Wow, LOL came a long way.....Wonder how Cameron May made out?