Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A simple question . Please help!

Default A simple question . Please help!

So I just had a question . Im new as you may know and I wanted you to help me with this one question . All answers are appreciated . Thanks a lot !

How do you gain like i guess you would call them membership points or bars ?

There may be more question post like this in the future .. Just to let you know .

In answer to your question...on this forum it's called "Reputation"....you give it to others with the "star" on the bottom tool bar next to "Blog this post"

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...out-Reputation
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

There are two things i think you could br refering to.

One is based on the amount of posts you make. Once you hit a certain number of posts, you will have the title "senior member" under your name. I believe it is 100 posts.

The other, and what i believe you are referencing, is called "reputation points." If you make a post that another member finds informative, they can give you reputation. The more reputation you recieve, the more green boxes you will recieve under your name. Most members don't place too much stock in the reputation points and it seems more like a novelty. But when you make a post and a member mentions giving you "rep" it can have a snowball affect and you can really rack up the points.

Hope that helps.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

LOL, I've been on this forum for maybe a year and never even noticed the bars until you mentioned it ! Thanks for pointing them out......
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Thank you everyone .!

LOL....Like RX says, most don't pay too much attention to "the green balls"....always seems like you end up getting them when you least expect it........

Other times you think you are being really clever, or profound....and find out that it's more of a "What?...or "Oh, OK....." we aren't as cool sometimes as we think we are.......and it pays not to take one self too seriously....

Just go to the Site, Quiz and Forum Feedback section. Everything you want to know about the forum is probably listed in that section.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...Forum-Feedback

Now I know what those green bars are..........
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

There are two ways to get them

1. write a post that others like. Then they give you "rep". The more "rep" the more green thingies. Look at the six pointed star thingy at the bottom of someones bar, right next to "blog this post". Click on that star thingy, and you can add "rep" to someone else.

2. Be a moderator and add as many green thingies as you want.

Why do I have this feeling that I will lose some of my green thingies for this?
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    double post
    Double post ...not gonna help ya....LOL

Anyway....If the goal of a forum is to rack up "likes, points, reps,....bluh, bluh" as some forum are.....(kinda an extension of Fakebox) ..
    This forum isn't for you.

I have been on some forums that any thread you start, it's required that you "like" every post...including the 'smilies'....

Around here,...... ideas, with tryouts, pic's, (been some fantastic pic's)....been there, done that, tutorials threads will get respect and "rep" from the members.

Only the mods can give negative rep. We eliminated the negative rep because it always seems to be a way to "get even" with someone for something then a peeing contest gets started. Realize too that mods do write ups on how to's on the forum so we've received rep for that as well. Not just doing outdoor stuff.

I haven't used negative rep in a loooong time Lemme see....FinallyMe.....Ah, there it is.

Yea . I was just wondering . Thanks for the answers though . I really appreciate it .

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post

I have been on some forums that any thread you start, it's required that you "like" every post...including the 'smilies'....
    I actually "like" this feature on other forums. The way I see it, I spent effort to start a post, and then they took the effort to somehow answer the question. So, by clicking "like" on their answer, I am thanking them for reading what I wrote, and then responding. And, it signifies to them, that the answer they spent time writing wasn't wasted. I read their answer and considered it.

On the two forums I spend the most time on.... this one and another one, there isn't this feature. And when a newbie comes and asks a good question, and then a bunch of the regulars..including me....spend a good amount of time answering the question, it is nice to know that the original poster has come back and at least read the responses.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I never noticed the bars either!

LOL....Like RX says, most don't pay too much attention to "the green balls"....always seems like you end up getting them when you least expect it........

Other times you think you are being really clever, or profound....and find out that it's more of a "What?...or "Oh, OK....." we aren't as cool sometimes as we think we are.......and it pays not to take one self too seriously....
    Very well said hunter! Gonna have to give you some green.... Er I mean rep for that! LOL
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

Thanks....See that's what I mean.....LOL

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I never noticed the "other forums"

Got a "notice" on one forum.......I wasn't giving enough "Likes".......I guess if you post something you are supposed to kike ALL the answers....even if they say "You are a Dumas".......LIKE.....LOL.

Dirty socks......."Get your dirty socks on Amazon dot com".......

Blog Entries

Cool well now...

Had to give you some rep for that one...Couldn't find Ruth's phone number....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Soooo, how many green balls for Ruth's number?