Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rain shelter?

1stimestar, see the review of the Sea to Summit Tarp poncho...this means carry less item as its both a poncho and a tarp...very very light, small pack or hang it outside of backpack.

I have 2 of them....very very good and reliable.

http://www.barefootjake.com/2012/06/...rp-review.html

Or take a look at the web site

http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/6

or its u tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2m95EwExnc
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

I use the Stratospire 2 from Tarptents. It is a 1-2 person UL shelter that uses trekking poles to set up. The "tarp" can be set up alone, as well as the inside netted bug protection and bathtub footprint.

Take a look, many pictures.

http://www.tarptent.com/stratospire2.html
    Last edited by wilderness medic; 10-28-2014 at 12:53 AM.

I generally use a poly tarp, size depends on the number of folks and duration of the camp site.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

I grabbed the 4 awning panels from a screen tent that was being tossed by a friend.
    Some grommets and nylon webbing give them versatility. What I would like to figure out, is how to bind 2 together so I could make an A frame with closable ends.
    They fold up fairly small and don't weigh too much either.

Can you install snaps like a pup tent?

I have always opted for tarp 10x12 easy to pack you can create more variations than a tent can offer, I also build dakota fire pits in mine, small fire but hot and remains fairly hidden, Tarp I use is brown on one side silver on the other I use the silver side facing the fire to reflect the heat and the brown exterior acts as camo. Ricks diagram of using a rock works well as long as no sharp edges, usally keep a bag of marbles in my pack for both slingshot ammo and to use in place of the rocks in create tie offs on the tarp
    Semper Paratus

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Can you install snaps like a pup tent?
    Rick,

Not a bad idea at all, thanks.

If you set your snaps in about three or four inches from the edge on the section that snaps on top you'll have an overlap that should help shed water at the ridge.

A tarp or similar arrangement can certainly enlarge it but I find that the craft itself makes a fine shelter. I believe I've seen Voyageur paintings of that exact setup.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Tokwan,

I would think being in a tropical environment you would not like ponchos over more breathable rain gear. Ponchoes are sweaty and drip when active in them. I own a poncho tarp. But, I have a couple of different rain jackets I would choose first.

I have used the tarp on my hammock. This is pulled taught for head room and shade.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Tarp and cheapo parachute hammock

I have a grommet emergency blanket in my pack along with a couple of contractor garbage bags. I prefer sand buttons and have tied the garbage bags into shelters with good results. We have used large tarps in place of our normal easy ups. I would just say don't go too big. The wind in a storm will play havoc on a tarp that is too big.

I have a sil nylon tarp that is 16' X 12' and even mild winds put a load on it. I have found it a challenge not to tear the tarp when getting it tight enough. I had to send the first one back because the grommets suck and the tie in strap ripped.

I have decades worth of retired camping tents with poles. I am going to use that tarp to make a covered wagon out of my 16' trailer we haul the ATVs on.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    If you set your snaps in about three or four inches from the edge on the section that snaps on top you'll have an overlap that should help shed water at the ridge.
    Yup, I can see it now.
    Not just a pretty face and hong model eh?

Hi Batch, yep. the army ponchos are sweaty and drip, but not the Sea To Summit Tarp /Poncho..its simple great for my weather, why? the foliage is thick and filters out the rain when you are in a certain area...it depends on what tarp poncho you are using....and it is very very lightweight..almost ultralight.
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Quote Originally Posted by Farley View Post
    I grabbed the 4 awning panels from a screen tent that was being tossed by a friend.
    Some grommets and nylon webbing give them versatility. What I would like to figure out, is how to bind 2 together so I could make an A frame with closable ends.
    They fold up fairly small and don't weigh too much either.
    Also maybe able to stich or glue Velcro as well.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

I was thinking snaps or guy out loops would last longer in high winds. Velcro would probably do well, but if I'm getting out the tools and sewing machine, I might as well go whole hog!

If a tarp is set up in a way that is the most durable, it should last an entire winter. The grommets should be no problem and they shouldn't wear in areas that rub constantly. You shouldn't need to tend them constantly....or at all.
    What happens with tarps that are tied down with ropes is that the wind whips the tarp up and down and the rope becomes a bit loose and enventually it moves like a bull whip and will tear apart the grommet and tarp no matter how well sewn. Simple weights, rather than tie down ropes, hung from the grommets is usually sufficient to solve the problem. If you want to go a step futher to increase the longevity of the tarp, you can run a rope in and out of the grommets rather loosely and then put a long stick in and out of the rope and tie your ropes from this pole. This will put even pressure on all the grommets as well as a weight to stop the bull whipping from the wind. But of course, tying to a flexible tree ,some weights or bungie cords will help.
    Another problem with a tarp is that it will sag and collect the rain, snow and ice. A ridge pole works pretty good. But even this good method has it's limitations. Eventually the pole will wear the tarp with it's sharper points or knots.
    The ideal is to take a sapling and shove it up under the tarp and spread it's branches to form a perfect umbrella. the tiny branches will not wear the tarp. The limbs will become places to hang coats, packs, pans, things that need to dry....everything. If it is not done properly it will eventually fall. A living rooted sapling is ideal and can't fall.
    This is just a very basic explanation of methods of using tarps that comes from experience that I doubt is on the internet. Experience and watching the tarp in the wind will teach you how you need to adjust your tarp to keep it from being damaged.

Instead of a center pole I use paracord to form the peak just as in Batch's 2nd pic. I've never had a problem with it wearing the tarp. There was light rain in the forecast for this pic so I put up the tarp for a little more 'living" area.

Frankly, that is the practice (of having a other cover over your tent or hammock) that should be followed. If not, you will be stuck in the tent the whole day. With an extra cover, you ensure you sleep dry, and you can do other activities under the cover without getting wet.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

That's what I was wanting it for Tok.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Banned

Default Misc DIY ideas and Fabric pros and cons

If you are using it near a fire material resistant to embers like 500 denier may be worth it especially if your primary transport is canoe/ATV or pack horse etc.:

Here is just one example but there are probably 100 more if you go looking:
    http://www.rockywoods.com/Fabrics-Ki...-Retardant-ACU

Water resistant and treated with flame retardant.

All you need to know is how to sew a basic seam on a sewing machine or know someone who does.

Here are some patterns but search around and you can find many more on YT etc.:

http://diygearsupply.com/diy-guides/tarps/

A very simple symmetrical diamond tarp with cat-cut edges is fast and simple to set up but does not protect as well from strong winds with driving rain/sleet/snow like the other more complex patterns which require more guy-lines and time to set up and take down.

When not by a fire and in the summer time I like SilNylon but a small fire ember will melt a hole in this fabric.

One of several methods to make a cat-cut on a tarp, jump to minute 1:40. use this this concept regardless of what fabric you chose. Heck you could buy cheap Tyvek and glue it with super glue and/or duct-tape:

cat-cut edges reduce all that wind flapping noise.
    Last edited by TXyakr; 11-21-2014 at 01:26 PM. Reason: how to cat-cut

Ever since the early days, and after the pup tents ...there was always some sort of fly......

From the cheapy Kmart Tent....we used a screen house set up over the tent....hung the center tie.... up in a tree.
    You can really make your life more pleasant....several different set ups....

Newest SG tent, Walmart awning....

Rondy...

Early Kitchen fly used with Tipi....

One of the Alaska show, can't remember the name....but a guy wife (Inuit) and 3 daughters det up summer camp and using a kitchen fly.....for out door shelter in bad weather
    Last edited by hunter63; 11-21-2014 at 01:58 PM. Reason: added pic
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27