Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pandemic Survival

Default Pandemic Survival

I'm wanting to build some content for the site covering pandemic survival, really just a compendium of reference information on infectious or possibly items used in bioterrorism, or just new emerging viruses that are becoming more common or spreading to the US or other developed nations for the first time. Quite frankly, from my own personal perspective. I don't think we're going to have another civil war, I don't think there will be a nuclear winter, I don't think aliens will attack, or zombies, or economic meltdown destroying society as we know it. But the odds of there being a major pandemic in my lifetime seem pretty good.

I'm looking for help brainstorming on what it should cover.

ebola
    SARS
    MERS
    small pox
    anthrax
    ricin
    swine flu
    bird flu
    west nile virus
    spanish flu
    other influenzas
    Chikungunya
    marburg
    hantavirus
    lassa
    rabies
    dengue fever
    bubonic plaque

If you want my two bits I think it should be fundamentally divided by categores or classes of transmission vectors with a section on general hygiene protocols and more specific prophylactic measures for each category along with references to the diseases which fall into them.

It could be laid out in a very organized manner that way without having to dedicate huge space to each disease to be considered.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Hygiene, a perimeter to distance the threat (fencing etc)...a clean room facility like in one of the rooms in your house if the outbreak gets too serious (in vicinity of the house or shelter)..The shelter or your refuge should have the capacity to house several fire places...boil abundance of water. Ready certain medications that help boost your antibody.
    Sterilize all tools and also stock disinfectants.
    And lastly, pray! Diseases are the silent enemy and you cannot shoot them.
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm....

Are you thinking about the possibility of natural disasters like Hurricanes, flooding, train derailments with toxic spills...?....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Its Pandemic!
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    If you want my two bits I thinkit should be fundamentally divided by categores or classes of transmission vectors with a section on general hygiene protocols and more specific prophylactic measures for each category along with references to the diseases which fall into them.

It could be laid out in a very organized manner that way without having to dedicate huge space to each disease to be considered.
    Couldn't agree more; that's the approach I would take in organizing it (a grid system?), and at the very least, putting down some cliff notes to be expanded as new info becomes available.

That's a very good list. However, there are several other diseases that can cause pandemic. They include:

Cholera
    Typhus
    Yellow Fever
    Viral Hemorrhagic Fever
    Typhoid
    Measles (yes, it kills it large numbers)
    Tuberculosis
    Malaria
    Yellow Fever
    Mad Cow Disease

Here is a link that divides the diseases into Categories by their severity as Canid suggested.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bioterrorism

Some diseases could be used as bioterrorism while others are more naturally occurring but still pose a viable threat on a global scale. I think a section for pandemic would be great. Pandemics are a real threat and one more reason to prepare.

I see a couple examples for transmission category as such:

• intimate and caregiver contact (e.g. viral hepatitis, Ebolavirus, cholera, diphtheria, etc)
    • casual social contact (influenza, etc)
    • casual exposure to fluid residue persisting on surfaces (influenza, tuberculosis, polioviruses, etc.)
    • aerosolized fluids (influenza, diphtheria, etc)
    • contamination of food and watersources (cholera, polioviruses, viral hepatitis, etc),

where the major sections could be descriptions these transmission categories, each listing the diseases to which they apply even if they occur in multiple categories, and include precautions, remediation methods.

And then perhaps description of or references to external info on the various diseases.

This would allow for treating the prophylactic and avoidance from the generic towards the specific and avoid the need for redundant information.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

My plan is to stay to heck away from everybody as much as possible, and wear as much protection as possible before contact with anybody outside the people In my direct family that lives in my house. So anybody beside myself and the girls needs to leave the property!
    I know that isn't as easy as it sounds, but is probably the safest plan. Am I making this too simple?

In one respect in particular: yes, you are oversimplifying. Your stated position presupposes that your direct family are not a threat vector. This may or may not be true, depending on their willingness and ability to avoid exposure themselves. Can all of you remain in long term isolation for the duration of any such epidemic? If you apply the appropriate principles of prophylaxis, such complete isolation would not be an absolute necessity in the first place, and as such needn't limit your capabilities and opportunities absolutely.

Assuming the disease is not air borne or borne by some insect or rodent then you have to consider how long the infectious agent can remain viable outside the host. Simply picking up your mail out of the mailbox could be a potential source of the right disease if someone infected handled it. Lot's to consider but it all focuses on which disease, how it's transmitted and how long it can survive in the environment.

I'm all for information on problems like this.
    History tell us that this may be the biggest all around threat....that isn't just a local occurrence.

Good thought about getting your mail, Rick....that was my first thought as well.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

You also have to consider that those in the affected areas just might not show up for work for fear of contracting the "whatever" illness. That includes, utilities, grocery chain, medical, military, etc. The first thing I thought of when I heard we are sending 3000 troops to Liberia was what must those folks be thinking? I certainly would not want to be in one of those units being sent there.

I can go to work today, make (fill in an amount) and contract "whatever" or I can stay home and defend my family. Not much to think about in that scenario. At least for me.

I hope they are thinking they can ship over there, establish the new field hospitals, evaluate triage, treatment and quarantine capabilities and training and come back home with minimal exposure, and moreover, I hope they're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    My plan is to stay to heck away from everybody as much as possible, and wear as much protection as possible before contact with anybody outside the people In my direct family that lives in my house. So anybody beside myself and the girls needs to leave the property!
    I know that isn't as easy as it sounds, but is probably the safest plan. Am I making this too simple?
    Starting when?
    By the time it hits the news and you find out about it, you might have already been affected. Some diseases have a long incubation period.

Being where I am, I know there is only so much I can reasonably do; the rest is beyond my control.

I think it's a great idea to have a section like this. Breaking it up into groups as Canid suggested is a good idea. Discussing prevention strategies could be very beneficial. We'd have to be careful with the information posted and avoid the fantasy or B movie stuff.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Wait; hold the train... Are you saying no zombie/rage virus section? Not even to bring a bit of levity?

Yes please! This is a great idea.
    Survival happens daily.

Here's some very useful info from WHO & CDC-- a manual for health workers in Africa.
    There is even a section (annex V/pg.149) on how to make protective clothing.

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/abroad/pdf/af...etting-vhf.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    If you want my two bits I think it should be fundamentally divided by categores or classes of transmission vectors with a section on general hygiene protocols and more specific prophylactic measures for each category along with references to the diseases which fall into them.

I have to think of things in terms of what people are likely to search for on Google that would bring them here. Very few will search for "prevention for fluid transmitted infection" but lots of people will search for "prevent ebola infection" The goal is to provide information, but the goal is also to build website traffic.

But lots of good ideas otherwise everyone, keep them coming.