Thread: why don,t sawsall blades have tobe anealed?

Default why don,t sawsall blades have tobe anealed?

i saw a old post where someone made a really nice kife out of a
    sawsall blade. and if i,m not mistaken it did not get anealed. but why?
    is it to do whih the type of steel or what?

You keep the steel from getting hot so that you don't lose the steels temper.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Most sawsall blades are only hard where the teeth are. Look on the package and they will be labeled bi-metal. It gives the teeth edge holding ability but allows the soft back of the blade to be abused as most of us do when using the blades to rip houses and sheds apart, cut rusty nails and rock hard 4x4 posts.

The wide part of the blade will be mild steel and although they make a pretty knife, and are a simple material to work with, they are not a real good steel.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Kyratshooter hit the nail on the head, sawsall blades are cheap steel, with only the a very thin portion of the leading edge/teeth hardened and the only portion of the blade that is capable of being hardened, the rest of the blade is a non knife grade steel, that is impossible to re-heat treat. Or any sawsall blade I have ever experimented with and its been several. To answer your question a sawsall blade doesn't need to be annealed because it doesn't matter it will only make a knife with a soft blade that will not hold an edge very well. Now that's every sawmill blade I have ever experimented on, not saying there is not a blade out there made from a high carbon tool steel, but I have not found one.
    Without counsel purposes are disappointed: but in the multitude of counsellers they are established.

s.pottscustomknives@gmail.com
    www.facebook.com/s.pottscustomknives
    http://s1248.beta.photobucket.com/us...llss7/library/