Thread: emergency food buckets now at my favorite grocery store

Default emergency food buckets now at my favorite grocery store

My local Winco recently started carrying these:
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I'm not sure how recently, but it can't be very long ago. I wonder what prompted it.

I won't be buying these as a serious emergency option, but I would be half tempted to pick them up just to review them if I could do so at the moment.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Like every other retailer they are trying to compete. All the big names carry some form now.

"Sir, there's a guy in isle 5 taking pictures of survival food."
    "Call a code Camo!"

I tried a brand of "shelf stable" food (can't recall the name ATM), but it was horrible.
    I guess if I was starving I would eat it, but the dogs wouldn't go near it.
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    "Sir, there's a guy in isle 5 taking pictures of survival food."
    "Call a code Camo!"
    Don't be silly: they never saw me. They didn't have a chance.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

I've never seen anything like that before, is there food inside or are these just for storing? And what is the 72 hours for?
    ╔══╗
    ║╔╗║ 。◕ ‿ ◕。
    ║╚╝╠══╦╦══╦═╗
    ║╔╗║╔╗║║║║║╩╣
    ╚╝╚╩╝╚╩╩╩╩╩═╝

Quote Originally Posted by TrueNord View Post
    I've never seen anything like that before, is there food inside or are these just for storing? And what is the 72 hours for?
    It's merely packets of dehydrated/freeze dried food inside. The bucket makes for convenient storage and transport.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

interesting. I may pick me up a few... In case of a zombies apocalypse of course.
    ╔══╗
    ║╔╗║ 。◕ ‿ ◕。
    ║╚╝╠══╦╦══╦═╗
    ║╔╗║╔╗║║║║║╩╣
    ╚╝╚╩╝╚╩╩╩╩╩═╝

It is interesting that these are becoming mainstream. Maybe taking responsibility for your own safety isn't so crazy after all. I wonder if the sheep are getting scared or if it is just good marketing. Regardless the more people that have long term food the less immediate panic and looting. Gives us all time to get to BOL's before the wheels come off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueNord View Post
    The 72 hrs meant that the food in there is adequate for 72 hrs per person.
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Tried them, didn't care for them. Prefer to put my own food stores together with things I do like. But they would do in an emergency I guess if one was really hungry !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

The one I looked up comes with the food, eating and cooking gear.

I agree. Most of the long term food star ages you buy on the market aren't much good. I've had the expensive Wise Company foods. It was ok but not Outback! For me, I stock up on MREs. I'm one of those rare guys who loves them, and the local National Gaurd will give them for free and since I left active duty Army I reenlisted in the Reserves to keep my benefits and I get MREs there also. But without this awesome opportunity I'd rather store my own foods

When I was younger from High School and the first year of college, I worked at a grocery store. I've never seen anything like this were I worked, so I'm intrigued. If you try it, tell me what it's like.

Before you purchase any of the these 'bucket food' packages - take a hard look at the ingredients.

Much of the food sold for 'emergency' use is sky-high in sodium. For one meal, not too big a deal, for a week, may be a problem.

You can do better packing your own oatmeal, parboiled (Minute) rice, soup mixs (Knorr comes to mind) and so on - for far less money than these buckets.

Quote Originally Posted by dkr View Post
    Before you purchase any of the these 'bucket food' packages - take a hard look at the ingredients.

Much of the food sold for 'emergency' use is sky-high in sodium. For one meal, not too big a deal, for a week, may be a problem.

You can do better packing your own oatmeal, parboiled (Minute) rice, soup mixs (Knorr comes to mind) and so on - for far less money than these buckets.
    Nothing wrong with home packaged products.....Shelf life may not be as good a the commercial "bucket foods".

We try to keep a selection of canned, frozen, dried....as well a bulk canned grains, beans and such.
    The buckets are supplements........and can be stored in many conditions.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Interesting. My old Sams Club sold 30 day buckets but they were $100+. Must eat good for 3 days if it's a whole bucket.
    R.I.P.

SFC Raymond Munden
    CPL Charles Gaffney
    SSG Nolan P. Barham

http://s1357.photobucket.com/user/Wi...3126b.gif.html

The bucket serves as a Pilsner Feed Bag

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.