Thread: need help; how do you cut old sawmill blades and carbide blades to make knives?

Default need help; how do you cut old sawmill blades and carbide blades to make knives?

i was wanting some time back to mave my own knife blades
    using an old sawmill blade but could find nothing to cut it,
    i got so fustrated i just gave up. so how do you doit?

oh and crash my goodness can you make some beautiful knives.

You can cut out manageable pieces with a angle grinder with a cutoff blade, then from there you can hot or cold work it as you see fit. You can anneal a section of the blade with a oxygen/acetylene torch using a rose bud, if you can get enough heat in a large enough area, heat it to about 1400 degrees (to the point a magnet will not stick) then let it cool off at that point you can cut it with a hack saw or metal cutting band saw. if you go that direction you will need to re-heat treat the blade with a 3 step process, Normalize, harden, temper.
    Without counsel purposes are disappointed: but in the multitude of counsellers they are established.

s.pottscustomknives@gmail.com
    www.facebook.com/s.pottscustomknives
    http://s1248.beta.photobucket.com/us...llss7/library/

@ hayshaker - what randallss7 said.
    And you should check out his knives as well.
    There are several makers on this site that produce works of art!
    (I ain't one of 'em)
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

Here ya go.

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Crashdive, that is an excellent instructional video you made on knife making. I'm not a knife maker but thoroughly enjoyed watching it.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Thanks. Glad you liked it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I am by no means a knife maker. Although, I do plan on taking it up. But, I can give a little bit of advice, or at least explain a little differently what others have been saying.
    When you cut something, you have to use something that is harder than what you are cutting. However, steel can be in a hard state or a soft state. And, you can change that state....depending on the steel you have, and equipment. If you get a steel that is in it's hard state (like saw blades or files), then you can "cold work" it, or you can "anneal" it. If you cold work it, then you don't want it to change from it's hard state. That means you have to use tools that are very hard to cut it. And you have to be very careful with heating it up. You will need carbide drill bits, or diamond bits, and lots of abrasive stuff. If you anneal it, then you are changing it to a soft state, and that makes it easier to work with. HSS drill bits and files will work. Of course, then you have to heat treat and temper to get it back to a hard state. Hopefully this makes sense.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee