Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rain shelter?

If you ever take my advice on anything, take it now.

Get a 10'x12', at least, tarp. The minimalist human body sized tarps are for children who don't ache and creak in the morning.

"I'm only sorta wet"; was OK before arthritis, it isn't now.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Also in all seriousness, if one finds themselves in a rockless environment, you can just cut off short sections of a thin bush or tree branch that are ohh say about one inch square give or take.

Plain old knot works as well......LOL...
    Some time we over think stuff and over gear it....lets face it this isn't supposed to last 300 years, just till the rain stops, or morning comes....

So the "OMG I don't have a rock ....must be I'm gonna die"...should be looked at is "Well, plan "c" says, knot....."
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Plain old knot works as well......LOL...
    Some time we over think stuff and over gear it....lets face it this isn't supposed to last 300 years, just till the rain stops, or morning comes....

So the "OMG I don't have a rock ....must be I'm gonna die"...should be looked at is "Well, plan "c" says, knot....."
    How does a knot around tarp work? I've been tarp camping for 30 yrs and without a keeper (rock, short stick, a coin, piece of ice) to tie around, or a grommet or loop to tie to, you don't have overhead cover for long. You have a ground cloth waiting to happen.

You also don't wait till it rains to set up your tarp or take it down when the rain stops.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    How does a knot around tarp work? I've been tarp camping for 30 yrs and without a keeper (rock, short stick, a coin, piece of ice) to tie around, or a grommet or loop to tie to, you don't have overhead cover for long. You have a ground cloth waiting to happen.

You also don't wait till it rains to set up your tarp or take it down when the rain stops.
    No ship?.........Well thank you for your concern................

Well, I not gonna go out ruin a garbage bag to show how a knot can be tied in all four corners, so as to tie it up if needed....I sure most people are aware how to tie a simple knot.

Only used it in a rain storm that came up........
    Point is that some time things don't go as planned.

I sort of picture myself standing under about six gallons of pooled water staring at a knot thinking. "Yeah, it's slipping. Not gonna hold long. Best move."

You are tying the actual tarp?

I can see how that would work once.

What ever....................I guess thinking and doing out side the box doesn't apply.....
    Like I said....not all things go as planned.

Carry on...I guess you had to be there.

Does the S is WSF stand for snarky?

If done correctly, a person can bunch up a corner of the tarp and tie a knot around the bunch tightly leaving a suitable length of tag end on the rope. Now take the left over tarp corner and fold it back on to itself right at the knot. Now tie another tight knot "above" or beyond the first knot around the bunched up corner AND the folded corner end, tying them together against each other and you are good to go. If done correctly with nylon tarp it won't slip.

I think that sounds like a great video to do so that people who learn visually can see what to do if a grommet comes loose. I will see if I can do a video on that today. If I get it done, I will start a new thread here so as not to hijack this one.

Deleted ...Not gonna play...........
    Last edited by hunter63; 09-16-2014 at 03:59 PM. Reason: not playing.

It all works. Tie a knot in the corner then tie the rope on.

I will have to second the 10x12 tarp! Having one a bit wee big is WAAAY better than a bit wee small!!

If I am carrying in my pack for field, I LOVE my USMC field tarp.
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...827&mfe=search

EB

When a rock is nowhere to be found, I've always been able to find dirt and leaf debris to make the "button."
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Think of other alternatives..what is a rock for? One can use a piece of wood, or about anything else. This is a survival forum, and its all about alternatives. What ever you do, if it works, and you survive, then its right!
    You can tie the end of a tarp, then fold the corner over a knot and tie again..it will hold...practice , practice and practice!
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

I hate grommets, so I would just take the grommet out and sew in a webbing loop......before I leave home. Now I don't need a rock, or a knot.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

A 10x12 tarp from Walmart or Harbor Frieght would be great. Don't forget 550 cord. And I'd suggest something I've done on my kayak once. I built some poles for 3/4 PVC and harnessed it to the kayak. Could do well on a canoe if the rain comes down hard.

I came across this video of a emergency rain shelter with a reflective inside and a thicker coating on the outside. Granted this isn't by any means a long term or muti-use shelter or tarp. But the idea is flawless, build a fire closer to your shelter to have the heat reflect off the inside of your shelter and stay warm for those cold nights or even winter months.

Maybe some tinkering to a tarp could achieve this idea but more of a long term and muti-use shelter.

Here is the video,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTgl...y4X3lLCjhw3UaQ

Looks a lot like a lightweight casualty blanket.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness