Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minimilst Survival Bag or Bug Out Bag ?

Default Minimilst Survival Bag or Bug Out Bag ?

So I have my own bug out bag . But theres one problem . ITS TOO BIG AND HEAVY . I dont feel like carying it around everytime I got to the outdoors . So what is a good minimilst bag that contains all the essintials ? Please help . And thanks to everyone that does .

P.S. It would be helpful if I got an answer before the weekend . Im leaving saturday morning to go camping with a couple friends .

Cameron,

Most of us here that do the bag stuff usually have more then one bag. (That is grossly understated!) When I go for an excursion for a few days or so in the woods, I actually travel with a large ALICE that weighs around 50lbs. Okay to get in and out of the woods in, but like you, I don't want to carry that thing around for every little walk. I bring on those trips a small camo shoulder bag. I put things in it from my ALICE when I venture out from the camp after it is set up. Always have a small first aid kit in it, flashlight, knife, and some cordage. If I am going fishing, I'll put my fishing kit in it. If I'm hunting, I'll put some ammo in it. If I'm just exploring, I'll put my binoculars in it.

For a day hike, I have small ALICE that I use. Contains many things that I take on my camping trip, minus the camping gear and less quantities that are just right for a day hike. A small first aid kit, flashlight, knife, fishing kit, a bit of food, water, fire kit, canteen cup, poncho, and a change of socks. Weighs about 15lbs and can hump that all day!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Another great answer by you . I always wondered about having anothe bag but did want to start all over . This answer solved it for me . In fact I already started on my minimist bag . Cant wait to go test it in the woods . Thanks for all your great answers . I really appreciate it . And also what goes in your fire kit ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron_May27 View Post
    Another great answer by you . I always wondered about having anothe bag but did want to start all over . This answer solved it for me . In fact I already started on my minimist bag . Cant wait to go test it in the woods . Thanks for all your great answers . I really appreciate it . And also what goes in your fire kit ?
    For my small day hike bag, my fire kit is matches in a small container, lighter (Bic type), Petro Jelly soaked cotton balls in a small pill bottle, and an Altoids tin filled with small bits of fatwood.

Let us know how you are coming along and what you find that works well for you and what doesn't.

I have a canvas bag with a shoulder strap, the bag is about 12" long and 10" high and holds just about everything I need for day hiking and a get home bag. It has a little food, knife, 3 sources for fire starting, small tea candles, compass, survival blanket, Stainless steel cup, small LED flashlight, Iodine, small fishing kit in a skoals can, band aids, and a thick large contractor sized trash bag and about 50' of paracord. You would not suvive in luxury but you would survive with these few things. It is very comfortable to hike with because it is a cross body type bag and I don't have to worry about it falling off, and everything in is very accessible.
    I would want a larger bag for actual bug out, but this bag will do for a get home and day hike bag just fine! I also have a canteen with cup and cover that I wear on my belt with this bag, can't forget water you know!
    This bag is absolutely stuffed but it holds everything I need and only weighs about 5 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    For my small day hike bag, my fire kit is matches in a small container, lighter (Bic type), Petro Jelly soaked cotton balls in a small pill bottle, and an Altoids tin filled with small bits of fatwood.

Let us know how you are coming along and what you find that works well for you and what doesn't.
    Hey Nater, have you used that little bag I sent you?

Thats a very nice setup as well wildthang . And also nice fire kit man . Ill be using that also . Thank you Wildthang for the reply .

Original day hike bag.....up graded.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Any way, this kit is belt worn/truck carried and has evolved over 25-30 years. Started just as a plastic 2 piece cigarette box (waterproof) , now is a little bigger.
    Fits in Mil. First aid pouch.

From bottom left:
    1-Coghlars-Pack II 1st aid kit.
    2-sticks gum
    1-instant coffee
    1-small plastic box (from ear plugs) w/fishing line/hooks/sinkers/corks) also 4 aspirins.
    1-small bottle of water purification tabs (sealed with wax)
    1-roller paper/wax fire starter
    1-candle end
    1-box matches
    1-small metal match (flint and steel)
    1-lighter

Next row: from left
    1-compass
    1-Swiss Army knife
    1-led flashlight
    1-plastic cig box)
    1-p-38 can opener
    1-razor blade
    1-folded up piece of alum. foil
    1-box/50 rds .22 ammo
    4-quarters
    1-plastic spoon
    1-sewing kit (from hotel)
    1-emergency blanket
    1-mirror
    25ft-nylon strapping
    1-Military issue First Aid pouch
    1-Zip-Loc bag
    Last edited by hunter63; 09-25-2014 at 09:57 PM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Next layer....Hunting fanny pack.....
    Items are from top:
    Fanny pack,…. modified to attach combo knife and small hatchet
    ‘Skitter stick
    First aid kit
    Pair of Walkie-talkie’s, one has scan function, FM and weather capability.
    Compass
    Whistle
    Water purification straw
    2 white garbage bags, (stuff is on top)
    Parabolic mirror (It’s cool)
    Insect repellent
    Sent block-earth
    Cordage
    Space blanket
    Thermos bottle w/ss cup, comes off plastic cup (Not work a crap in the morning, without my coffee)
    TP in zip lock bag
    Belt ammo wallet with extra ammo
    Hand foot warmers
    From left again:
    Mini Mag light in holder (can’t see it too good)
    Opinel folding knife on note book w/pen and pencil
    Dental floss
    Fire kit carried in zip lock bag:
    Bees wax candle end
    3-home made fire starting blocks
    Ferro rod Fire steel (can’t see it too good)
    Folding Razor cutter
    35 film container, w/duck tape wound around outside, petroleum jelly soaked cotton balls, inside.
    Old pill bottle w/ wood matches and striker board
    Bic type lighter
    Lemon drops ( I just like ’em)
    Mini Binoc’s

This ... Is ... Amazing ... Very good job . Please keep it up . +1 Rep . Thanks A lot

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you asked...

I'm an old Dawg, so I don't "backpack. I "auto-pack." However, If I were to ever get back into that I would divide my current weight, wearing everything I would be wearing in the outdoors, by 3. I would make the answer the current weight of my bag and contents. Then I would shoulder it and stroll around the neighborhood. The town I live in has a big University and people are always hiking around with day packs, so nobody would likely notice. If I felt that the bag was still to heavy I'd knock off 5 pounds or so and try again, and keep doing that until I found the right fit. Remember, you have to work your way up to wear you want to be with fitness....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Cool Another thought...

You keep confusing an outdoor camping pack with a bug-out bag. The camping pack is for recreation and the BOB for emergencies. Every family member should have a BOB....
    Last edited by Sarge47; 09-24-2014 at 10:31 PM.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

What ferro rod is that in your EDC . And thats a really nice seup you have ! Multitool name ?

Looks like most have answered and all are good answers.
    I would like to share.
    I usually carry a 9kg pack (about 20lbs?) with all the main essentials such as hammocks, spare clothes/jacket, food, water, ropes, lighters and fuels. I also carry a small pouch like back, that have a disposable poncho, fire making kit, first aid, a couple pack of drink mix and a pack of MRE and other survival kit items when I am foraging the nearby areas.
    Sometimes, I would use another pack, being the Lowe Alpine ilitary pack that have two removable pouches. These pouches can be zipped together and make a small backpack by themselves.
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron_May27 View Post
    What ferro rod is that in your EDC . And thats a really nice seup you have ! Multitool name ?
    Yes...cut it off a longer rod.
    Multi tool is a cheapo from Cabalas...got it free.
    Included it as it does have a built in flashlight....have used it on occasion...actually have use the whole tool, but most likely wouldn't last in daily use...and it's small.

Pouch is a SAK pouch.....has cotton balls stuffed into the bottom to hold up everything....and can be fished out for tinder/spark catcher.

.....and a Mini Bic.....
    Last edited by hunter63; 09-24-2014 at 09:46 PM. Reason: splin'

Thats also a nice setup . I will take all of these and take theminto consideration . Thanks for the answer . And thats a nice EDC . I will be making one here shortly .

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    Hey Nater, have you used that little bag I sent you?
    Yessir! I placed it on a nylon duty belt. Also on that duty belt is a canteen with cup, and a holster for my revolver. I added a few items to the bag as well. I wear it whenever I am fishing/hiking/hunting in an area I am very familiar with and where I am no more than an hour walk from the car. That bag is an awesome size and the knife you included is great on field dressing fish. Thanks again for that. It is in service!

Now I envy someone who got something which I didn't...
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    Yessir! I placed it on a nylon duty belt. Also on that duty belt is a canteen with cup, and a holster for my revolver. I added a few items to the bag as well. I wear it whenever I am fishing/hiking/hunting in an area I am very familiar with and where I am no more than an hour walk from the car. That bag is an awesome size and the knife you included is great on field dressing fish. Thanks again for that. It is in service!
    Just wondering my friend, I have one just like it for my second car, and my shoulder bag in the truck! That is one of my favorite knives. It is reasonably sharp, and almost indestructable. I have 2 of them now and use them for my primary knives in my day bags. For $18-$20, they are the best knives I have found for the money!
    Last edited by Wildthang; 09-25-2014 at 09:54 AM.