Thread: primitive skills not just for buckskinners

Default primitive skills not just for buckskinners

primitive skill sets are not just for the blackpowder/buckerskinner crowd.
    many people of all walks and for as many reasons practice aboriginal skill sets.
    from a pscholgical standpoint we all have a little caveman in us ooga,ooga uug.
    be it shelter building,firemaking,my favorite weapons making,or flintknapping,fishing,
    trapping,tool making ,pottery,hide tanning,stone and bone tool making plant medicines
    leather making and clothing. there is much to learn given the time period between
    paleoman 10 to 12,000 years ago and native americans of the 19th century.
    there were many advances in primitive technolgy between those time periods.you have pre and
    post copper usage copper use going back about 4-5,000 years ago.from what ive seen
    most people tend to gravatate twoard the post archaic period to the period of the 1840,s.
    wether for survial or just a hobby you cant go wrong learning primitive skills. so what are the skills
    you have learned and what period do you favor?

As far as primitive skills goes, I like flint & steel and the bow drill....and I favor the post archaic to modern era.

DomC

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk
    "There are only 2 classes of ships in the Navy...Submarines and Targets!" RM2(SS)
    "A knifeless man is a lifeless man"...Nordic proverb.
    "No man's knowledge can go beyond his experience." John Locke.
    "Survival is about getting out of the wilderness ALIVE, Bushcraft is about getting into the wilderness and THRIVING."

I prefer tanning my hides with my stone tools and walnut tannins. I have a tanning frame but nothing like strapping it to a large oak tree and making a nice buckskin shirt.Photo-1099.jpg
    Awanita from the wild patato clan of the Tsalagi/Cherokee. "When the time comes, know how to only be seen when wanted to be seen".

For me/us...the 1800-1840 later fur trade era....seems to be where we ended up.....although being drafted into a Riders Rangers company, French and Indian war era, 1740-1760's has opened up another set of study skills, and gear.

Being a member of the local Archeological Society take me back even more.

This area has a couple mammoth dig sites that show signs human butchering 1000 years before Clovis N.M......(jury is still out)

That being said...this are still relativity modern eras compared to "primitive stone age" study and skills....But where my interests are concentrated.

I feel the knowledge of how, why, and when skills were used make a well rounded skill set for outdoor and wilderness living.
    Said living instead of surviving o
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Like many Americans I come from American Indian decent, Cherokee, so primative skills have always interested me as well.
    Flint & steel (not ferro rod) bow drill, primative traps snares, primative fishing skills. wild edibles,medicinal plants, tomahawk throwing.
    Last edited by Graf; 09-24-2014 at 04:24 PM.
    Semper Paratus

Osiyo Graf, I agree.
    Awanita from the wild patato clan of the Tsalagi/Cherokee. "When the time comes, know how to only be seen when wanted to be seen".

nice to see you doit old school.

Photo-0136.JPGSome of my stone tools I use in my tanning of hides. Photo-0139.jpg and my stone knife for fleshing. Photo-0009.jpg

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I like paleo- to holocene. I prefer figuring out stuff that is pre-history. I don't really follow timelines. I just do stuff. The more stone-age, the more fun and challenging. Of course, shooting a black-powder boomstick is pretty fun, too.

the path of the solar eclipse i like that

bp broomstick what,s that about?