Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the study of primitive tecnology the life of pre and post paleoman

Default the study of primitive tecnology the life of pre and post paleoman

im posting this article cause i myself have started on a journe
    in regaurds to paleoman how he live the tools he used how they were
    made. this journey has brought me into the company of researchers,
    archeologist, and general rockhounds.i have built a small library of refrense
    books covering all aspects and fields of primitive tecnology. the study of flakes
    which fall off the stone as it,s knapped a techique used by dr,bruce bradley of

the university of exiter in the uk.there are socities like society of primitive tecnology
    po,box,905 rexburg.id 83440. other authers are richard and linda jamison. jonh and geri mc pherson

grat books on primitive living covering all aspects of primitive living. so far these days i,ve learned to make
    stoneage adzes knives, spears,bone awls. bone needles,wood and stone culbs and hammers.

spear and arrow points of stone and bone. do you share this same journey into the past as well.
    also i have skinned and scrapped my share of hides such as buffalo,bear beaver,deer and cow.
    though my tanning skills lack somewhat i can scrape a hide hair on good enough to make into
    a caveman coat if you will. not only do i find learning these skills fun as hell i feel they prove quite useful in comming times.

Have done some work on digs of Native American artifacts, cleaning, and cataloging ....under the tutelage of The Kenosha Country Archologery Society and The UW -Parkside....Professor.

John and Geri McPherson have a serious of books out, have a few as reference.
    http://www.grannysstore.com/Wilderne...airie_Wolf.htm

I also find that the study and trying of the crafts gives you an understanding, and leg up should the modern gear and weapons disappear, for what ever reason.

That also the reason I/we do the mountain man re-enacting....walking the walk so to speak.

Not into knapping, but have collected a few pieces over the years.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I spent some time with john and jerry back in the 80's

what wonderful teaching people.

I know them too so you are right. Really wonderful people....

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I love discussions of survival when people say "All you need is (such and such)" and I'm like "How do you make it?"
    Ever tried making saltpeter for black powder? Your reloading press isn't much use if you can't fire the bullets. I always go back to the "collapse" scenario where your money is worthless except for tinder, stores are not open, and it's just you and what you know and can do with your hands and what's at hand. While others are busy trying to work out the chemistry and perfect their powder recipes, I'll be whittling traps, knapping arrowheads, fire-hardening spears and straightening shafts for such. I am a lover of primitive technology. It is a long journey backwards and I find that you have to unlearn most of the things you know already, because they all depend on someone else manufacturing something for you. There is great reward in doing things for yourself. Ever skinned a deer with a stone knife? Ever trapped an animal with sticks and string?

Here's a link to the webpage for the Society of Primitive Technology. I love their journal/magazine (Bulletin of Primitive Technology). For those who haven't seen it, they sell some back issues.

http://www.primitive.org/

Capture.JPG
    Last edited by tjwilhelm; 11-07-2014 at 10:58 PM.

nice to meet someone else who flintknaps and does abo technology cool aint it. i think some times i have a bit of caveman in me for sure.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

We all do

hunter-gatherer Canadian-guerilla's Avatar

i'm planning for a future without electricity and gadgets
    Knowledge without experience is just information

there are two types of wild food enthusiasts,
    one picks for enjoyment of adding something to a meal,
    and the second is the person who lives mostly on ( wild ) edibles

Lydia

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian-guerilla View Post
    i'm planning for a future without electricity and gadgets
    What kind of skills are you learning for that?

Cool. Send your gadgets to me then.

well i have a good set ot oooooooold tools from tree saws tto spokeshaves and everything in between and know how to use them.
    got some gadgets and sure will miss,em but when all goes to poop you move on.it,s a new day so to speak.
    Last edited by hayshaker; 11-10-2014 at 11:05 AM.

well as for going real old school (paleo man) been working on that can skin animals work with stone,bone and wood just made 4 arrows
    last night still have to learn how to make a bow though ,heh heh. must admit sure will miss AC and elec heat and you cant compare
    a stone ax to a skil wormdrive saw just saying.

Two elements of primitive technology that tend to take a back seat are making cordage and containers (basket weaving gets a bad rap, I guess). Hayshaker, have you tried making any cordage out of plant fibers, yet?

Also, I'd love to see photos of any of the primitive crafts you come up with. Heck, I'd love to see anyone's photos of these things. It's always inspiring to see what other folks have done.

Thanks!

tj if you look in making stuff i believe there are some things i,ve made as for cordage and baskint weaving you right you
    don,t hear muc ado bout that. i have done some basket weaving when in the islands back when and cordage only a couple of times.
    if you could pm me your cell i would like to send you some photos of my work.

130308_238.jpg130610_016.jpgWe do alot of primitive making working on fletching some river cane arrows.
    Awanita from the wild patato clan of the Tsalagi/Cherokee. "When the time comes, know how to only be seen when wanted to be seen".

that sures a pretty basket as for fletching i,m just now working on my first arrows i,m using pheasant feathers
    cause i,m running low on turkey i need those for my warclubs and whatnot.

Photo-0072.JPGPhoto-0069.JPGhere are some of my first ones used duck feathers on them.
    Last edited by Awanita; 11-10-2014 at 12:39 PM.
    Awanita from the wild patato clan of the Tsalagi/Cherokee. "When the time comes, know how to only be seen when wanted to be seen".

Quote Originally Posted by hayshaker View Post
    tj if you look in making stuff i believe there are some things i,ve made as for cordage and baskint weaving you right you
    don,t hear muc ado bout that. i have done some basket weaving when in the islands back when and cordage only a couple of times.
    if you could pm me your cell i would like to send you some photos of my work.
    Sorry, hayshaker. I had to LOL on this one. Talk about "primitive technology!" I have a cell phone; BUT, it's a very old Palm, and I don't have a data plan. Thus, I can't get photos via my old, stone-knife and bear-skin phone. May I pm my email address to you instead?

I'll also go look for that other thread.

Thanks!

bearskin phone i just gotta have one of those, oh my i,ll just post them in the making stuff section. thanks any how.btw that deer you posted how much did he dressout to.fine eating there i,m sure.