Thread: True Confession & .44mag

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default True Confession & .44mag

Time for soul searching and self reflection.

After all these years and all this shooting I must admit that I have never owned a .44 Magnum.

I have shot plenty of them, worked on a raft of them, done custom work and repairs and fired hundreds of rounds from them in all forms large and small.

I have just never owned one all for my own.

I made all kinds of excuses, mostly centered around already reloading for a zillion calibers and not wanting to gather dies, mold blocks and gear for another caliber.

I do not know why I used that as an excuse since I buy the same for any new caliber I venture into. (who else would buy mold blocks for a 7mm rifle?)

I have been thinking of late, with Christmas on the horizon and all, that a nice big bore pistol might be a good present from me, to me. And since it is Christmas I might just include the dies and bullet mold as a package deal.

Soooo...

Rather than dwell on replacing the .22lr, which I have already done from two different directions anyway, I think I will double down and go all in for a .44!

I am open to comments that attempt to pull me back into a condition of sanity but do not hold your breath or maintain much hope, when I get to this state I am pretty far gone.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 09-19-2014 at 11:59 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

The Ruger Bisley Super Black Hawk .44 mag was the second hand gun I bought, and from a distance looked just like the Ruger Single Six.

Had a Ruger Deerslayer .44 carbine (old style tube magazine), so was like a "match"....and looked like the Ruger 10/22....

Still love shooting it and have been surprised over the years of how many people are afraid of the recoil.......Shame on Dirty Harry.

Killed deer with both the revolver and carbine....

I think you should buy one, as you are the only one I know that doesn't have one......LOL
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Kyrat, pm headed your way in a minute.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

I will have you know that buying firearms has nothing to do with sanity. However, those of us who's sight line is below the sanity bar just feel better about buying them. Christmas can come any day you choose by the way. And if you are replacing your .22s with the .44 the squirrels will never look the same. POOF!

See, I have it figured out Rick. Been thinking about this a good deal.

I figure that if I go into the woods with a nickel plated .44 I can just pull it out of the holster and any squirrel in the area will fling themselves to the ground in a suicidal attempt to avoid being perforated by large bore bullets, and become my lunch.

I should save a bunch on powder and lead and will only need to reload one single bullet just in case I might have to fire one round and prove the pistol works.

Well, there you go. They say the first part of genius is a having a plan.

Funny you should mention .44 mag and squirrels in the same thread.
    Was deer hunting with a Ruger .44 mag carbine....240 gr Hollow points.

Saw a couple of squirrels were.... ah... "getting squirrelly"......I figured I could get both with one shot.....

So then I thinking,... that this poor squirrel had been chasing the females tail for a long time...finally is getting some....and some a-whole comes along a blow them both away......

Naw...couldn't do it.

Speaking of shiny 44's (not those - get your mind out of the gutter)...........

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Well, I am not a 44 guy.. never been one really.

I have owned 5-7 of them thru the years. One was VERY accurate too! It was a Ruger Redhawk 5.5''. I have had a Marlin and Ruger Bolt, Ruger Super BLK hawk and S&W 629 & 29.

I know its a very capable caliber. I know hat it can do and I still load for it for a couple friends. But I too currently do not own one and have no desire to own the 43 Magnum. :

I own 45Colt revolvers and Carbines. I have hunted and shot paper and steel with tem for over thirty years now.

The 45 Colt fired from a strong revolver, will exceed any 43 Magnum loading. Its a true caliber too, not a poser. its diameter is .451-.454 depending on age and manufacturer. Not .429 labeled 44...

I wont tell anyone they are no good, because its simply not true. I simply prefer the 45 Colt and my handloads.

CW
    Support our troops! We all owe a debt we cannot begin to repay, start with support of the PEOPLE in the uniforms.

Id vote for Smith or Rugar in stainless... It would be a rugged weapon for the great outdoors, and many other functions!

Ive been satisfied with the power of a 357, but the kid in me really wants a 44!

I say go for it, you only live once (YOLO as the kids say...).

It would suck to be on your death bead thinking "I still wish I had a 44...". At least, thats how I justify some of MY purchases! HA HA!

I don't own one either. I'll be smiling on my death bed thinking how my hands don't hurt nearly as bad as they would have if I had bought a .44. Actually, I hope I'm 106 and smiling cause I just got shot by a jealous lover but the .44 thing works for now.

I've always wanted a 44 mag too but just can't seem to commit on one. I have a 44 british bulldog and a 44-40 92 Winchester, that's about the closest I've come. I have a couple 45 colts though.

everybody needs at least one 44 mag and it's on my list too.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

My problem is that every time I buy something I start wanting a "backup".

So if two is one and one is none the third one must be free, right?

I am really looking at this one as the "everyone needs a .44mag" purchase with no expectation that it will be shot a great deal.

I have been looking at the ammo sites and if I did not already handload this would be the gun that started me along that trail. .44 mag ammo is running $0.75 per shot!

Even the brass is running 35-50 cents per empty case.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 09-21-2014 at 02:27 PM.

well, if you get a 44 mag handgun, you should really get a 44 mag in a rifle too. Are 44 mag barrels available for the handi rifle? how about .444?
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Krat - I don't reload......yet. I'll look through my collection of brass that I police and see if I've got some 44 mag. If I do, you're welcome to it - I'll bring it to the Jamboree.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    well, if you get a 44 mag handgun, you should really get a 44 mag in a rifle too. Are 44 mag barrels available for the handi rifle? how about .444?
    Yeah, I know.....do have to find the .444 barrel,...... but got the others covered.
    Last edited by hunter63; 09-21-2014 at 05:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Krat - I don't reload......yet. I'll look through my collection of brass that I police and see if I've got some 44 mag. If I do, you're welcome to it - I'll bring it to the Jamboree.
    Thanks Crash.

I find very little .44 brass at the range just because most people that shoot it for sport reload for it and never let a case get away from them.

I absolutely love my 44mag it's in a Rossi 92, at 50 yards I can make my first 2 shots touch and I can hit out to the 250 yard gong every time I do my part. It still shocks all the people at the range beside me until I hand them the gun tell them where to hold and they do it too .

I use to have a .44 magnum Ruger carbine, and it was one of my favorite woods guns. I never stretched it over 100 yards, but anything less than that was mine! I cannot remember one time that that gun jammed or failed to fire, and I have always regretted getting rid of it. I took several deer with it that was partially hidded by brush, and basicall knew that it would bust through the brush, and being a semi auto, could pull off another shot quickly if needed, probably would'nt have tried that with any other gun! It was light and easy to carry, and was very accurate for a carbine at 100 yards!