Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pandemic Survival

Contagion was a pretty good movie showing what I think society would look like in the event of something like this. Yes, you ideally will need food stored, you won't go to work/school/mail/etc. Everyone will be hibernating, you may even be forced to in the form of an all hours curfew.

Let's not forget that it doesn't have to be a pandemic. It could be an epidemic that we are faced with. Ebola is a good example of an epidemic. It probably doesn't matter to those that are facing it what it's called but any of the diseases mentioned in this thread could be a localized or regional event as opposed to something on a global scale.

Oh for sure, it is probably more likely to be regional anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I have to think of things in terms of what people are likely to search for on Google that would bring them here. Very few will search for "prevention for fluid transmitted infection" but lots of people will search for "prevent ebola infection" The goal is to provide information, but the goal is also to build website traffic.

But lots of good ideas otherwise everyone, keep them coming.
    SEO. It doesn't have to be purely driven by visible content.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Here's a link to a map that has been posted a time or two. Don't know if it's worthy of including it but it does have a lot of useful information. If you click on an event and then on More Information then on Description or Situation Update in the top menu there are really good write ups on the biological stuff. Right now, Enterovirus D-68 is the big one in the U.S.

http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/index2.php

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Assuming the disease is not air borne or borne by some insect or rodent then you have to consider how long the infectious agent can remain viable outside the host. Simply picking up your mail out of the mailbox could be a potential source of the right disease if someone infected handled it. Lot's to consider but it all focuses on which disease, how it's transmitted and how long it can survive in the environment.
    Exactly Rick, think about all the "stuff" you have in your pantry/house wherever that you bought at the big box store that has been handled by how many people?? Not just producers/shippers/employees, but what about the shoppers who walk the isles picking up products handles them, cough on them, swipe their nose with their hand while or just before handling products, then put them back on the shelf and now you have that/those items in your house. Some of the viruses/bacteria can live quite a long time outside the body.

The more a product has been handled before you get it, the greater the chance you will come in contact with something (bad) RIght now it's is ebola and enterovirus D68 , oh and doctors in Africa have begun selling blood/blood products from ebola patients on the black market, scary stuff.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

While we are on the subject of Enterovirus D-68 I just read that alcohol based hand sanitizers are NOT effective against it. Here are the recommended precautions to take.

• Clean: Wash your hands frequently with warm soap and water for at least 20 seconds.Alcohol-based hand sanitizer is not effective in preventing the spread of EV-D68.
    • Cover: Cover your cough with your sleeve or a tissue when you cough or sneeze.
    • Contain: Prevent spreading illness to others by staying home if you are sick.
    • Avoid close contact and sharing cups or eating utensils with those who are ill.
    • Disinfect frequently touched surfaces.

http://wishtv.com/2014/09/12/health-...68-in-indiana/

Another good map that let's you select specific threats such as disease. You can further refine your search by using the search fields at the bottom of the map. Interesting how many countries world wide are now reporting cases of ebola.

http://outbreaks.globalincidentmap.com/home.php

And yet one more that offers new feeds. If you click on the number of a disease in the right hand box it will display headlines for that illness and map it to the news reporting agency.

http://www.healthmap.org/en/

Sierra Leone Lockdown.
    http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/EBOLA?SITE=SCAND

Would you let a government worker into your house? Would you have a choice?
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

i thought this was,nt a tinfoilhat woowoo site
    oh my time to break out the 15yrold singlemalt scotch it,s all over now.

It isn't....no tinfoil hat needed....and frankly this crap scares the crap outta me.......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Disease is one of the most common threats to man. We see epidemics occur each year. Right now, the US is impacted by EV-D68 and people are dying from it. Pandemics have resulted in horrendous loss of life. Currently, HIV/AIDS is killing 1-2 million per year and it is estimated that 35 million have the disease. Those certainly aren't tin foil numbers.

I would suggest that your chances of protecting your home and family against those who might have some infection are FAR greater than most of the end of the world stuff that folks are running to the woods over. Everyone wants to grab their bag and practice living in the woods because of some hypothetical economic collapse but how many have resources and practice to isolate and protect from disease? Epidemics strain companys' resources every year. Imagine those who work at power plants not showing up simply because of some virulent variant of flu. It takes people to keep the lights on and the water running.

Well said.........Not a glamour's as Zombies, not as noisy as a asteroid, your stuff still works for awhile..... but keeps coming.

Spot on Rick. Had to give you some rep for that reality based assessment.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

it scares me somewhat too HUNTER i was only trying to make light of it .as for
    bieing prepared for that i could hole up now and not need a thing. all good here.
    have coffee will survive.

I'm reminded of War of the Worlds (the original) in which the Martian's defeated everything we had and were brought down by a simple cold virus. We are oh so close to the same reality. A percentage of my preps are for this very thing including gloves, masks, clothing, a general selection of meds and all the other things all of us stock up on. Epidemics/Pandemics have a stronger history with man that just about any other threat and rank right up there with fire and weather for numbers killed. This includes the possibility of weaponized diseases.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_catastrophic_risks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandemic

Quote Originally Posted by hayshaker View Post
    it scares me somewhat too HUNTER i was only trying to make light of it .as for
    bieing prepared for that i could hole up now and not need a thing. all good here.
    have coffee will survive.
    Yeah gottacha.........No worries......

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I'm reminded of War of the Worlds (the original) in which the Martian's defeated everything we had and were brought down by a simple cold virus. We are oh so close to the same reality. A percentage of my preps are for this very thing including gloves, masks, clothing, a general selection of meds and all the other things all of us stock up on. Epidemics/Pandemics have a stronger history with man that just about any other threat and rank right up there with fire and weather for numbers killed. This includes the possibility of weaponized diseases.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_catastrophic_risks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandemic
    I remember my Mom telling me how terrified she was listening to that radio broadcast. She didn't catch the "disclaimer" at the beginning and thought is was real, as did many others.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Millions of Africans are currently living under the very real need for such a guide as this, from the wide varieties of epidemic diseases currently and frequently making their rounds' through nations with poor infrastructure and often poor education. The current two Ebolavirus epidemics have the potential to be resolved - even merely by understanding and widespread public practice of self protection protocols - or to topple governments and badly chill already struggling economies. They are relatively mild as far as infectious disease epidemics go and are already outpacing the medical infrastructures of a couple of those countries. Public understanding is the far greater resource.

I've been confident that if the virus came to the US eventually we would be even better suited than the nations already coping with it to prevent a major public health crisis, but now its first uncontrolled case has made it to Texas where many of my family live and understanding and confidence help but don't calm all the nerves no matter how well founded. Fear can be the biggest impact; one new case in an entire country and it's already got this 'keep it in perspective' and 'understand the problem' guy nervous despite knowing pretty well better.

This is surely not a purely academic exercise.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.