Thread: anyone on the fourm make nativeamerican crafts or weapons?

Default anyone on the fourm make nativeamerican crafts or weapons?

i do and would really like to see some of the things others have made
    posted here i too will post photos as well as soon as i can figure out how.
    today i would like to start on a medicine shield.the hardest part bieing
    in prayer what it,s design will be cause it,s personal like when you make a warshirt.
    when making knives i spend more time in thought which blade will feel right with
    which handle than i do putting it togather.it,s like a spirtual thing doing this.

My Wife Wodige Digatoli and I do. pine needle baskets to loom beading to bows/arrows, tanning leather work and stone pipes. Have some photos up on another site but haven't been on here long enough to be able to post photos to my albums.

this is a comma , and does not go here "it,s"

try this "it's"

Please don't start critiquing me. My brain is about four paragraphs in front of my fingers. Or maybe behind them. I don't know. I've taught college level English and have to go back and correct just about every post I make. I always seam to mak a misteak or too.

Spelling Po Po....?...LOL.
    Yeah better watch ne as wel......see, it was supposed to be "Me" but "ne" didn't trip the speller........
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

awanita, what type of stone do you use for pipe or chanupa making do you use?
    i use pipestone from mn and also some grey from iowa and black from canada.thier
    also good to use for pendants,knife handlestomahawk peace pipes beads,amulets and many otherthhings
    as well the powder for warpaint or painting spirtshields.

Photo-0061.JPGPhoto-0062.JPGI use white or grey soap stone we find it it the delta but it is rare and was brought down and traded. The Native Americans here in Northeast Arkansas had several trade areas where tribes came from as for as Mn and Michigan to trade. Once I can get a photo file set up I will post some of my work. My wife has some nice beading she is doing for a jacket of mine. I will see if I have posted enough to add a photo of some of the pipes we have made. I hope it uploaded. this is the male T pipe.
    Awanita from the wild patato clan of the Tsalagi/Cherokee. "When the time comes, know how to only be seen when wanted to be seen".

you do really nice work what material do you use for the stems? oh and when you say delta does the
    stone come from the rivr or near it? i ask cause the grey i use from iowa comes from a river down there.
    naturally the guy would,nt say which river or where, heh heh

hayshaker the stems are made from river cane. We use alot of cane here because it is easy access. No the stone is not native to this area, it was brought in by Native trader hundreds of years ago, we still find some on the old river banks and abandoned village sites. The stone I use was probably brought down from Michigan or the more northern reigons. I have thought about trying to use some lime stone or sand stone. I will have to take a trip to central Arkansas to get those stone. An interesting fact about the Delta flat lands of Arkansas because it was mostly swamp, you may find river gravel and small stones but there are no big rocks other that what has been brought in over the years. here is a couple more photos of some more pipes I make, the red one I call the BRICK! lol because that is what I carved it from. I was making a clay pipe one day and it hit me, Hey Awanita Brick is clay and fired just like the pipes you are making... so I tried it and it worked, who would have thunk. hahaPhoto-0068.jpgPhoto-0064.jpg1607542-H.jpg
    Awanita from the wild patato clan of the Tsalagi/Cherokee. "When the time comes, know how to only be seen when wanted to be seen".

I made a hand held net
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    based on information in this book
    http://books.google.com/books?id=fud...ishing&f=false
    Happily tangled in my nets at
    http://pineapple.myfunforum.org/index.php?c=7

Osiyo asemery that is awesome, I havent check the site out yet but do they have instructions on a hand thrown net. My youngest is a heck of a net thrower, all I can do it get wrapped up in it. I would like to find some instructions to make him one. Wado Awanita.

Quote Originally Posted by Awanita View Post
    Osiyo asemery that is awesome, I havent check the site out yet but do they have instructions on a hand thrown net. My youngest is a heck of a net thrower, all I can do it get wrapped up in it. I would like to find some instructions to make him one. Wado Awanita.
    The information you can see in the free preview is limited. In fact I can no longer see the hand held net on which I based my project. There are instructions on-line to make cast nets.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 09-24-2014 at 07:54 PM.
    Happily tangled in my nets at
    http://pineapple.myfunforum.org/index.php?c=7

Sorry asemery - I had to edit your post where you said go to the link in my signature. You can't do that.....

But I can since it is not my site - check out the link in asmery's signature.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

If anyone here does the good ol American 1 piece Hunting Bow...I would be glad to be your customer.
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Please don't start critiquing me. My brain is about four paragraphs in front of my fingers. Or maybe behind them. I don't know. I've taught college level English and have to go back and correct just about every post I make. I always seam to mak a misteak or too.
    we all make mistakes, but in this instance I saw the opportunity to help someone who obviously does not know they are making a mistake, especially since they are still doing it.

Hayshaker sent me some pics of his Native American war clubs & knives hes made, gotta say hes has skill nicely done. had the pleasure of speaking with him on the phone as well, good people!
    Semper Paratus

Quote Originally Posted by Graf View Post
    Hayshaker sent me some pics of his Native American war clubs & knives hes made, gotta say hes has skill nicely done. had the pleasure of speaking with him on the phone as well, good people!
    Would you mind sharing the pics here?
    I'd like to see them!
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

Has anyone ever made a Native American beaver hoop? I was going to make one something like this only instead of a beaver use a squirrel. Is there a wood that's best for the frame? Someone suggested to me the large vines that grow in the trees in the woods. Does anyone know if that is even a good idea?

Have one hanging on the wall at "The Place"....I use it to display medallion's and tokens from rendezvous.

Used willow when real green.....don't know if you can bend it small enough for squirrel?....Maybe soak it.

On wall on the left side.....w/ a couple of traps hanging near by.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27