Thread: start a fire in wind & rain use a dakota fire pit

Default start a fire in wind & rain use a dakota fire pit

i,ve heard much here in reguards to failure to start a fire in wind and rain.
    why not try a dakota firepit. start with a hole smaller than your cooking pot
    dig down a foot or so then off to the side say 12in away dig downwards a foot then dig

towards the first hole till they meet up .place all your kindling in the hole then start your fire out of the wind
    if conditions are quite wet then find a fallen tree pull or tear the bark off exposing the shredded
    dry innerbark ot use as your starter fuel. this method also has opsec advantages at night as well.

cause your fire is not visible at a distance cause it,s underground. you can also use this pit as
    an improvised oven as well to bake game packed in clay. other uses as well think outside the box.

This was the method I use when i was in the Malaysian Police Jungle Squad, battling the communists insurgents. We call it the Indian Fire Pit. It is advisable to buils a wall of mud or of earth around so that water does not flow inside. It helps to hide the flames from lurking terrorists around.
    Also good for stealth camping.
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!